between the 2 versions of the pre-asph. So my question is this,

do folks with the latest pre-asph version find ever find

themselves reluctant to use the lens for that reason? I'm

considering going the route of 35 late 'Cron AND a Vg 28 Ultron

for my low light work instead if you guys think I'll be disappointed

in the pre-asph. I've longed for a 35 1.4 for some time so the

comments I've read thus far have been discouraging. Thanks,

JLee

I didn't think much about flare when shooting a 35 pre-ASPH lux.

Comments in Leica Lens Practice hinting that the lens wasn't up to the

snuff of other Leica M lenses inspired the purchase of an ASPH as soon

as the dealer could get one.

A good used one can be had for less than one might thi<div>0041br-10178884.jpeg.5fa231b2ee8a95feee1ed5983c35c0e7.jpeg</div>

An afterthought - if it's a choice of missing the shot for lack of the

extra stop, go for the pre-ASPH 35 'lux if you can't find a good used

Summilux ASPH.

Post 1996 versions of the pre-ASPH 'lux - ser # 2166702 and later -

are a recomputed design with better image quality, according to the

Leica M Compend

If it works, I'll upload a photo here of what my pre-asph 35 lux looks like wide open. This is Tri-X, at about 1/30, handheld, with bright highlights in the windows and glassware behind her head. Perhaps this shows some of the 'flare' some people experience using this lens wide open. Mine is fairly recent; 352xxxx. Shooting in similar situations with the 35 asph makes me think the Summicron would surely have suppressed these highlights much better... even so,

the pre-asph lux does have a unique character.<div>0041eG-10180884.jpg.c06b1f112cdd31769050fb0a5276c712.jpg</div>

In spite of Leica's reputation for having great optics for wide open aperture, is there still a discernible light fall off, or darkness toward the edges and corners of the frame? I don't shoot wide open too often, but it seems that on the pre-asph 35 'cron I've had for 6 months- that's what shows up on the contact sheets the few times I do. It's pretty noticeable, maybe it's something else in the process, I haven't really investigated it yet. Just a related question your post brings to mind...

I own one of these Summilux 35 (sn 3'450'xxx) and also owned the Summicron 35 Version 2 and Version 3.

Because I found it to be enough to own just one 35mm lens, I decided to sell two of them and keep one. To take a decision, I put my M6 on a tripod and shoot some pics at several apertures to compare the three lenses.

I used my filmscanner to digitalize the pics, loaded them into photoshop and compared the three photos side by side.

Since I made this test some time ago, I deleteted the files, so I cannot show them to you. Comparing the pics at their actual pixel size I could clearly see, that the photos made with the Summicrons were sharper, with more visible details and a little bit higher contrast. With a scanning resolution of 2800 dpi you can see that pretty well.

At f1.4 the Summilux really "glows". It creates soft edges, not unsharp - it is difficult to explain. The pictures look soft - that can be very nice, depending on the subject and if you like it of course! At f2 it get's better and at f4 or f5.6 the softness has gone and from there the lens is sharp enough!

This lens has a unique touch, a beautiful color rendition and creates very spacial looking (3D) photos.

As I know they did not produce very much - so it could be a future collectible.

If you need sharp pics at f1.4 or f2 it is probably not the lens to go for. Because I found it to be a very special and compact lens, I kept it and sold the two Summicrons instead. I never experienced flare problems with this lens.

I will probably go for a Summicron pre ASPH (Version 4) sometime. There is no hurry, because I mainly use my Summicron 50 and sometimes my Elmarit 28mm. But I will keep this Summilux anyway.

Hope this helps, Moritz

I owned both the pre-asph and the current ver of asph. If you need the f/1.4, the pre-asph is soft and might not live up to your expectation. However, the coma 'defect' of the pre-asph seems like a boon to some, defect to many. You be the judge.<p>

<a href="http://www.leica-gallery.net/gregchoong/image-23584.html">35mm pre-asph @ f/1.4</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.photo.net/photodb/image-display?photo_id=819478&size=md">35mm asph shot @ f/1.4</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.gregchoongphotography.com">other misc shots</a>

Personally, if u need the f/1.4, go for the asph, else stick with your 'cron.

The Pre-Asph has an unique advantage. It is the most compact of all the Leica lenses. It is more compact, and ready to shoot , than the new collapsable Elmar 2.8. If discetion is needed, then this is the lens to use. If not,or if sharpness is a genuine consideration, then the newer version, or the Noctilux is a much better choice.

I bought a new pre-ASPH Summilux in 1974 and used it for 25 years. Within

the first month of having it, I dropped it 25 feet on to a basketball court wood

floor � minor dented hood � yes, it's a durable lens. I took it around the world

with me on various trips and it was always smooth to use and compact in my

bag or hand. Yes, wide open is has that �Leica Glow�, and I found that to be

really �sharp� I had to stop down to medium apertures. But, that extra stop was

a �life-saver� when I needed it. At f4 � f8 where I used the lens most of the time

its as basically good as the Summicron (most of my walk-arounds the lens

was preset to f8). I wish I still had it, but when the ASPH Summilux came out I

couldn�t resist the no compromise high quality image. I also have found after a

couple years of the new ASPH lens that I don�t carry it as much as that

compact 35mm Summilux. Part of it is my use of 1 lens and camera and that

being 50mm more often these days, and part of it is my liking of that compact

35mm and M-series outfit. So I bought a 4th version 35mm Summicron and

that gives me most of what I miss and a better wide-open lens (that is f2).

What the pre-ASPH Summilux did have was �personality� to the max. It was

THE Leica Glow lens for me (next to my Summar!). The photographs could

have a dream-like quality. Here is an image I made 10 years back that shows

what I mean. Notice the luminous on the monk�s back and the grass along the

river. It was early morning and taken at f4 I believe, Leica M4 35mm Summilux<div>0041sP-10190784.jpg.ed5bfb28487d5a79d0182b7cdafdf206.jpg</div>

Yes, all of the above apply to my belove pre-Asph. 'lux 35/1.4. Wide open: Soft. Flare: 4th of July on a bright day. Compact: Wonderfully. Full of Leica glow: Oh yes. Sometimes a little too much.

What bugged me to no end was the hood. Finally I used a little double sided tape to keep it from moving around. Suddenly the aperture ring was easier to use.

I kept this little guy (warts and all) after I got my 'cron 35/2 Asph. The 'cron does everything absolutely right. When I need a little romance in my photos I switch to the 'lux and go with the glow.

(By the way, the VC Ultron 28/1.9 also has a glow that is very Leica-like--or so think I.)

Now can I in all honesty recommend the old 'lux 35/1.4. I really cannot. It's a sweet and ugly child that you have to learn to love. And no one can blame you if you end up hating it. I recommend getting the new 35/1.4 ASPH if you can afford it. A truly brilliant lens.