Suggestion for Canon EOS film body

sunilmendiratta

<p>HI All,<br>

I am sure here some of the folks are still using film cameras in addition to their digital ones. I am looking for advice on auto focus camera which i can use for B&W photography and portraiture. Please also suggest if image rendering may be different than AE1 Program or older camera bodies.(i know it is film dependent but still..)<br>

I have Nikon Dx slr and i am switching to Canon 5D Mark 3(when it will launch), i am thinking to get EOS body so that i can use the same set of lenses.</p>

<p>Many Thanks,<br>

Sunil</p>

<p>The EOS-1v is THE top-of-the-line Canon AF film camera so maybe consider that. Image rendering depends on the lens and film, the body is just a light-tight box. The AE-1 is manual focus using Canon's FD mount (different that EOS). Try browsing Canon's on-line museum (<a href="http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/chrono_1933-1955.html">http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/chrono_1933-1955.html</a>) to give you an idea of what's available and to find what model has the features that are important to you.</p>

<p>Given the same exposure, focus, lens, and film, any film body will produce the same image as any other. What varies between them is how well they are able achieve exposure and focus.</p>

<p>For example, some of the better EOS film bodies, such as the 1V and 3, have more exposure-related features than do FD bodies, such as more (and more sophisticated) metering modes, higher maximum shutter speeds, more aperture increments between the standard f-stops, and more readily selectable exposure modes. Any of these features can influence exposure, particularly under more demanding lighting conditions.</p>

<p>As for an EOS film body recommendation, there's no question it would be either a 3 or a 1V. Good copies of the former can be had for around $150 these days, while the latter will set you back around $500.</p>

<p>best bodies are the 1V and the 3. If you get a 1V I suggest that you get the basic body not one with a winder (e.g. the 1V HS). I have two 1Vs (the HS and a standard body). I find the standard body gets used more as the HS is big and heavy (plus I never shoot 10 fps - 3.5 is fast enough). The 3 is almost a 1V but it has eye control focus. I like this but some do not. The other good body is the 1N, while the AF is only 5 point it is still fine for most purposes. If you want something really unusual the 1NRS is fun (with the pellicle mirror)</p>

<p>I would go fot the iV, I just sold mine on EBay for $650, canon still lists it at over $2k.</p>

<p>I believe that the quartz date was where the camera would imprint the datetime stamp on the image, consumers loved that back in the day; an erly for of EXIF data.</p>

<p>See also an earlier thread on the same topic: http://www.photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZN9M<br /> <strong>Body</strong><br /> I'd still recommend the Canon EOS 3 as one of the best, if also one of the more expensive (by film standards) of the older EOS cameras. Many of the earlier models can be purchased in good working condition on eBay for under US$ 40. They still work fine so long as you don't need the faster AF of the later versions.</p>

<p>The EOS 1v is still apparently for sale new (old stock for sure) and is even more expensive. An in-between model is the slightly older EOS 1n. Many prefer the 3 to any of the 1 series film cameras.</p>

<p><strong>QD</strong><br /> QD = "quartz-date" as Gregory said. There were QD backs/versions for some EOS film camera bodies.</p>

<p><strong>EF 50mm f/1.8</strong><br /> There are only two versions to date of the EF 50mm f/1.8 lens. The original has a metal mount, and the Mark II version has a plastic mount. I do not think there is any other difference between the two variants. The plastic mount one is much cheaper, and seems in fact to be just as durable, even more durable than some other EF 50mm lenses seem to be.</p>

<p>I wouldn't spend a ton of money on a film body without making sure you "really" want to use film. I have an Elan 7 that is a great camera for less than $100. I love film especially silky transparency film like Velvia F. I have always wanted a Nikon F100 so I picked one up off of ebay and took it on a cruise with a bunch of film. (I have a bunch of Nikkors laying around even though I shoot Canon.) After going through security too many times worrying about the cumulative x-rays and rationing film frames, I ended up using my point-and-shoot digital more than the F100. The film sat in the fridge for six months until I could get it to the E6 lab. I still haven't fired up the Ektagraphic projector to even really take a good look at the few rolls I did shoot.</p>

<p>Some of my favorite images are film images, but more and more I realize that going back is probably not an option for me at this time. Maybe someday. B&W might do it, but then I think about stocking a darkroom to really do it right and cringe.</p>