Ego Question

green_photog

<blockquote>

<p>Just wanted to clarify that I am not oppose to using the E session as a test per se, <em>I just don't think it's polite to tell it to my face.</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p>I take a different view. I think you should change your attitude to look at this like a challenge which you are (or should be) prepared for. I have had clients tell me just that. That the engagement shoot will serve as their trial run. Do you take offence or do you rise to the challenge? I think it is fair to ask, and certainly something that <em>I</em> would as a client. It is tantamount to asking a building contractor to do a small patio for you before you allow him to remodel the rest of your house.</p>

<p>A lot about photography is predicated on attitude and self-confidence. I daresay, judging from your posting history, that this is an area you might want to work on, especially when you are in the wedding photography business.</p>

<p>Bottom line, if you want the wedding shoot, then do the e-session and wow them. If you choose to take offence, then just walk away. Your attitude will be just as key to getting good images as theirs, on the big day...</p>

It's really not fair to Green to dismiss his reaction as thin-skinned. He is reacting - consciously or subconsciously - to

the words, the body language and demeanor, the personality, and the implied intent of the prospective client. Some

here have observed that this might have been a strong and reliable signal that the groom wasn't open to Green's approach,

or that he fully intended to use Green for a free session and drop him, or would otherwise be a difficult client. All we can

evaluate are the words, which could be innocuous, or not. Green evaluated a lot more.

So I'm inclined to trust his judgment, even though he's the one asking.

At the same time, this (a test) is partly how I see my own e-sessions. I work hard to establish rapport and credibility

with my clients during these sessions. But like Green and Maria, I avoid people who demonstrate an inclination to take

advantage.

The key, if doing a session prior to signing and booking the wedding, is to sign an agreement that the session is a

part of the wedding agreement and that the fee they pay for the session (prior to shooting) is applicable to the

wedding package when they book.

<p>A lot of good points raised, thanks all. To clarify my original intent of posting this is that if certain action isn't inappropriate in itself, does "spelling" it out make it inappropriate?</p>

<p>We have the right to chose clients which in itself isn't inappropriate. But if I "spell" it out to the bride in a meeting that I don't shoot budget brides with plastic cups and paper plates, is it an appropriate professional behavior on my part?</p>

<p>Same with using E session as a test which I don't think is inappropriate. But telling to the photog's face that we'll drop you if the E session isn't good, is it appropriate on the client's side?</p>

<p>Whether x behavior is appropriate or not is not the point, IMHO. Regardless of how appropriate, you just have to go by your instinct and reading of body language and intonation and decide for yourself what the client's intention was. Then choose your own behavior based upon what you want to do. As I said--you want the clients and the job, do it with a smile. You don't--don't do it, or attach a 'happy price' to the engagement session IF the client decides not to book you.</p>

<p>Since no one else was there when the client said his piece, no one can tell you how appropriate his comment was. Could have been totally innocent, or could have been laden with passive aggressive behavior.</p>

<p>It may not be "polite" for someone to tell you, to your face, they're testing you, but it's honest. And you should know that - you're being tested each and every time you pick up a camera for your clients, regardless of whether you've already secured the contract or not...</p>

<p>So, do or don't do the shoot - that should be a choice you make based on your chemistry with the couple and your own abilities, rather on the premise that they may not like your work in the end...after all, that is a possibility every single time.</p>

<p>Personally, IF I ever decide to take the plunge, I seriously and honestly pity the poor photographers who'll submit themselves to me for selection...;-)</p>

<p>So I emailed the bride about the date now being booked. Reading her email saying she's disappointed made me feel a little sad as it was the groom's idea to use the E session as test drive.</p>

<p>But now I understood why I'm cold to using E session as test drive. Although there's nothing wrong with it, just like dating, if it doesn't feel right from the first moment, it probably won't feel right for the both of us at the end, no matter how well the E session turns out. At least that's how I feel about this business.</p>