Do you think a "squeeky" lens needs repair?

arthur_cargill

<p>I was wearing my camera with Nikon 17-35mm F2.8 AFS lens attached around my neck while travelling on a zodiac on the ocean when things rather quickly turned for the worse and a storm came. We ended up having to fight against the wind & waves heading back to our main boat while waves were crashing over us with my camera & lens around my neck. I had to hold on to the ropes the zodiac was tossing so bad, my camera & lens took a lot of serious waves but there wasn't much I could do but pray.</p>

<p>When I got back to the boat I rinsed off the lens and my F5 with fresh water and let it sit for several days. Put it back together and my F5 vertical shutter button no longer worked (the normal shutter button did) everything else was fine. However my 17-35mm F2.8 AFS has squeeked since when focusing, but no salt water appears to have entered the lens and besides the squeeking works fine and optics are excellent. Do you think it should be sent in for repair? Does anyone know how much a clean & lube typically would go for?</p>

<p>I know I'm going to sound totally ignorant, but I didn't think the Nikon F5 and 17-35mm were water resistant. I know the F5 had gaskets, but for a total rinse cycle? Not sure about that. The 17-35mm definitely not so sure. I would have just gotten a damp cloth and wiped them down since that's what I normally do.<br>

So to answer your question, I'd send it in for repair or at least call a repair person and ask the professional.</p>

<p>The F5 is sealed (but not at the mount) but the 17-35mm F2.8 is not. It wasn't a "rinse", more of a splash with fresh water, then wipe down.</p>

<p>On further investigation, (and my mispelling squeek, it's squeak) I came across the 17-35mm AFS F2.8 is susceptible to developing a squeak and may have just been coincidence it happened shortly after that incident. Several reported the motor blowing around 30 days after it developed, a few others report their lens always had a squeak, and most report never having it.</p>

<p>I'm now favoring sending it in to avoid the risk of needing the motor replaced if I continue to use it.</p>

<p>Arthur, Sorry to hear of you’re tuff time on the zodiac. Sounds like sending the lens in may be the safest bet, there could be water lodged in there some were. If it does die later and you did not send it in you will be twice as mad at yourself. Just a thought and at the risk of sounding totally ignorant. With all the upsetting circumstances going on is the any chance you have the vertical shutter button lever in the locked out position. Hope all goes well for you and good luck.</p>

<p>I've just traded in a couple of zooms for 1.4 primes (my check book went arghhhh!) Anyway, the first question I was asked about the 17>>35 was' does it squeak?' Apparently, for the store to re sell it, it required a new motor. Not due to getting wet (well not recently anyway) but lack of use as the grease/lubricant starts to solidify which I guess means if the focussing is getting a bit stiff puts stresses & strains on other bits.<br>

It had been dong this for ages with no noticable problems as far as I was concerned. Maybe I was being spun a line on the trade in value. Maybe try leaving it near somewhere warm (an airing cupboard) for a while to see if that helps.</p>

<p>Mine squeeks, especially when it's told to go from min to max focus (and vice versa), but it works just fine. And outdoors you can barely hear it. As long as yours continues to work I'd leave it alone.</p>

<p>I've been quoted anywhere from $275 to $450 to replace the AFS motor.</p>

<p>John</p>

<p>Hey Arthur :)<br>

I have a 17-35mm which also squeaked. I understand this model was especially susceptible to AF failure, and the squeaking was an indication of such. I sent it in and got a new AF motor put in, and upon receiving it back it still squeaked! At this I was very upset because it was focusing just fine, it just squeaked and I figured better to get it replaced that be on a job and it go out. So I got mad, sent it back and even though it took weeks when it came it squeaked no longer. As some people have pointed out though, their AF motor has worked for years squeaking. Just some thoughts</p>