Starting a photography group: Suggestions?

<p>I'm starting to manage a small group of photography in my hospital. The group consists of eight individuals; six females and two males. Two out of eight have a degree higher than university (MD, my colleques ) while the rest are high school graduates. As far as I know, none of them have any idea about photography basics so I set a questionary up. The questionary has 10 statements asking the collaborators;<br>

What does photography mean to you ? (hoby, need, documenting memories, joy)<br>

How often do you shoot? (daily,weekly, monthly, in case)<br>

What sort of camera do you have? ( film, digital, phone cam, don't have one but consideing)<br>

What do you like or would you like shoot more? (Family and friends, nature and lanscapes, street and city life, travels and etc)<br>

What is f values?<br>

What is ISO?<br>

What is shutter speed?<br>

Which one isn't a must to make a photograph? (Lens, camera, film, flash, sun)<br>

What is focusing?<br>

A photograph is good one when ( I do it, cameras does, lens does, light does, money does) .<br>

So that I will understand the level of each group member and why they need to photography IMHO.<br>

After determining needs and teaching the basics , I think to arrange weekly meetings to share my experiences and encourage the members to shoot and share.<br>

Can you suggest me any ideas for reputation ? Thanks in advance...</p>

<p>Everyone will have their own idea as to how to set a group up. If you feel fine with your outline then continue on. I would only mention that if people want to get together to share and learn from each other then don't make it too formal unless your trying to teach photography. People can go online and learn the rudiments of basic photography, but probably everyone will have used a camera, they just want to make better pictures. Perhaps a monthly or bi-weekly themed contest. That should get things warmed up. Being that your potential group is made up of people in the hospital industry, I would probably ask if they have the the time to join in on a regular basis. Lack of dedication will end the group quickly. You might also ask what they are looking for in joining the group. It's about them.</p>

<p>Master(?),</p>

<p>I am a member of two photo clubs. One is more gear oriented. The other is more style, education, mentor, oriented. I personally prefer the education/mentor oriented club.</p>

<p>The gear group is cold. The mentor group is warm.</p>

<p>Decide what you want to accomplish, then go from there.</p>

<p>Good luck,<br>

Mark</p>

<p>I would emphasize the social aspect of it, make sure the members have fun, get to know one another, and do walk-arounds or field-trips together that end up with a meal or time in a pub/bar. It's great fun to pass around the cameras rotating them to each other, and look at each others' take on the LCD, specially after a beer or two. Also, try to get some wall space from the hospital in order to have exhibits. Let the group's dynamics and abilities inform you as to where to go next.</p>

<p>I certainly wouldn't administer a pop quiz! I can almost guarantee you that all of them know how to take a picture -- at SOME level. Start from there, and have fun.</p>

<p>BTW, what isn't a must to take a photograph? All of the above! Curious question.</p>

<p>If you must have a quiz, how about a question that asks what you want to learn the most or hope to achieve? Perhaps don't worry about a quiz just yet, in the first meeting just ask each person to talk about what they hope to achieve. If, as you state above, you suspect no one knows anything about the basics, it might make them feel a bit inadequate by asking such questions. Just a thought....</p>

<p>In a company-type environment like that, most folks simply want to show off their photographs on a big screen and tell stories about where they have been and what people they care about.</p>

<p>So, I'd reserve a conference room, procure a laptop and an LCD projector, and encourage folks to bring lunch. Over time trust will develop and you can introduce some ways to get more educated. This can be software demos, hands on gear help, or having a guest speaker from say the local newspaper.</p>

<p>Help ensure that the more technically savvy don't intimidate those who are not. I'd also talk with your Facilities manager to find a long wall that can be used to show artwork from the group.</p>

<p>ME</p>