Suggestion please..

sobhan_adhikari

<p>What types of photography interest you? Candids? Landscape? Portraits? Street? Event? Sports? Indoor? Outdoor? Low-light? General family such as birthdays, holidays, kids playing?</p>

<p>What features prompted you to pick the Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 1100D as your prime candidates?</p>

<p>Are you a newbie to digital photography? Or, are you a newbie to a dSLR?</p>

<p>Have you had any kind of photography experience?</p>

<p>If you can answer all the above questions (and some more I'm sure I didn't think of), we'll be able to better help.</p>

<p>Are you limiting yourself to a one-time $600 purchase, or do you think you might have more to spend in the future?</p>

<p>Mark</p>

<p>Following up on Mark's point regarding budget, the big advantage of a DSLR is the ability to change lenses (there are others, of course). If you're not planning to add more lenses in the future as you find that you need them, then you might be better off investing in what is called a bridge camera...it's bigger than a point and shoot, but smaller than a DSLR. The Canon G12 is a good example of these. I'm sure Nikon has a similar offering, but I'm not familiar with the Nikon line of products.With the extra money in your budget, you can buy various accessories...extra memory cards, a good tripod, extra battery, etc.</p>

<p>Should you find that this camera lights the photography bug in you, it's still a good camera to carry when a DSLR is impractical, so having that and a DSLR in the future isn't a waste, should you decide that you really need a DSLR. If this camera suits all your needs, then you haven't spent your entire budget on your camera and you have a bunch of very useful accessories, too.</p>

<p>There is little advantage to having a DSLR if you don't have a collection of lenses when the bridge camera with its zoom gives you the range. But it has disadvantages which you should research if you are willing to consider a "DSLR Like" camera. Certainly for starters it will enable you to do much more than a basic DSLR and one lens. Until recently it was my prefered cameras type, and currently I am not sure I am going to change my mind. </p>

<p>Hello...<br>

i am interested in nature, landscape, street and general family holidays photography. Nikon d3100 and Canon eos1100d suited my budget so i chose them..and also 14.2mp dx sensor , built in HDMI port and 3 frames /sec i thought its good. i am new to dSLR photography. But also i dont have much experience in digital photography either. yes it will be a one time purchase atleast for the next five to six years, also i dont want to close the option for additional lenses. It is to rejuvenate my passion for photography.<br>

Thank you for all your response. I appreciate it.<br>

crescent.adhikari@gmail.com</p>

<p>I'd recommend at least to visit a store and try both cameras a bit. See if one fits your hand better, and your idea of where buttons on a camera should be.<br>

The one that feels nicest is the best camera for you.</p>

<p>Otherwise, these 2 cameras are capable of pretty much the exact same thing. Neither is vastly better than the other. For either one, just get the normal kitlens (18-55IS or 18-55VR) with it, which will get you started, both cover a lot of what you want to do, both are decent lenses and both are very affordable.</p>

<p>+1 what Wouter said. These cameras are not like chocolate and vanilla, more like chocolate and slightly-different chocolate.</p>

<p>Also consider buying a used older model. You could use it for a few months at relatively little cost before reselling and you'd have a much better frame of reference for comparing vs. new cameras.</p>

<p>(Also, no need to post e-mail addresses here. We can e-mail you from your user page if we like, and the best way to watch for responses to this topic is the 'Notify me of Responses' link on the page).</p>

<p>+2 to what Wouter said. Within a given price range the difference in quality between Nikon, Canon, Pentax, and Sony are minimal. It's best to handle the ones you are interested in and base your decision on ergonomics, features, and how you like the controls.</p>

<p>As for other lenses you are probably better off waiting until you have a better idea of what you need.</p>

<p>I say Cannon EOS- I love mine and have found it to be great quality- great selection of lenses- everything you could want. I wouldnt go "DSL like" Its just a waste of money because if you love taking pictures you will want to move on and that will just be wasted time and money. As far as cannon v nikon- its sorta an epic question with millions of opposing opinions- I truly think they are both excellent and you will be happy with either Im just more familliar with the cannon. I def think you should start with a good nifty 50. Nice and sharp easy to use and will teach you to frame by moving. Inexpensive and excellent sharpness. You can find kits that come with different lenses- so check outthe different options.</p>

<p>I use Nikon D3100. It is nice and works fine. (I have never used canon and I have no idea of that.). But the best way to choose is to go to a store and test by hand and see which one you feel best, because both are more or less same.<br>

As you told you are new to photography. And from your interest, I will suggest you that the kit lens that comes with the camera will suffice for the next few months (may be one year or so. Actually I also had this type of problem: which lens? which camera? wide angle? tele? etc. But as I grew experience I can now decide what gear to use. And I hope you also will grow tat experience).<br>

So get your camera and happy shooting.</p>