Rollei SLX/6000-series WLF magnifier not rigid

ondebanks

<p>So, I picked up a Rollei SLX Mk 2 (the later all-black reliable type) + 80/2.8 HFT Planar for very little recently. Nowadays I'm mainly a Mamiya 645 AFD + digital back kind of a guy, but I've always liked the specs of Rolleis, especially their in-body metering which works with all finders. So I'm returning to some 6x6 film shooting, and if I like working with the SLX and it performs well (film flatness etc.), I'll probably upgrade from it to a 6008 Integral.</p>

<p>One thing bugs me already though, and that's the flip-up magnifier on the WLF. I wear eyeglasses and as soon as they touch the magnifier panel, it sags. There is not enough tautness in the mechanism which holds it up. Ideally the sides of the hood would pull in beneath the magnifier and support it - and curiously, if I pinch the sides at their hinges, they do actually move into machined spaces (recesses) under the magnifier and support it nicely. It looks like those recesses were designed for that very reason. But I can't go around pinching the sides of the WLF all the time! That would make handheld shooting impossible - I'd need 3 hands.</p>

<p>My questions are:</p>

<p>1) Is this always a problem, or is my WLF (an original SLX one) just underperforming because of age, wear and tear?</p>

<p>2) Is there supposed to be some sort of spring tension to pull the hood sides into those recesses under the magnifier?</p>

<p>3) Are the later 6006 and 6008 WLFs different (better) in how they support the magnifier?</p>

<p>Thanks,<br>

Ray</p>

<p>I can't make a comparison between SLX and more recent versions but the 6008AF WLF that I have used with glasses does not sag, but then I don't really press myself into it. I can say that the magnifier has a diopter value and you can swap them out for different strengths + or -. I think the stock one is -1.5 and it will be printed on the bottom. Maybe if you get the right value you won't have to push up to it?</p>

<p>I've used the magnifier on an older TLR, GX and 6003, and while I can push on it, left to its own devices they all stay in place. My guess is that the springs in yours might be a bit tired, and could probably be replaced or improved (Harry Fleenor?). Else, maybe you and the magnifier just are not working out together. Not been an issue for me tho, if that helps. </p>

<p>Ray,<br>

I think these use a light-force spring to hold the panel in place so, accordingly, light pressure against the panel makes it move.<br /><br /> All 6000 series finders interchange. You could try a finder with the correct diopter; prepare yourself for some searching though, diopters are not easy to find in other than standard value (-0.5 btw) ( I've improvised using a SL66 dioper and late model 6008 finder (round diopter). That way, I don't need my glasses. ) <br /><br /> A "budget' fix would use a rubber band and piece of foam to pinch the sides of the finder should you need to rest your glasses against the magnifier. You could even buy black rubber bands to make it look official ;-)</p>

<p>Joe</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I think I'll look into improving the springs, or failing that, the rubber band solution!</p>

<p>I see that the later WLFs have round dioptre lenses. Are these ones coated? The SLX one seems to be uncoated, like other WLFs of its generation.</p>

• 5 weeks later...