Sankyo KoKi japan Komura Lens

<p>OK I got this lens I have been on the web via Google and Yahoo , and I can not find information<br>

on this lens or its company of that time period . Was hoping to find info on the lens itself but no avail or lack of my hunting skills on the web. Does any one here have this lens ,if so how well does it do on 35mm film, I got it for one of my Exakta cameras I now have<br>

The lens Is a 135mm F-2.8 serial No.3250338 Sankyo KoKi Japan Komura<br>

I know take it out and use it , I hate surprises whether good or bad : :) <br>

And my humble apology for taking up your time on this simple request : VBG</p>

<p>The 135mm f2.8 lenses from the 60's and 70's are as common as grass with well established design parameters and I doubt there are many 'bad' ones. It will probably be at least a C grade, with middle of the pack performance. But it could turn out to be a real A or B grade gem too. That could depend a lot on what aperture you select, with the usual 5.6-8-11 range being the best compromise performance wise. In testing, I would use a tripod and remote release to reduce (but not always eliminate) camera vibration/movement as a variable. Shoot, if possible, at all apertures from 2.8 to 16 and carefully compare results side by side, especially in the corners of the frame. By the way, have you used any other brands of 135mm lenses? If so, they could provide valuable comparison data and you could determine at least if you liked one better than the other even if you can't tell, in absolute terms if either is a top notch lens.</p>

<p>Oh, and one more thing. Be very careful with focus and if possible focus at working aperture to correct for focus shift if working at close distance. A *very slight* missed focus could masquerade as poor resolution and skew or at least confuse judgement of lens quality. If you have a plain matte screen for your Exakta use that as screens with split-wedge and micro-prism focusing aids are not very useful especially when the lens is stopped down.</p>

<p>Hi Lauren! I had a Komura 135mm f/2.8 back in 1973 with a Praktica Nova 1b and later with a Pentax Spotmatic II. It was excellent, sharp, heavy and sturdy. A problem these days will be getting hold of the Uni-Auto interchangeable mounts. Here in South Africa, I recently bought a Komura 200mm f/3.5 with Pentax screw mount "for old times sake". It has also proved to be very good and the finish is outstanding. Komura made a variety of lenses for medium format and for Leica screw-mount. Their enlarging lenses rivalled those by Nikon. Just Google <Komura lenses> or <Komura 135mm f2.8>. I take it yours came with the Uni-Auto mount for Exakta.</p>

<p>Komura lenses for Exakta came in dedicated mounts (uncommonly) and in two types of interchangeable mounts. <br>

The first interchangeable mount was the Unidapter system, which was much like a T-mount, but with different thread diameter (larger). The adpaters are chrome, and thread onto the lens. They will be engraved "UNI. EXA MADE IN JAPAN" for lenses to fit Exakta and Topcon.<br>

The second interchangeable mount was Uni-Auto, which added auto-diaphragm, but not (on most mounts) full-aperture metering. These mounts bayonet onto the lens, there's a chrome push-button to release the mount, and the mount will be engraved "UNI AUTO". There are both Topcon and Exakta Uni-Auto mount adapters, the Topcon one uses a small lever on the back to stop-down, where the Exakta one uses a button that pushes the shutter button.<br>

I have a Unidapter Komura 135/2.8, but I've never tried it. I bought it just for the Exakta mount, to put on the much more interesting 100/1.8 Komura lens (which came with an M42 Unidapter).</p>

<p>John Shiver: then I have a dedicated mount on mine.Thanks for the information: Will post fotos of it when I finish a roll of with it and a CZJ Triotar 135mm F-3.5 lens and the Komura 135mm F-2.8 and its a preset with two rings on it : inner ring rotates to open or close the outer one sets the F-stops and fifteen iris leaves in it:</p>

• 1 month later...

I used a Komura 100 f1.8 lens for several years on my nikons with a t mount modified to fit the unidapter thread. It was

quite sharp and had wonderful bokeh. I used it in low light events, circus, basketball etc. so it rarely got stopped down. I

used it on a Lumix G1 with great success and it is much easier to use with this digital camera than it ever was on my film

bodies. Komura are all very well made and are now commanding high values from collectors and for digital use where

high speed lenses are scarce.