Large Group Shot, any Tips

nanc1

<p>I need some tips in making sure to keep ALL the people in focus. My family and I.... 19 of us in total 9 adults 10 kids.<br>

Outdoor photo<br>

I have the<br>

Canon 60D and the Tamaron 18-50mm lens<br>

Canon 55-250mm lens<br>

Canon 50mm 1.8 lens<br>

what would be the best to use on such a large group.<br>

Also have the Canon 430EX11 speedlight and the Rogue Flash Bender<br>

and a just OK tripod<br>

If someone could Please share with me, that would be Awesome.<br>

Thanks</p>

<p>Normally I would advise the 18-50mm at the 18mm focal length. However you are outdoors so you may have enough room to backup to the point where the 50mm could cover the entire group. That is the best lens in your inventory. The key is to have some empty space on either side of the group as all lenses tend to have some distortion at the edges. That way the distortion will not be noticeable as it will not be of anything important.</p>

<p>The rule of thumb is the best quality is 3 f-stops below wide open so f5.6 or f8 would be the recommended f-stop.</p>

<p>As you have a combination of kids and adults, you might place the kids in front so the group is not so wide which would make the 50mm even more suitable.</p>

<p>Danny</p>

<p>Might be an idea to see that the people at the ends of the row(s) are at the same distance from the camera as those in the middle. In other words, make them sit or stand in a curved and not a straight line. If there is space enough for you to move back, the 50/1.8 can be used. My guess is that the Tamron will be better, though at a focal length a little longer than those that Leslie and Danny suggest. Scott's advice is good, though the lens should not look down at too steep an angle -- though you could take a couple of frames like that just to see the effect.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I need some tips in making sure to keep ALL the people in focus. My family and I.... 19 of us in total 9 adults 10 kids.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>If you are shooting Landscape Format and Full Length for standing people with a bit of air (about 12 inches above and below them) then you will have adequate DoF at F/4 or smaller.<br>

For safety, you might like to use F/5.6 or smaller.<br>

The DoF at F/4 will be about 12ft.<br>

The DoF at F/5.6 will be about 25ft.</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>what would be the best to use on such a large group.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>(I am not aware of a Tamron 18 to 50 lens. I assume a typo and further assume the lens is the Tamron 17 to 50F/2.8 and base my answer on those assumptions.)</p>

<p>The Tamron zoom lens is the best lens to use for this job.</p>

<p>Specifically -<br>

<strong>If using On Camera Flash as Fill:</strong> <br>

Pose the Subjects’ back to sun or in even Open Shade.<br>

Do NOT use the Flash modifier – use direct Flash.<br>

If you do not know how to evaluate the Flash Fill Exposure Compensation and you do not have time to learn, then use camera “Program Mode” (“P”) and “Program Shift” to get the Av equal to about F/5.6~F/8 – you should be at about ISO400 to achieve this. <br>

Use the Tamron zoom.<br>

Shoot Landscape Orientation<br>

At about FL = 20mm to 24mm<br>

Shooting Distance about 12ft, <em><strong>no more than 14ft</strong></em><br>

Arrange Subjects in <strong>no more than three rows</strong> – keep the rows tight together and be a little above them: i.e. the Camera Elevation about 2 ft above their eyes.<br>

Ensure you can see (through the viewfinder) ALL faces and ALL upper chest areas.<br>

Have a little space at the edges of the frame.<br>

Focus on the centre row if three or the front row if two rows.<br>

F/4 or any aperture to F/11 will suffice for DoF: select the aperture to suit Ambient Light and ISO which is suitable to you.<br>

If unsure of Flash Fill practice before-hand (a few days before) just using one person where the "middle" of the group would be located.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p><strong>If NOT using Flash:</strong><br>

EVEN Open Shade is best<br>

Same shooting distance and etc., as above.</p>

<p>***</p>

<p>There are many reasons for the above specific recommendations: but just to outline one of those reasons, a 50mm lens or FL=50mm is not the best choice.<br>

The shooting distance is too far for that group using 50mm, if it is to be a Full Length Shot and <strong>amongst other concerns</strong>: distance limits easy communication and control of the Children; and distance is the governing factor for the ability to use Flash as Fill, outdoors.</p>

<p>WW</p>

<p> </p>

<p>WOW Some great advice once again! I thank you all I will practice on my own family before the big day.Which will be Sunday if it doesn't rain:(<br>

And yes a typo:( not 18 but a 17:) 17-50 I keep getting it mixed up with my kit lens.</p>

<p>Thanks Again for all your tips:)</p>