Is the Nikon D700 still good?

maximilian_gajek

<p>Technically talking, a new camera should be better than the previous one, but I do believe any camera is "still good" in your hands, only if you know what to do behind it. For some people, they do think that if they get the newest camera, will make them a better photographer and the previous camera they had, is already obsolete and incapable of taking good pictures any more. The D700 is a very good camera and will continue taking good pictures <strong><em>only</em></strong> if the person behind it, is an artist. If that person moves to a better camera, his pictures will continue being the best. If on the contrary, you are not that good taking pictures, it does matter what camera you have in your hands cause your pictures will not improve, so my opinion is that, the D700 is still an excellent camera ... only if ... </p>

<p> </p>

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maximilian, I have a plugin for Firefox the displays exit data - it's the first thing I look at when trying to find out about

the provenance of an image. It has a line about being processed by eBay.

I thought you said the camera had already been sold (or rather, is no longer available)? What happened, did you send

him a message before it disappeared and he wrote back and said he's still got one and you can send him $1500 for it?

We're not trying to rain on your parade here, just trying to help you not get taken. Yes, amazon and eBay have some

buyer protection, but they're not totally reliable, there are conditions under which they don't have to pay you, and they

don't replace the buyer being sensible. There are too many things about this that are suspicious. Take a pass.

Btw, forgive me if I'm wrong but it doesn't sound like you're an experienced photographer, or at least not an

experienced DSLR user. If I may be so presumptuous, I'd interject and recommend that you look at the consumer line

of cameras. They're smaller and less expensive, but the photos they take are just as good or nearly just as good

(enough so that most people won't notice the difference) and usually easier for a novice to use, and being cheaper

they free up your budget to buy the items that people who buy a camera like a D700 usually have already - like lenses

and flashes and maybe a decent tripod depending on what you shoot. The D5100 has the same sensor as the D7000

but in a less ambition body at a less ambitious price, and if you don't already have Nikon lenses you won't mind the

main limitation which is that it won't autofocus with lenses that don't have built in motors. $1500 would get you a

D5100 with 18-55 VR lens, 55-200 VR lens, 35mm f/1.8 lens (all new) and refurb SB-600 flash, all from Adorama

which is an extremely reliable seller. You'd get a lot of mileage out of that.

<p>I told the guy who sold the camera that I didn't want to buy it. And he was like: ''I will report you for fooling me'' and he also said. ''I have your IP adress, the police will come'' And his English was HORRIBLE. He couldn't even speak real English. And he said he was German, but that he had lived in America for a year. So I asked him something in German, and he didn't reply. So he lied about that too. What should I do?</p>

<p>At the expense of seeming to bash the original poster - It's not about the camera.<br>

No, an Iphone can't duplicate the resolution of a high dollar camera, but the emotion and beauty of the photo is seen by the photographer, the camera just records it.<br>

As far as the MP count is concerned, this is a 1.48MP crop from a couple of years ago:<br>

<a href=" Having a little fun with Keena and the dandelion...

I've printed it as an 8x10 and it looks just fine.</p><div>00ZMH9-400019584.jpg.6e865ef616aa6290c1732fd856d17042.jpg</div>

<p>+1/peter</p>

<p>as previously stated, the amazon marketplace vendors can be sketchy at best in many cases. there's little protection that amazon can offer in this case above/beyond what your credit card company will offer. buying actually /from/ amazon can be awesome as they have a great return policy. buying from any of their trusted (new stock) sellers like adorama or 17th street is less ideal. buying from the "used" section is definitely at-your-own-risk.</p>

<p>do the math: deal too good to be true (+) belligerent seller (=) bad news ... as peter stated, cut communication and send a note to amazon (no need to tell /him/ what you're doing, but unfortunately, it's unlikely that amazon will actually do anything... they get their cut.). </p>

<p>Burn this into your forehead:<br /> <strong>If it's too good to be true, it's not likely to be true.</strong><br /> Turn <em>him</em> in - he's the one who is acting unethically. Of course, no one will ever find him again, but you should give his telephone number to Amazon along with the rest of the information about your uncompleted *thank goodness* transaction.</p>

<p>When I was first contemplating going digital, I tried to buy a 'bargain' like this, and then got a bogus, but official looking, email from "Amazon" telling me how to send a money order to (I kid you not) Transylvania! Needless to say, I did not.</p>

<p>Maximilian--<br>

After reading your last post, I think you came very close to being ripped off by a scam. There is an old saying that if something seems too good to be true, it probably isn't (true.) I'm automatically suspicious of anyone selling anything that more than 10% under the going price of something. I totally agree with Hunter and others above. Consider being more careful about where you buy from. </p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Comparing DX and FX is like comparing apples and oranges. With D700 you get shallower DOF which is good for portraits and candid shot, D7000 will give you more DOF good for landscape etc. I think it really depends on what you're shooting and also your personal preference. DX body will give you further reach on your tele lens but with FX you can work with DOF more creatively. Personally I would buy D700 if I had the money. I have Nikon DX body and Film body an I like film much more. It renders pictures with more 3D feel because of it's shallower DOF,and if you really need more things in focus you can always stop down or use a wider lens. And FX bodies have much bigger viewfinders and I think that fact is very important because your photograph is only reflection of what you see in there. So from my experience it's much easier to compose with bigger one.</p>

<p>I have had the Nikon d700 for about 3 months now it is simply a superb camera,I still have my D300s and before that a D200. The D700 is a completely different beast,the clarity and total lack of noise is wonderful. The D300s is an excellent camera but their is a quite distinct step up in image quality with the full frame sensor. Perfect 20x30 inch prints what more could you want.</p>