Anyone using the EF 28mm f1.8 on full frame?

smooth_carrots

<p>I own it and used to use it frequently on FF units (5D and now 5D2). I don't use it very frequently anymore, but that's really more because of how I shoot, most of the time the 24-70 @f2.8 is fast enough.</p>

<p>IME, WO, the edge sharpness is pretty bad (though center is still very good, yes, even WO), @ f2, it's controlled, but still noticeable, and by f2.8 it's not bad at all. The 24/1.4 is better by about one step (though WO, it's not great either), until f4, at which point the two are pretty indistinguishable in overall IQ. </p>

<p>Is it worth it (the extra $1000 to go with the 24/1.4 over the 28/1.8)? not in my opinion, for me, but if you plan on shooting @ f1.4, and <em>need</em> the best available (though still not great) IQ @f1.4->2, or want a red ring, it may be worth it to you.</p>

<p>I've owned the 24L II, and had some brief experience with the 28 1.8. The 24L II is amazing, even wide open. Very sharp, better than the 35L even. The 28mm 1.8 did not impress me, much softer.</p>

<p>Check out the user reviews here...</p>

<p>http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?perpage=12&sort=4&cat=2&ppuser=</p>

<p>The 24L II is rated 9.6 out of 10, while the 28 1.8 is rated 8.3 out of 10 (fourth worst lens).</p>

A 28/1.8 was my most-used lens on a 5D for several years, until the focusing mechanism needed repair and I upgraded to a 24/1.4. Though it's a lousy lens for photographing test charts wide open, in the real world it's quite good. In situations where I was shooting wide open, camera shake and motion blur were bigger problems than a lack of lens resolution. Stopped down a bit, it's much sharper. Its biggest flaw is flare when there are big, bright light sources in the frame.

The 24/1.4 is better in every way except size (28 is much more compact). But it does cost more than three times as much.

<p>Thanks for the responses. I forgot to mention that I intend to use the lens mainly from 1.4 - 2.2 (i.e. almost wide open). Performance at apertures smaller than f2.8 does not really concern me.</p>

<p>Sigma also do a 24mm f1.8 and a 28mm f1.8 although I have no idea what they are like.</p>

<p>If you are planning on using the lens at f1.4 getting the 28/1.8 might be a mistake. ;-) but seriously, if you <em>need</em> the best <em>available</em> IQ @f1.4 (and around there), the 24/1.4 is the one to get. It is definetly better performing than the 28/1.8 in real life.</p>

<p>As far as those wide Sigmas (24/1.8 & 28/1.8), I wouldn't waste my money. they are ridiculously bad WO, worse by a considerable margin than the EF 28/1.8</p>

<p>Just to chime in:</p>

<p>I have owned the 28 f/1.8 twice, and both versions of the 24L (two copies of the 24L II). The 28 f/1.8 is fine to use on the 5DmkII, corner sharpness is lacking, but it's great in the center. I was plenty happy with the lens.<br>

Compared to the other two, the 24L mkI is a good lens but I was never THAT impressed with it. I had sold my 24-70L to buy that lens and aside from having f/1.4 I didn't really feel like I was gaining some significant performance and I went back to a 24-70. Down the line I wound up buying a 24L II and I was totally thrilled with it, I let it go for a while because I wanted to try Zeiss lenses but I recently got another copy and it is a superb lens.<br>

Wide open performance is outstanding and the colors the lens produces are truly excellent.<br>

The ONLY thing I prefer about the 28 f/1.8 is its physical size. I like small lenses and unfortunately all of the L lenses are hefty. <br>

If it came down to cost and I had to sell all of my L lenses I would be happy shooting with the 28 f/1.8 again.</p>

<p>I have and use the 28 1.8 on my Canon 5D II and love it. I have compared it to my 85 1.2L and of course the 85 1.2L is better. However, I very seldom use it because it is just too big, heavy and expensive to carry all the time. I love the 28 1.8 because it is small, fast has full time autofocus over ride just like L-series lens. Is well made very light and great for ulrta thin DOP for video. Would I pay that much extra for the 24 1.4L? No Way. Absolutely not. I am actually considering selling the 85 1.2L and getting the 85 1.8 which is much lighter. I find I would rather have a usable lens than a super expensive lens I can't really have fun with because I am too worried bout the cost if it breaks. Also, don't care much about edge sharpness I use this lens to blur everything except center image anyway. I compared the Zeiss, 24 1.4 and the 28 1.8 won due to price and speed.</p>

<p>I use this lens for fashion and portraits at f/2.0. My lens is very contrasty and sharp with rich colour, gives incredible effect of shallow dof and wide angle. I was published with this very lens in good magazines, the photos look fantastic.</p>