New 'bridge' camera

<p>In addition to my DSLR and my pocket digital, I also own a Canon SX1-IS high end point and shoot 'bridge' camera. I find this to be an easy 'grab shot' camera enabling me to get RAW images on the fly. At the time I bought this camera, it was the top of the line. I decided this weekend to upgrade it to the best I could find (no matter the manufacturer). In searching through the different websites, I'm dismayed to find the top cameras in this category for both Nikon and Canon, while having great features and super zoom range, no longer include RAW image capabilities! Hard to believe, since these are for sure the cameras that you would think advanced photographers would cherish. <br>

So, I'm asking two questions here of the group: 1. Do you know of a manufacturer that has a high end point and shoot that provides: RAW, zoom at least to 650mm, twisty monitor, optical viewfinder? 2. If I can't do that, is there anyone famaliar enough with the Canon line to know of a bridge camera that came after my SX1-IS that still has RAW? I figure I can find a used one on ebay. <br>

Thanks, Dave</p>

<p>Yea, I saw the Fuji one, which I believe might be the best quality camera among them all. But the monitor only move up and down, it doesn't actually rotate like my SX1-IS and my 60D do. I've really gotten used to the rotating monitor and don't want to give it up. Thanks, Dave</p>

<p>Presumeably you mean eye-level viewfinder rather than 'optical'.</p>

<p>Bill's list sounds about right, <a href="http://www.dpreview.com/products/search/cameras#criterias=SpecsCoreParams%2CSpecsLCDNew%2CSpecsUncompressedFormatNew&includeDiscontinued=No&sort=newestFirst&view=list&page=1&paramSpecsCoreParamsBodyType=SLRLike&paramSpecsCoreParamsMinZoomRange=10&paramSpecsLCDNew=Articulated%2CTilting&paramSpecsUncompressedFormatNew=RAW">these results</a> also include the slightly older Panasonic FZ100 (and its pricier cousin, Leica V-Lux 2).</p>

<p>What are you hoping to improve on vs. your Canon? I don't expect these models to be dramatically better...maybe a little improvement on high-ISO and video capabilities?</p>

DCresource.com reviewed the Canon SX30 and did not like it. Highlight clipping, purple fringing, noisy images above ISO 400, vignetting at telephoto, slow autofocus, no exposure compensation in auto modes, etc. Perhaps your brother has the newer SX40, which is basically the same but with CMOS instead of CCD sensor, so I expect image quality is worse.