Canham's new 6x17 back , opinions solicited

claire_curran

"Response to Canham's new 6x17 back , opinions solicited"

Officially it is not a back. It fits onto a back so it really is a film holder or magazine.

I recently got mine. IT IS BEAUTIFUL. I have not run film through it yet. I am looking forward to the weekend. I have a date with a brick of 120 film. The craftmanship of the film holder is stellar. The fit and finish is first rate. Keith Canham did a really good job.

I brought my 617 film holder down to a local photo shop who does not sell KB Canham equpiment because they wanted to see it. They were all very impressed. The on/off switch seems a little small and perhaps a little week - but only time will tell. It is a very simple design which is good.

There is not a lot to complicate things. To load the film you attach the spool of film into the magazine like any ordinary 120 magazine. Then you depress an advance button and the film is advanced to the first frame. After taking the first shot you depress the advance button again and it advances the film to the second frame. After shooting the fourth frame, when you depress the advance button it automatically advances the film for removal from the magazine.

There are four LED lights that light up to tell you what frame you are on. After the entire roll is shot and the film automatically advances all four LED light blink until the film is removed.

When loading and unloading film there are two levers, one on each side, that get pivoted out and away. This seperates the base (the 5X7 plate that faces in toward the camera giving a light tight seal with the camera) from the film magazine component. You the load/unload the film and replace the magazine to its base. The entire system works well and I think you will be happy with it.

Hope this is helpful.

Claire

I just got off the phone with Fred Newman who owns The View Camera Store in Arizona. Fred answered a lot of my questions.

You must use the 5x7 focusing screen, then remove it and substitute the 6x17 back, using the camera's Graflok system. You don't have to remove the whole back on a metal 5x7. Canham makes a 5x7 screen that is inscribed with lines to show what you are getting with the 6x17 back. All you need to do is take out the regular glass of the 5x7 and put in the new one plus the original fresnel and you are in business. Fred seemed very impressed with the quality and workmanship of the new Canham back, and he has never steered me wrong. I think the back will work with any 5x7 camera with a Graflok system.