Confused about a Nikon FM2

<p>Hi,<br>

I have today received a Nikon FM2 from a famous auction site and am confused about it.<br>

It is all black with FM2 in white letters, in the usual place on a black body.<br>

However, it has a top shutter speed of 1/1000 sec and a flash sync speed (in red of 1/125), and these are the speeds that I would expect an FM to have, not an FM2 or FM2n.<br>

I have searched mir.com, photo.net, apug etc but can find no referenec to a Nikon FM2 with a top shutter speed of 1/1000 sec.<br>

It has a serial number N 7756630.<br>

I am very confused.</p>

<p>It's possible that at some point someone has replaced the original top plate of an FM with a part from an FM2. Which would be very odd, as the multiple exposure switch is in a different location, and the shutter release button is different.</p>

<p>It's easy enough to tell. Open the back and look at the area shown in the photo below to the lower right of the shutter. If you do <strong>not</strong> see the two gold contacts highlighted in the photo, then you have an FM with mismatched parts.</p>

<p>If you do see the two gold contacts (they're for the MF-16 databack), then you have an FM2 with an incorrect shutter speed dial.</p><div>00ZLw7-399731584.jpg.8e755110ec019e3c759f42a860119e7f.jpg</div>

<p>Another possibility is that it is the correct shutter speed dial, but that the indicator plate on top with the lettering has been changed. IIRC it is just glued on. Again, easy to verify. Note the difference in knurling around the outer circumference of the shutter speed dial in the photo. FM2n on the left, FM on the right.</p><div>00ZLx4-399741584.jpg.2a62a49e6a074a063e32e7e7c1d99e4a.jpg</div>

<p>Thanks again Michael. It has a shutter speed dial as in the left photo of the FM2, so it looks like it is an FM2 with the wrong shutter speed lettering glued on.<br>

The next problem is that the shutter doesn't fire, and the film advance lever has to be forced hard to go further than half way. For another thread I guess.</p>

<p>Yep. Unless this was explicitly listed in the <em>Item condition:</em> field at the top of the auction page as <em>"for parts or not working"</em>, if there are undisclosed faults with the camera that cause it to not work correctly you are entitled under the eBay and Paypal buyer protection programs to return the item for a refund of your purchase price and initial shipping fees. But it is usually best to try and work out an amicable solution with the seller first before involving eBay/Paypal and initiating a "significantly not as described" claim.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p><strong>Tampered</strong> cameras such as this one, are hardly ever worth a bargain price. The further you dig, the more garbage you'll find...</p>

<p>BTW: Assuming that you used PayPal, the Ebay folks can force a full refund no <strong>matter what's in the ad</strong>.<br>

In the effort to do away with any bad press or ripoff fears, they would rather error on the side of the buyers.</p>