How to know if an M needs a CLA?

skip_williams

I've got a nice 1,000,000+ M3 SS that gets moderate use. It has a clear, snappy RF, accurate shutter speeds (judged from film) and smooth winding action. But who knows how long it has been since it had it's last checkup and re-lube.

So the question is: How do you know whether an M body needs a CLA if there's no obvious external problems? Will it hurt the body to keep on shooting it without one?

Thanks,

Skip

I once asked Don Goldberg (DAG) if using a Leica that worked smoothly but hadn't been relubed in decades would wear it out quickly and he said emphatically "no", that it's not like a watch that runs constantly, and the parts are quite substantial, and he's seen M3's that weren't CLA'd in 40 years that didn't show any undue internal wear. If it isn't stiff, gritty or malfunctioning, to quote Paul McCartney "Let it be".

Many years ago people would get their cameras "winterized" for extreme cold weather use. This mostly consisted of removing all traces of lubricant, because the oils would get stiff in the cold. I never understood why, if you could run your camera dry part of the year you had to re-lube it in the spring. Money for the repair techs, I suppose. And the possibility exists that you could unkowingly buy an old winterized camera and never know you were running it dry. Fortunately brass gears are slippery, compared to stainless steel.

Skip,

The above posts not with standing, each of my bodies go in about every 10 years for a CLA.

Even though there is/was no outward problem, they always come back smoother, with a brighter VF, and more accurate shutter speeds (mostly chrome shooter). Like anything mechanical, they benefit from it.

Figures out to about two bucks a month at current prices. Cheap insurance. If my livelyhood depended on it, I'd have it done more often.

Look at it this way. Percentage wise, it's a lot less than you spend on an auto to keep it clean and in tune.

Best,

Jerry

I second that. I'm a believer in preventive maintenance. A while back I picked

up a M2 that worked just fine, but I still sent it in for a CLA. The difference

upon it's return was like day and night. The viewfinder went from good to great

and the whole thing was smooth as silk.

feli

I was in a line at a local Leica demo and camera check to have my user M2

inspected by Gerry Smith of Kindermann Canada. The chap in front of me had

a mint M3 that he was obviously very proud of. The chap dry fired the camera

once and Gerry's face turned white. He would not even let the owner wind the

camera and insisted that it be sent in for repair that day.

My M2 had been CLAed about two years earlier. When it was my turn, Gerry

ran the camera through a few shutter speeds and handed back saying it was

fine. He never even mounted it on his shutter tester. I could not myself hear

any difference between the two cameras and I doubt any on this list could

either.

If you do not want to do a CLA then AT LEAST get a good Leica tech to listen

to it. Why skimp on a CLA when it will cost you much more when the camera

finally seizes.

When, I first started to use Leica, Walter Heun, Manager of Special Sales & Services told me for "normal" professional use (I was a newspaper photographer for a major metro daily at the time) an overhaul every five years is what he recomended. Unless he continued you do something dumb to the camera or send "a lot" of time in the desert.

Happy Snaps,

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Yeah, right! Try taking that approach with your car, especially if it has timing belts for overhead camshafts. A CLA is not a "fix", it's a service and a sensible precaution. It also helps you get the best performance from of your camera. The only caveat is, make sure it's done by a qualified Leica technician.

I have an M2 that I've owned since the 1960's. It hadn't been CLAed since

1970's. I sent it in this year since I was thinking of selling it to fund another M6.

It sounded fine, worked fine (apparently). It came back completely overhauled.

Comments were, "Camera Overhauled...very badly corroded. Installed new

rewind knob. Repaired frame counter...was sticking. Cleaned centerfield as

well as possible. Tightened up both eyelets. Installed sunshine dial on back

door. Patched housing shell. Installed both 1st and 2nd curtains. CLA." This

camera was doing okay and (apparently) limping along.