Nikkor-S 55/1.2 hood

mark_pierlot

<p>I just got a Nikkor-SC 55/1.2, and I'd like to get a hood for it. I found a metal hood for the Nikkor 50/1.8 on the auction site that seller claims fits the 50/1.4 and 55/1.2 as well:</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"This is a genuine Nikon brand lens hood to fit 52mm. This vintage all metal snap-on Nikon Nikkor lens hood will fit all Nikon 50mm and 55mm 1.2, 1.4 and 1.8 lenses with 52mm filter thread."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The 55/1.2 has a 52mm filter diameter, so will this 50/1.4 hood work on it?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>"<em>I found a metal hood for the Nikkor 50/1.8...</em>"</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I presume that is the HS-11?</p>

<p>Regardless, there are multiple hoods that will work on the Nikkor-S 55/1.2, including the very common HS-11 (Ai/AiS 50/1.8) and HS-9 (for Ai/AiS 50/1.4) metal snap-on hoods. The ancient HS-3 was the original snap-on hood spec'd for the Nikkor-S 55/1.2, and I suspect it is probably the only one that will snap-on in the reversed position for storage.</p>

<p>Other lens hoods from the 50/55/58mm Nikkor lineup in addition to the HS-11, HS-9 and HS-3 that would fit are:</p>

<ul>

<li>HS-12, HS-6, HS-5, HS-7 metal snap-on (the HS-12 for the AiS 50mm f/1.2 is still available new from B&H)</li>

<li>HN-5, HN-6 metal screw-in (the HN-6 was another original spec'd hood for the Nikkor-S 55/1.2)</li>

</ul>

<p>Lots of choices. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>"Somewhat surprisingly, a new HS-12 is about the same price as the well-used HS-11."</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>Actually, if you search on eBay for the HS-12, you'll find several sellers (albeit overseas) listing new HS-12 hoods for less than the used HS-11 hoods currently offered. Same goes for the HS-9. The HS-11 is discontinued, but even so some of the prices asked seem a bit steep to me.</p>

<p>But as I noted above, lots of options. I am not a big fan of the rubber hoods, since as far as I am concerned they offer no more impact protection than a metal screw-in hood since they will just collapse completely. But to each his own, and variety is the spice of life.</p>

<p>The HS-12 *<strong>might</strong>* reverse mount on the Nikkor-S 55/1.2 for storage if the lens focusing ring is turned to the close focus position before attaching the hood. The HS-12 has a 75.6mm inner diameter, and the outer diameter of the 55/1.2 is 73.5mm, so it will be a very, very close fit but it might mount in the reversed position. If not, no big deal. I say "might" because although I own the HS-12 (for my 70.0mm outer dia. 50/1.2), I have never used a Nikkor-S 55/1.2.</p>

<p>Thanks for the clarifications, gentlemen. I can get a generic rubber hood here locally for a whopping $7, while an HS-12 from B&H will set me back over $40. While I'm not concerned about impact protection, I will check out the hoods on eBay. If I can find an HS-11 or 12 for a reasonable price, that's the way I'll go; otherwise, it'll be the generic.</p>

<p>Update: I just found a new-in-the-box HS-12 from a Korean seller for $27 including shipping, so I think I'll go for it.</p>