Get 5D II or wait for 5D III?

andrew_case

<p>Hello,<br>

I am hoping I can get some insight or whether I should immediately buy the 5D II, wait for the 5D III, or buy something else and get the III whenever it comes. I am mostly new to photography, but have been spending considerable time with it and reading about it over the last several months.<br>

I currently have two L lenses, and will be buying the 70-200mm IS II soon, but have the issue of my camera is the entry level Rebel XS. The pictures come out fine, but I know I am missing some features of the more expensive lens and I feel kind of ridiculous with potentially a $2500 lens hooked up to a $500 camera.I also would like more than 10MP for the macro shooting I do.<br>

My issue is that while canon rumor sites say that the 5D III will come out in 2012, they never say it with much confidence and they don't know when in 2012 it will come out.<br>

So my current choice is to either buy the 5DII and assume the III wont be leaps and bounds better, or buy an in-between camera (50D?), and then get the III when it comes out.<br>

Any assistance would be appreciated!</p>

<p>@michael<br>

seems so...<br>

@william<br>

Well... the 21MP will definitely be an upgrade from 10, I would like if it could shoot more than 3 fps, but the 7d that can shoot more isn't full frame, where the 5d is and I would take full frame over faster fps.<br>

The rumor specs on the 5d III, which who knows if they are true, have said that the III will be both full frame and handle the 8fps that the 7d can, which would be the best of both worlds.<br>

I don't plan on using the video features, and the ISO abilities on the current bodies are more than adequate for what I do.<br>

I guess it boils down to wanting both full frame and a high fps rate, as well as I would potentially be buying a camera when the newest version could come out a month later.</p>

<p>The 5D MkIII is extremely unlikely to shoot 8 fps, incremental improvements would indicate a figure close to 5 as far more realistic. Feature set and model differentiation are very important, the 1Ds MkIII offers enough over the 5D MkII to convince some people to pay three times more for its additional features. There is no reason to think the 5D MkIII would come too close to the performance of future FF pro models, even if the technology is there to do it.</p>

<p>If you need and want the 5D MkII, get it now, if the lure of the MkIII is big enough when it comes out then sell the II and get the III. Even if a new version was announced tomorrow, general availability would take months. Get it, use it, enjoy it, when you out grow it get a better one.</p>

<p>Quickest answer - buy a Mark II now! If you don't need a camera right now - either wait for the Mark III and buy it for its spec, or wait for the Mark III and buy the Mark II to save money! Don't forget - with any product currently on the market, its successor is already being built and tested at the factory - there is never a perfect time to buy!</p>

<p>I would wait. The 5D MKII is a 2005 camera updated with more MP and video, but it's really showing its age.</p>

<p>One of the rules to financial success is, don't buy the same thing twice. What that means is, if you buy the 5DMKII now when the new one comes out you're going to convince yourself somehow, someway, that the one you bought wasn't the one you needed and will be buying the new one... in essence buying the same thing twice.</p>

<p>Also the 5DMKII value has held well and typically you can sell it for close to what you paid. But I think there's going to be an unprecidented result of Canon waiting this long for the replacement. So many at this point, already have the $ but waiting for the new one, and so many with the 5D and 5DMKII are waiting for the new that once it's released I think the market is going to be flooded with used 5DMKII (and original 5D's) the used value of them is going to drop unprecidently.</p>

<p>My $0.02, wait for the new. It might be a year, on its release I'm certain there's going to be massive shortages making it difficult if not impossible to attain for months after release just wait. I think you'll end up not having the 5DMKII for long when the new is released, then find yourself upset when you and a million others try selling your 5DMKII at the same time to get the new. I don't have a crystal ball, but you got my $0.02 you can ask for change :)</p>

<p>@ Andrew, Well . . . you didn't really answer my question "yes" or "no" - but I do get your drift:<br>

I trust you get mine - today is today: that's where you are living - buy the 5DMkII if it suits what you want - if 5fps are <strong><em>necessary,</em></strong> then buy a 1DsMkIII.</p>

<p>WW<br>

Gidday Scott</p>

<p>@ scott<br>

Your response about it not shooting that fast isn't the first time I have seen that brought up... I definitely don't want or need the 1D line, but I do want full frame.<br>

@ david / arthur<br>

I understand that in # of years that the II is old, but besides the fps it has the specs I want and I still am not even sure if the III will up the fps.</p>

<p>@ william<br>

I think actually typing all this out has brought some clarity... Its a difference of potentially a year and the III will likely be a bit more expensive than the II currently is, so I would be waiting a year and paying the difference for possibly 3 more megapixels and 3fps...There is also a bunch of things happening over the next year that I would like a top of the line camera for.<br>

Doesn't seem worth it to wait, I think I will be buying the mark II!</p>

<p>First off, there is no shame in having big-money glass on a small-money body. If you are still able to learn and improve your skill with your Rebel, just do that. You said that you are "missing some features of the lenses" on your Rebel body. What features would these be? Besides having the full field of view on the larger sensor, there is no "take awesome pictures" option that you are missing by having your L lenses on your Rebel body. I think the smart move would be to keep your Rebel, or, at the most, buy a $500 40D on Craigslist and get used to using the two-dial system that you will see on the 5D III, and resell the 40D for $400 when you get the 5D III.</p>

