Confused about tripods

andrew_case

<p>I am starting to really get into photography and have saved money to get real lenses and a better DSLR now, but am completely confused about tripods.<br>

Basically I need a tripod (plus whatever attachments) that will allow me to:</p>

<p>1) mount the canon EF 70-200mm IS II lens using the collar<br>

2) mount the camera to use the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L lens<br>

3) Either mount the camera or the lens rings for the Canon EF 100mm IS macro len</p>

<p>I am confused because I can't figure out if I need certain adapters for each lens or if there is a standard connector for all canon lens & DSLR cameras.<br>

The attachments for the tripod need to allow swiveling of the camera and I also would like to be able to add other attachments to it (like external flashes) if people think that is a good setup.<br>

Sorry for asking such a basic question, but I got really confused when reading reviews about all the different components.</p>

<p>Virtually all cameras and lenses that have a tripod socket are standardized on a 1/4-20 thread, or one-quarter-inch diameter with 20 threads to the inch, and have been for decades. Tripods have the matching screw. Just about anything with a tripod socket will mount on just about any tripod with no need for an adaptor. (You will occasionally find some equipment with a 3/8-inch socket, but an adaptor is available for that.) <br />Most better quality tripods actually consist of two parts -- the legs and the head. The legs usually attach to a round plate with either a 1/4-20 screw or sometimes a 3/8 screw. The tripod head mounts on top of this, and is the part that lets you tilt the camera or lens to various angles. You can choose from a ball head, which rotates in all angles at once, or a pan and tilt head, which has one control that adjusts the backward and forward tilt and another to adjust left to right tilt. Both are suitable for still photography (there are others that are special for video). You can buy the legs and head together or seperately. Low cost tripods usually come with a head attached that can't be removed.<br>

There are also quick release plates that let you snap a camera or lens on and off of the tripod without unscrewing the screw, but they still attach with the standard 1/4-20 connection.</p>

<p>The 'standard' quality set up is generally Arca-Swiss dovetail compatible.<br>

If you want a good investment thats light - try the Acratech Ultimate ballhead with the Arca-Swiss dovetail clamp. More expensive options are the Arca Swiss heads, or Kirk Enterprises, and many others.<br>

To mount lens or body to tripod buy 3 of either the Really Right Stuff or Kirk Enterprises Arca-Swiss compatible lens plates specifically designed to suit:<br>

Your camera body<br>

Your 70-200<br>

Your 100 macro</p>

<p>...and these can stay permanently mounted on each lens/body.</p>

<p>Choose a set of legs to suit your budget - metal = heavy(ish) but relatively inexpensive or carbon fibre (light)ish but expensive.</p>

<p>Thats you set! Easy!</p>

<p>Whatever you buy, get the best tripod you can afford. If you are carrying it into the field, try to get carbon fiber; if using it in the studio, aluminum will do. I have both, and carrying a three pound tripod all day is much easier than carrying a six pound one (my field gear is pretty heavy, a Nikon D200 with either a 17-55 or 80-200 lens, sometimes both) and ten - fifteen pounds of gear can get heavy after trooping around in the woods or the mountains for a few hours. Good advice above as to the heads.</p>

<p>On the one hand, tripods do make for a less flexible setup because you have to fix the camera in one place and you lose some flexibility, but the other side of the story is you can shoot at any aperture you want - with the slower shutter speeds - and have very sharp photos. Make sure you have either a self timer or some kind of remote release as well. You really will be amazed at the difference a good tripod makes.</p>

<p>I have five or six right now and I use them all!</p>

<p>Good advice, but I'll bet that you're still confused. Most tripods are not complete, they need either a ball-head or a gear-head or a gimbal to function, such that you can move the camera. If your 70-200mm is an f/4, then you don't even need a collar.</p>

<p>Additionally, to attach your camera quickly to the tripod you'll want a quick-release mechanism on the head and dovetail on the bottom of the camera. Arca-Swiss, previously mentioned, is one of the gold standards. Unfortunately there's an over abundance of quick release mechanisms that will not interface with each other.</p>

<p>Go to a shop like Mike's or Wolfs to see complete setups. Trying to mail order without knowing what you're doing is doomed.</p>

<p>thanks for all the helpful replies, knowing some of the terms better now, I have been reading more and looking at product reviews. It seems like this tripod:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190CXPRO4-4-Section-Carbon-without/dp/B0015MHY6K<br>

if often recommend, but I am confused about looking at the tripod heads. I see arca-swiss being recommended everywhere for the quick release plates, so I believe I will choose that for my camera and the 70-200mm lens.<br>

I am confused though if I need to buy an arca-swiss tripod head though or if I can buy another brand that will be compatabile with the plates.<br>

Also, I assume that an arca-swiss head will be compatible with any tripod? Is there some standard so that tripod and tripod heads from different companies will work together?<br>

