Nikon DSLR suggestions for a friend...

asimrazakhan

<p>A close librarian friend of mine who lives here in Turkey needs suggestions on which DSLR body to get. Canon and Nikon are prevalent here, so she believes that it would be best for her to go that route (better services and accessories available if needed).</p>

<p>She is new to photography but I can already see that she has the right attitude as she said to me 'the photgrapher matters more than the equipment.'</p>

<p>She doesn't yet have a style developed, but is really interested in learning photography from the ground up. </p>

<p>She has 700 - 800 US dollars to spend. Her friend is visiting NYC and will be making the purchase at B&H photo.</p>

<p>Of course it would be a big plus to purchase a kit so that she can end up with a lens as well in this price range.</p>

<p>Please make suggestions on which body and perhaps which lens she should go with. Again, she is fine with either Canon or Nikon... she just wants the best bang for the buck.</p>

<p>Thank you very much...</p>

<p>Both Canon and Nikon make a camera/lens combination in your friend's price range. Specifically the Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm for $599 or add the 55-200mm lenses for $743; and the Canon's T3 with 18-55mm for $449 come to mind.</p>

<p>Both are good, entry level cameras and are a good value for their relatively low cost. I personally am a Nikon shooter and would generally push for my friends/family to shoot Nikon for the sole reason that we can share equipment if needed. What your friend should do is to physically handle the cameras in the price range and figure out which is more comfortable to use. Whichever is more comfortable to use is the one that your friend should purchase.</p>

<p>Hope this helps<br>

RS</p>

<p>Absolutely correct, get her the Nikon D3100 or the Canon T2i with 18-55mm lens. A good second lens is the $200 Nikon 55-200VR or Canon 55-250 IS. From there, it's really preference, but if she is going with Nikon, the 35mm f/1.8G is another good lens to add, and then maybe the 85mm f/3.5 micro. That should cover lens needs, and then invest in an SB600 or SB700 flash and a good tripod. After that, she should know enough about photography to know what she needs herself, but if I were in her position, in about 2 years I'd look at upgrading the midrange zoom, as that's the lens used for 80-90% of most shots.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>How about Pentax and Sony?</p>

</blockquote>

<blockquote>

<p>Canon and Nikon are prevalent here, so she believes that it would be best for her to go that route (better services and accessories available if needed).</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd go for a D5100...same sensor as a D7000, so it has the best image quality currently available in a Nikon DX body. The D5100 also has more features than the D3100. B&H has a kit available just under USD $800. Good luck. <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764102-REG/Nikon_D_5100_Digital_SLR_Camera.html">Link to D5100</a></p>

<p>I'd have recommended a D90 instead, for the ability to use older AF lenses, but it seems to exceed the budget as sold new.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Her friend is visiting NYC and will be making the purchase at B&H photo.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Is there a reason not to buy in Türkiye ? <br>

If she would have need for a waranty service anyhow ( you never can tell.. ), the equipment bought in the USA could pose a problem in that regard...</p>

<p>Buying locally means spending about 300-400 dollars more on just the body. Thats 50 percent more than her budget. She would have to downgrade to a lesser body in order to stay within the budget.</p>

<p>I posted this question on the nikon and canon forums. i use pentax, leica, and rollei, but i wouldn't suggest these for her as they are not readily available in turkey.</p>

<p>thank you everyone for all the suggestions. i'll keep checking back for more ideas.</p>

<blockquote>

<p> i use pentax, leica, and rollei, but i wouldn't suggest these for her as they are not readily available in turkey.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not a problem, since her friend will buy it in NYC, she can easily get some Pentax,like a used *istD with a bunch of lenses including primes and manual</p>