<p>I'd wait. There's nothing ridiculous with your camera. You are missing out on some wide-angle and shallow depth of field opportunities of full-frame...that's pretty much it. Neither has much impact on macro photography, but only you can judge the urgency of adding them to your bag. I'd be surprised if Canon didn't improve the AF of the 5D3 along the lines of the 7D, but undoubtedly there will be some surprises. Surely savoring the anticipation of those alone is worth the wait?</p>

<p>The 5D2's 21MP files tax my quad-processor and 12GB RAW, especially once I get several adjustment layers going in PS. I imagine whenever the 5D3 arrives it will sport a lot more MPs and so photogs should factor in computer and software upgrades if not running the latest and greatest.</p>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

<p>what I have heard from canon is that the 5dMIII will lanch retail at about 3200. Now that may not be true but if it is that is a big jump in price. I just upgraded from the 5d to MII and there is a big difference - amazing really - I also made my purchase in canada where they are retailing for 1999. new .... so if you want to go with 5dMii you can get a great deal from a canadian retailer - mine arrived in 4 days because because it was not flagged at customs.... I do not think you will be the least bit disappointed in the 5dMII</p>

<p>It comes down to how badly you need a FF camera right now. </p>

<p>The 5D2 is an excellent camera. Those who need a full frame camera with the particular feature set provided by this camera are well served by it. Skillful use of this camera can lead to photographs of exceptional technical quality and you can produce prints from 5D2 originals that are as large as those produced by any other full frame body. If you intend to produce video with the camera, it is good enough that it has been used to produce full professional productions including television shows and movies. </p>

<p>If <em>you need such a camera now</em>, get a 5D2.</p>

<p>No one who is talking knows anything concrete about something referred to as a 5D3, even whether there will be a camera by that name. If it is going to be released, we do not know when. Despite the speculation, we do not know what its features will be nor do we know the price. It could come next month, it could come next year, it might not come at all. It might be very similar to the current camera, perhaps with some small updates and improvements, or it could be quite different. (I'm betting that the real functional advantages of such a camera might be less that some imagine or hope.)</p>

<p>If you <em>do not need a full frame camera now</em>, feel free to continue using what you have while you wait.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

I would wait. I'd probably go out and buy a new 60 d and sell the rebel used. Then when the 5d mIII arrives buy it and

then you can decide if yo want to keep the 60d as a 1.6 crop with the FF.

This way you can have fun waiting and try out the video features :)

<p><em>> what I have heard from canon is that the 5dMIII will lanch retail at about 3200.</em></p>

<p>AFAIK Canon has never said anything about the very existence of 5DIII so please don't spread rumors: leave it to the teenage brainless dolts and their commercial web pages. (Well, maybe they are not brainless after all, if they can attract thousands of viewers publishing stuff they make up...)</p>

I would choose the 5D Mk xx over the 50D.

Between the Mk II and Mk III, I would wait and see what the real specs are (ignore the rumors).

If the enhancements are not that much, then I would recommend holding off for a bit until you see the drop in price on the MK II, and then buy on of them.

However if the MKIII has a 30MP sensor, continuous autofocus on video, then I would say it would be way worth it.

Myself, I have a MKII and will just wait and see what the MK III has, then decide to get it or wait until the MK IV comes out.

<p>I have and love my 5DII - it is a very good camera but if you plan on shooting sports or birds than you may want to wait for the 5DIII. The main (much documented) weakness of the 5DII is the AF system. This is not as bad as many people say - it just needs setting up with care. I find that my 5DII is about as good as my 1NRS for AF (and this was the top Canon sports shooter until the 1V was launched). For sports and wildlife I find I use my 1DIIN and 7D over my 5DII as they have a faster frame rate and better AF - for all other subjects the 5DII is the way to go. I will probably upgrade my 5DII to the MkIII but will let prices settle a bit before I do.</p>

<p>In the old days, when buying stereo components, you did better investing in higher quality speakers than the rest of your system. They were the critical point. Likewise, with lenses, this is where you will put most of your money. On the other hand, every body upgrade you ever do will likely add some more control, and a better sensor/resolution. So if you are NOT walking around every day screaming "More Pixels!", hang in there, and save your money for the long term investment, the glass. Otherwise, if you simply must have a feature like live view, or more resolution, buy a new body. Or maybe a used 5D mark II.</p>

<p>A guy walks into a bar... Stop me if you've heard this one before...</p>

<p>The AF on my 5DII works fine - fast and accurate up to infinity. Beyond that, I focus manually with Live View for the best results. It amazes me how many 5DII owners out there can't seem to figure out how to get their AF to work. Maybe Canon should offer classes for the AF challenged. Or maybe they should invent a camera that wipes your nose for you. That would be popular with the whiner crowd.</p>

<p>The answer is simple. Do you need a 5DII now? If no (you don't need one), then wait for your dream camera. Just don't complain if the next camera from Canon doesn't match all of your dream specifications (or your dream price).</p>

<p>If yes (you need one), then buy a 5DII now, use it, and sell it later. You'll lose some of the value of the new 5DII, but the difference is your RENT for using the camera for your current work. How much would it cost to rent a 5DII from a dealer for the next 6, 12, 18 months? A LOT more than you'll pay for your 5DII.</p>

<p>These two chickens were walking down the street, and ...</p>