Vivitar M42 100mm f2.8 NON macro

phyliss_crowe

<p>Can't really answer your question Phyliss but I have yet to meet a prime lens in that range that is worse than my skills as a photographer :-) The Pentax M 100mm is a fine lens of very compact size and has a 49mm filter size, if I would not have such a collection of macro lenses I would use it more, what a shame.</p>

<p>I know you have noted NOT the Macro lens, but that said the Series One of the Vivitar is said to be excellent and many of the he other Vivitars were only rated so-so (this coming from old Practical Photography reviews I seem to recall) . If it isn't "Series One" I would personally probably not consider it. IMHO the coatings DO make a difference and Pentax M lenses of that era had arguably equaled the best coatings of the time. If you have the Vivitar lens in hand point it at a light source and look for reflections in the lens (not directly at the sun of course). Further while I use screw mount lenses on my digital Pentax bodies I personally prefer K mount for a variety of reasons, just personal preference.</p>

<p>If I found a 100/2.8 M lens at a good price I might get it. I have two examples of the 100/2.8 (37XXX...), both in Konica AR mount. I got the first one new in 1976 at about the same time I got my 85/1.8 Hexanon. The Hexanon is better. The Vivitar is not a bad lens. If you close it down a little it's a decent performer. I finally got an Adaptall II K-A adapter so now I can use my Tamron 90/2.5 SP (52BB) for my K mount cameras. At about the same time I got a 100/3.5 Vivitar Macro (Cosina-made). For about $40 it was a steal. I have a number of versions of this lens in different mounts. It's small and light and quite sharp, even with the 1:1 close-up lens. It isn't built as well as the Tamron but is a lot easier to carry around. K mount lenses really became popular again after Pentax made its first DSLR. K mount equipment was never as popular in the U.S. as it was elsewhere. There are a lot more 100/2.8 Canons and 105/2.5 Nikkors and even 100/2.5 Rokkors floating around than 100/2.8 SMC Pentax-Ms. If you don't mind using a screw to K adapter you can find an old 105/2.8 Vivitar or Soligor T4 lens. You will not have auto diaphragm though. Some other lenses in the 100 range which are good for macro and general use: Vivitar 90/2.8, Vivitar 90/2.5 Series 1, Tokina 90/2.5, Kiron 105/2.8, Vivitar 100/2.8 (22XXX...), Vivitar 105/2.5 Series 1 (same as 100/2.8 22XXX...?), Sigma 90/2.8, Panagpor 90/2.8, Elicar 90/2.5, Vititar 90/2.5 (not Series 1), Rokunar 90/2.5. For collecting I would rather have the Pentax lens but in use the macro lenses are more versatile. </p>

<p>I have 4 Vivitars – all Kiron or Komine made except an f2.8 135mm that came from a portrait studio. It’s M42 and not on The List (only a 6-digit serial number) so I have no way of knowing who manufactured it for Vivitar. It’s unique in that it has a wide chrome band around the front edge of the body of the lens. Vivitar made a ton of 135s, but I’ve yet to see another one like this one. It’s nice, too; very sharp, great colors, but requires a tri or chest pod.</p>

<p>I also have the Komine f2.8 28mm, a 35-105mm (does require a hood for best results and is painfully sharp!), and the 70-150 one-touch, all of which I love and regularly use on a K200D. All are keepers. (Vivitar was so ahead of its time.) But I really want a fast, medium telephoto prime for indoor use.</p>

<p>Never had a Tokina made Vivitar so wasn’t sure how they stacked up to the 22xx and 28xx lenses. I did once have a straight up Tokina 70-210 I used on a Nikon film camera. Small and easy to handle but it was slow, and I didn’t like the IQ or colors so much. Woefully subpar to the Vivitars I had for that same Nikon. And the Pentax-M would be incredibly easier to handhold.</p>

<p>Given the price the Pentax 100mm non-macro is commanding at present, I was hoping the Vivitar would be a decent and competitive alternative at a more palatable price than the Pentax. 85s and 90s continue to languish outside my budget at this time - but not entirely out of the question.</p>

<p>……Santa, Cutie, there's one thing I really do need; the deed to a platinum mine.</p>

<p>Thanks for your input!</p>