Need to replace my old CRT

<p>Hey guys, I have an old Samsung Syncmaster 997 DF monitor I still use that I bought way back in 2004. I will be getting a new PC (Dell XPS 8300) and I figured I should upgrade my monitor.</p>

<p>What do the gurus suggest? I will mostly be using it for my photo needs (photo editing using cs2), maybe a few games and then maybe movies (very rare). What monitor would best suit my needs? My budget is around $300-$400.</p>

<p>Thanks.</p>

<p>I'm no expert on the high-end photo-editing monitors, but a good friend is. He spends a LOT more than $400 for his monitors, some of which are still CRTs.<br>

Accuracy of color is the key, but I am of the opinion that a decent, "calibratable" monitor will do for most of us who are not doing this professionally (=$$$).</p>

<p>I've had good luck over the years with Sony monitors of all kinds.</p>

<p>I just had to replace my old CRT because it would not hold calibration longer then a couple of days. If your CRT is still working well I would not replace it. But if you really feel the need I have been mostly happy with my Dell U2410 monitor<br>

It does not game as well as I would like and there is a little warm up time when you first fire it up.<br>

But it has very good color and holds calibration well also my desk thanked me when I took the old 24 inch CRT off of it</p>

<p>I don't know specific models in that price range. However, I can offer the following suggestions:</p>

<p>You don't want dynamic contrast, or at least you want the ability to disable it. DC will muck up any calibration you do.</p>

<p>You don't need a particularly bright monitor.</p>

<p>You do need a monitor with a large viewing angle for consistent colors.</p>

<p>FAIW, I used my ColorMunki system to calibrate a Dell 1905FP monitor to use on a very long road trip. (I wasn't going to travel with my NEC Multisync PA241W.) It worked pretty well, and I got a good calibration. I think the most important thing is having a good calibration system.</p>

<p>NEC SpectraView (PA series are the newest). Be sure to get their calibration software and a supported instrument for calibration. It now supports the new X-Rite i1Display Pro which is about the best instrument out now. </p>

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management" (pluralsight.com)

<p>We're just getting a couple of new replacement systems, and our current setup is using CRT's. Decided to just upgrade the actual computers and stay with our current monitors. Couldn't see the point of an "upgrade", with the current monitors working fine: save a few bucks, better for the environment, less hassle..</p>

<p>+1 for the Dell U2410. I think it's the best value out there. Unlike Michael, I;m not a gamer so I don't care about its performance in that area. But for photo editing, I think it's great. Google it and I think you'll find that it keeps up with monitors that are several times its price.</p>

<p>You should look for a panel that uses IPS technology; they'll give you the best color.</p>

• 4 weeks later...