Canon Bringing Back Lens Aperture Ring?

yakim_peled1

<p>Could I get them to give us usable DOF scales at the same time?</p>

<p>I for one love a marked aperture ring. I know, I can just look at the display and turn the wheel. But having a Fuji X100, with a marked aperture ring and engraved shutter speed knob shows me how much better I like having the marking right at the point of adjustment, and not looking at a screen that has other information on it too. </p>

<p>Damn them if they do, damn them if they don't. I very much prefer an aperture ring on the lens, and given the electronic nature of the beast, it doesn't have to be a mechanical control, does it? The trouble is this: if they do introduce lenses with rings, I'll feel compelled to "upgrade" to them.</p>

<p>Hmmm....</p>

<p>Maybe that's what they have in mind?</p>

<p>I can't see Canon adopting a true ring similar to Nikon's older lenses. It flies in the face of making their top lenses weatherproof. An outer ring would provide another entry point for dust/water. Somewhat like the philosophy of their 1 series bodies with no flash or mode selector dial. It would be too difficult to weatherproof the openings. </p>

<p>I'm a Nikon guy but at first I hated having no aperture ring. As I started to using longer telephotos I realized it was easier to set the aperture from the camera. When you have your left hand 2 feet away from the body to fine tune the focus it is annoying to have to move it back right next to the camera to change the aperture then all the way back to the focus ring. For shorter lenses though your left hand is usually right where the aperture ring would/should be.</p>

<p>Keep in mind, too, that just because a company patents something, that doesn't mean they plan on bringing it to market. Research-intensive companies develop all kinds of stuff and only some of it actually ends up turning into (or being used in) a product, but of course after spending time and money developing it, they patent it to protect their intellectual property.</p>