I was looking at the arca-swiss tripod heads here:<br>

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Head+Type_Ball+Heads&Ntt=arca-swiss&ci=140&N=4289936031+4291613486+4289945438<br>

and got kind of overwhelmed. Know that the 70-200mm lens will be the heaviest that I use for the foreseeable future, could someone recommend a arca-swiss ball-head?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Did you notice that the heads that you linked us to cost much more than the tripod that you linked us to? Those heads are usually combined with "high end" tripods like Gitzo (made in the same factory as Manfrotto) or Induro. You can put those heads on a Manfrotto tripod. IF the Manfrotto is going to be your first and last tripod, then you can buy an all-Manfrotto system. They've got a ballhead with a pistol-grip release that's pretty popular. For the lenses that you specify now, that system would probably be fine. However, if you might go to a super-tele, like a 400mm or 500mm, then you'll want an upgradeable system.</p>

<p>The problem is that Manfrotto has about three quick-release systems, none of which are compatable with Arca-Swiss type. They're not even compatable with each other and Manfrotto doesn't make adapters. All is not lost however, if you later want to move to a Gitzo or other high-end system, then you can just sell your Manfrotto as a complete system and replace everything. Expect to lose about 50% of your investment. If you want a head/quick release system that'll always work, then you want an Arca-Swiss style. (It can be another brand, like Really Right Stuff, but you want that style).</p>

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>There are a multitude of ways of doing this, but it really is a case of you get what you pay for.</p>

<p>Tripod, take a good look at the Manfrotto 055 XPROB, very versatile and suits macro use, the 190 is too small for big lenses like the 70-200 f2.8.</p>

<p>Then you need a head, most photographers use ball heads, I have an Acratech GP, a very versatile head. Don't cut corners with the head.</p>

<p>Then you have a clamp, this attaches to the head and clamps onto lens and body mounts. Many heads, the Acratech included, come with a clamp.</p>

<p>Then you have lens and body plates. You need one small plate for the 70-200, but you don't need one for the 24-70 or the 100 macro. You also need a plate for any camera body you have, these come in two main types, base plates which just screw onto the base of your camera and provide a grip for the clamp, and L-plates, they have two mounting points so you can change orientation of the camera without moving the tripod head, very useful for macro work too.</p>

<p>I have several Manfrotto tripod leg sets.<br>

I have several ballheads but the Acratech GP is far and away the best.<br>

I have Really Right Stuff lens plates and camera body plates both regular and L types.</p>

<p>Search the Manfrotto, Really Right Stuff and Acratech sites, they all have some great info.</p>

<p>To be satisfactory a the ball of a ballhead needs to be big, at least as big as a golf ball as minimum size. A pan and tilt head, hopefully one whose top flips up so you can change from 'landscape' to 'portrait' framing of the DSLR [ horizontal to vertical ], is better than a ballhead unless the ballhead is big and strong. Unless you want a 'toy' don't buy cheap and small.<br>

For extra stability it is worth considering the balance point of the lens and camera and organising a mounting plate to have the balance point over the ball or head. You talk of attaching the lens to the head. if the lens is heavy this is better than attaching the camera to the head and 'hanging' the heavy lens on the front. It depends on the relative weights of camera and lens.<br>

Assuming the subject matter permits it I always use a delay release [ or preferably cable release if the camera permits this, my Canon does] when using a tripod, pressing the trigger and then leaving the camera untouched for the count down to reduce the likelihood of camera shake from my touching/holding it. </p>

<p>I think we may be going a little fast here for somebody who has no experience with tripods. Yes, Arca-Swiss is top of the line. But it's top of the line. An Arca Swiss head can cost as much as Andrew's "better DSLR." Andrew -- go to <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com">www.bhphotovideo.com</a> and check out the Manfrotto/Bogen tripods and heads. Manfrotto/Bogen has their own web site as well. I would recommend a legs/head combination in the $200 range to start with. With an Arca-Swiss head, a couple of extra mounting plates and legs, you could be looking at $1,000. If you've got that kind of money, go for it. But I suspect you're looking for something a lot simpler. I'm thinking you're looking for a Chevy and our good friends here are trying to sell you a Mazarati. :)</p>

<p>@Craig<br>

I definitely would like to just get the better gear now rather than have to buy again later, I just am confused now if you haven't noticed :) I usually learn better just jumping in anyway and trying things...<br>

... with that said it seems like the arca-swiss may be the way to go, but now I am confused about which tripod to use and also which arca-swiss head would be best for my setup of having a 70-200mm and in the future at most having a 400mm or 500mm prime lens.<br>

I was looking at the induro tripods, like this one:<br>

http://www.amazon.com/Induro-Carbon-Tripod-CT-314-Black/dp/B002SXMRR6<br>

that said it was for long telephoto lens plus slr cameras, would this be something that would last with me a long time, even as I progressed as a photograhper? is it possibly overkill?<br>

