Improvised Single Flash

<p>Hey guys,<br>

Not sure if this is the right category, but I appreciate any help on this one. The only flash that I have is a Nikon Speedlight SB-800 mounted to the top of my camera and I use a Canon XSi. I don't know if there is a difference in the electronics between the 2, but the auto function doesn't work on the flash.. I really don't know much about lighting.. So far I have been able to survive with natural lighting and by bouncing the flash off near by objects.<br>

Now.. I have a wedding coming up and the ceiling is too high to bounce the flash.. So here is what I am thinking:</p>

<ul>

<li>I have a remote transmitter/reciever for the flash, so I can mount it away from the camera</li>

<li>Thinking about mounting the flash to a tripod, and connecting a reflective umbrella</li>

</ul>

<p>If this works, all I have is one flash.. Any suggestions?</p>

<p>I think you need to simplify for the ceremony itself, such as the processinal, etc., given you <strong>can</strong> use flash during the ceremony. If you only have one flash, it should stay on the camera. Diffuse it by using something like a Demb Diffuser in the straight up or forward position. It won't be as nice as bounced light, but the priority is getting nice, clear shots of the subjects. It's too risky to use a single flash off camera on a moving subject, much less with an umbrella, which won't make much difference in softness of light, given the distances involved.</p>

<p>Same with the ceremony itself, given you can use flash and can move around. An off camera flash would be too distracting during the ceremony itself, particularly if you put it anywhere near the altar. Most churches won't allow it either. If you're talking about the formals or family portraits, it is a different story. Then, a single flash into an umbrella can work. However, a tripod isn't tall enough to give good lighting for group shots.</p>

<p>I've heard of people putting Nikon speedlights on Canon cameras, used in auto thyristor mode. This is different from auto mode, since Nikon uses i-TTL and Canon uses E-TTL. Otherwise, manual flash should work. Auto thyristor uses a sensor built into the flash itself. Read the manual to find out how it works. You may have to tape off all contacts on the flash except the middle one, though, and I don't know if specific models make a difference in whether this work.</p>

<p>Yes, but only if you use a higher ISO, like ISO 800 and up. A lone speedlight into an umbrella for group shots isn't going to give you a lot of power for the smaller f stops you'll need for DOF.</p>

<p>A key thing is to 'focus' the flash into the umbrella or you won't be utilizing the full interior of the umbrella. Here is a thread.</p>

<p><a href="00YMlu">http://www.photo.net/photography-lighting-equipment-techniques-forum/00YMlu</a></p>

<blockquote>

<p>The only flash that I have is a Nikon Speedlight SB-800 mounted to the top of my camera and I use a Canon XSi. I don't know if there is a difference in the electronics between the 2, but the auto function doesn't work on the flash...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Your camera and flash converse in different languages and there's no way to translate so there's no possible communication between camera and flash at all, except when to fire.</p>

<p>Henry Posner<br /><strong>B&H Photo-Video</strong></p>

Henry Posner

B&H Photo-Video

<p>So following on from Henry you need to establish what is known as the Guide Number for your flash and then work out your exposures using that and whatever ambient light is around.<br>

GN is derived from the aperture used to correctly light an average subject which is ten feet[ 3 metres] from the flash unit when using 100ISO.   GN/distance = aperture. You get the same answer working in imperial or metric but don't mix them.</p>

<p>Further you will be using the flash at full power unless you can reduce its power, which gives you a different GN. But really it is a very simple way to work.The otherway the formula works is aperture [ in test ] times flash to subject distance gives you the GN axd=GN [ f/5.6 x 10 feet equals 56 ]</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>Here is another thought. I do not know why you have a Nikon Speedlight, but have you ever thought of renting a Canon Speedlight, such as the 580EX-II and use that in the camera? If you are doing this wedding for hire, then you should try to use the correct equipment. If you are just doing it for gratis for a friend or relative, you owe it to them the courtesy of trying to do the best you can.</p>