A Pinhole Turkey?

john_kasaian1

Eugene, I was thinking maybe a sheet of 4x5 in the carcass through the bottom and a pinhole fitted in the neck opening. I suppose it would depend on the size of the turkey! Ed, this is good egg nog! One question would be what to photograph?...my wife has cousins who are twins. The logistics involved in getting both of them, and the turkey to the tunnel view in Yosemite on Thanksgiving Day while keeping the Turkey frozen rock hard for...I was thinking a homage to Ansel Arbus?...seems a bit much. I don't know how light proof a turkey carcass is, so perhaps I'd need to "dress" it in a dark cloth. There is also the problem of the tripod socket to address...oh well...time for another egg nog!---Cheers!

A great topic to get the juices flowing... or is that turkey fat?... don't

forget to skim.

I see a lazy susan incorporated into this... a portrait of the family

chowing down... a curkit turkey.

If I may direct the idea into the depths... hold the stuffin' Ma.

I'm already thinking about a turducken.... furrrrrther>>>

John, after having my second cup of coffee, and thinking about it a while (while sitting on my favorite seat in the house). I came to the conclusion that it would be best to put the film where the sun don't shine. It would need to be a very large turkey, or I would be forced to use a smaller format. Maybe a 6X7 rollfilm holder would work? I'll go back to my seat and give it some more thought.

OK, I think I've got this thing figured out...take one rock hard frozen turkey wrapped in plastic---no gizzards or neck hiding inside, paint it with blackboard paint to make sure its dark inside, with a Milwaukee Sawzall, cut a slot big enough to insert a Polaroid 545i back loaded with type 55 P/N, duck tape that sucker in, put a pinhole with a sewing machine needle opposite the film plane. The cardboard holder acts like the shutter. What do you think? Will it fly or will it be a fowl mess? Got to log on to the Butterball hot line to ask what turkeys come sans neck and gizzards, ask Milwaukee what blade they recommend for frozen turkey carcass. Any thoughts or recommendations for exposure times? Thanks!

By gosh, I think you've got it , John! Exposure time is going to be extremely long with the Type 55 film. Mount that turkey on a solid tripod, and aim it at a rock-steady subject. Oh yes, and make certain nobody is watching while you are using this camera, or else we're liable to be receiving your next posting from the state mental facility.

This must be some weird US custom! I log onto my favourite forum to find that there is yet another format with which to make pictures. Just when you think you've got it sussed, somebody comes up with the next big thing!

We don't get turkeys here that are much bigger than a big chicken, so would an emu do the trick? If I leave the legs on and add a garden stake, I can get by without a tripod, but does anybody know how to measure the rigidity of a frozen emu/turkey? And how can I use my dark cloth without being arrested? Can I fit a digital back to it?

So many questions - so few birds.....

Graeme

John:

Don't discout the use of Butterball brand turkeys -- they come complete with a pop-up roasting indicator which could readily be converted into a built-in cable release. If you run into difficulties, I'm sure Steve Grimes has performed this modification countless times!

Matt

After you have mounted the turkey onto the tripod, make sure the tripods legs are extended far enough that the bird is at least 12 inches above your waist. Otherwise, if you are seen standing behind the turkey, it won't be the state mental facility you will be residing in.

Turkey Update! The Bird in question has been sitting the my freezer for well over 10 months---it's longevity owed to the fact that I have commandeered the shelf it is on to store my 8x10 film, and the bird escaped the notice of my Bride. We don't know how long frozen turkeys can stay frozen and still be edible, but I imagine they won't keep as long as that government cheese that was distributed a few decades back. I surveyed the bird and I'm afraid a slot big enough for the 545i will compromise the structural integrity of the bird, so it will(if this comes to actually happen) get a standard 4x5 holder and 400 Arista film since 1) a smaller slot is better suited to the bird 2) the 545i would be a pain to clean if it should get "slimed" 3) A faster film=short exposure times=less thawing and 4) Arista 400 is the only 4x5 film I have on hand. The big problem now is what to shoot. An indoor family portrait around the Thanksgiving feast sounds appropriate buy synching a flash is out of the question---hot lights are what I'd need but they would contribute to the thaw. Besides, the In-laws might not understand!

• 8 months later...