From everyones post's I think I know all the components I need, just need to figure out particular ones.<br>

The help has really been amazing, been spending all day reading about related stuff.</p>

<p>The trouble with $200 tripod and head sets is<a href="http://bythom.com/support.htm"> they are way too expensive.</a><br>

<br>

The 70-200 Andrew is using is a $2,500 lens, the better body is probably an $1,800 7D or more, that is a $4,000 investment in just one camera and lens, $800 on the best support is not unreasonable and, as shown, actually works out cheaper.</p>

<p>There's nothing more personal (although somethings <em>as</em> personal) as the choice of a tripod.</p>

<p>Even the $30 ones have some utility. At the high end, you pay a lot more for weight reduction than for stability. If you don't need hike-ability, you can find some nice, solid aluminum ones for around $150.</p>

<p>The point about putting a $3000 lens on a $30 tripod is, however, a good one.<br /> Same principle applies to software for processing too, but that's another argument.... ;)</p>

<p>I am definitely seeing the argument for getting the better gear in the beginning, especially with the equipment I am gathering.<br>

If someone could help recommend an arca ball head or two, I would greatly appreciate it, I have the rested figured out I think. I have learned quite a bit in the last few hours of reading.</p>

<p>Now we're making headway. If a 400 or 500mm lens is in your future, then go with the Induro CT 414 and the Arca-Swiss Z1, or some equivalent to that range. You need a really strong ballhead to handle the 500mm and something like a Wimberley Sidekick hung on the side of the ball head. The 414 is NOT overkill for your current 70-200mm and use for wide-angle scenics and archetecture. I have this rig and it's very, very good.</p>

<p>Thanks David... I think everything is making sense now...<br>

I think my current choices are (assuming no one tells me I missed something badly):<br>

tripod: induro ct 414<br>

head: Acratech GP Ballhead (Pointed out by Scott)<br>

Then I will get the len plates for the 70-200mm as well as the release for my camera.<br>

I still am a little confused about the quick release for the camera though. I see this one is compatiable with all canon cameras:<br>

http://acratech.net/product.php?productid=27&cat=128&page=1<br>

So is this all I need to attach the camera? And that quick release will let me take the camera on/off properly?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>Yes the head will 100% work on that tripod.</p>

<p>I highly recommend <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=BodyCanon&key=cat">Really Right Stuff camera plates</a> though. Camera plates should be made to fit one body, anything that fits several is a compromise.</p>

<p>But yes, you screw that plate to the camera base, then it fits into the clamp on the ball head. But you have a choice of two styles, the one you linked to and an L-Plate, the RRS site has a <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=42">video demonstrating the use of the L-Plate type</a>.</p>

<p>Andrew,</p>

<p>Yes L-Plates can be very useful, but they do add bulk. I have a RRS L-Plate and a normal plate for my main body, I put the L-Plate on if I am going to do something appropriate, interiors, architecture, macro, landscapes etc, but leave the smaller normal plate on the rest of the time. Of course when you are using the 70-200, or bigger teles, the tripod collar rotates to do the same thing.</p>

<p>I took a long hard look at all the options a few years ago. I wanted maximum flexibility and light weight, the ability to handle pro bodies and lenses up to 300 f2.8. I want to do parallax free stitched panos, a very basic macro rail, I wanted to be able to use either a camera plate or a lens plate (the orientation is 90º off). I liked the gimbal idea, etc.</p>

<p>The package I got for above the leg set (with the best will in the world you'll end up with several legsets).</p>

<ol>

<li>The Acratech GP, it is so flexible I can't understand why it hasn't been copied to death, the feature set is unmatched. </li>

<li>I got an <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=MPR-192&type=0&eq=&desc=">RRS MPR-192 rail</a>, I can mount this as a nodal rail, a macro rail or as a lens plate on my 300 f2.8. </li>

<li>An <a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=Mini-Clamp-Pkg&type=4&eq=&desc=">RRS mini clamp s</a><a href="http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=Mini-Clamp-Pkg&type=4&eq=&desc=">et</a>. This allows both bodies and lens mounts to be fixed to the 192.</li>

<li>An RRS L-Plate for my main body.</li>

<li>An RRS regular body plate for all my bodies.</li>

<li>An RRS lens plate for my 70-200.</li>

</ol>

<p>This setup is not cheap, but it is the best and most flexible combination of gear I could work out. Certainly the functionality and flexibility is in a league all its own.</p>

<p>Here is a photo I took for another thread, it is set up for parallax free stitched panos for a body, swivel the mini clamps and you can stitch the 70-200 too.</p><div>00ZO3A-401661584.jpg.ae6848fe4042e60a0d24d46827692594.jpg</div>