First leica, M8 or M9

jeff_stone1

<p>I am on a limited budget and I need your opinions on whether to purchase:<br>

a) M9 along with a cheaper lens; or<br>

b) M8 and use the extra money to buy a better lens<br>

This will be my first leica and I want to buy the M8 and invest in the best lens I can. However, I have no experience with either and I have a heard of a number of problems with the M8 (e.g., no IR filters, etc). What would you do? Thanks</p>

Get an M8 from KEH or someone who has a return policy if you need to return the camera. Get a Leica

lens with 6 bit coding- either a 21mm, 28, or 35. For the lens get a B+W 486 UV/IR blocking filter, which along with the 6 bit coding, you'll need for problem free color, and you're set. You'll need a RAW processor, whether it comes with the camera or not.

<p>Jeff, <br>

5 months ago I bought an used M8 with a Elmarit 28 and a Summilux 50. I like the system so much that now I want to upgrade the M8 to the M9 to get full frame benefit.<br>

So, my advice will be if you can, get the M9 and the best lens you can get. Normally, Leica lenses keep its value (so I understand) and you can upgrade/change/add lenses later, which you will in anycase be doing.</p>

I don't think an M9 is the camera to get for your first Leica, especially on a limited budget. For the most

part, you can make pictures that are just as good with an M8. The M9 might offer one stop or so better

ISO performance, but that's about it. The issue on full frame is that it replicates 35mm as far as depth of

field, not really a huge deal unless you're an advanced photographer with specific needs, and even then, it's questionable. I'm sure the M9 is a fine camera, but for most people putting that big a chunk of money into a single

camera is extravagant, and more gear obsessed than anything else.

<p>M8 or M9 - I guess "limited budget" is relative :)<br>

<br />I was never quite happy with the M8, inability to chose the lens manually, IR filters and all.... BUT <br />What focal length are you looking at? Normal... super wise. That will influence your choice.<br>

<br />I have a friend who has the M8/35 Lux combo and I don't hear him complanining :) That alone is the price of a new M9 and if you have $7000 to burn, that is a good place to start, then you could add another lens, maybe, soon?</p>

<p>Agree with Ray, too. IMO, if you are new to rangefinders, not just Leica, consider an M4 or M6, get a 50mm Summicron and burn some film. You'll be out maybe $1,200-1,800, and if that type of camera not for you, you can easily recoup the money.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Jeff,</p>

<p>I've got an M8.2 and mostly use it with a 35 cron. I really love it. Bought it used, and it did need to go back to Leica for a tune-up, but since I got it back in June (with a one year warranty) I've put over 6000 shots on it and it's just purring along.</p>

<p>Full frame would be nice but for $7000, I can live with the 1.3 crop factor and the IR filters.</p>

<p>Best,<br>

-Tim</p>

<p>M8 is the more sensible choice as a first Leica, some people find that rangefinders are not their thing. Most Leica gear will hold its value fairly well, though if you buy an M9, you're in for a big loss. M8's have already depreciated, M9s are yet to see it, but it's just a matter of time; the moment there's even a rumour of an M10 you'll lose a substantial about. </p>

<p>If you get the M8 you'll need IR/UV filters on every lens you use if you shoot color. That can be a costly proposition. Also, get a get model M8 if you buy one. The M8.2 preferably. </p>

<p>I'd say if you can afford it at all, go for the M9. Mechanically you'll have a better made camera, you'll get full frame, which is a blessing.</p>

<p>If you are hard up, get an M6 or late model M7--or the very seductive Zeiss Ikon ZM. Then get a good used Leica 50 or 35. With the cash you have left over you can get a good dedicated scanner. </p>

<p>But frankly, if you wish to go digital go for the M9. Then get a used Summicron 50/2 or something like that. With no need for an IR/UV filter you have an amazing assortment of lenses at your disposal. </p>

<p>I have both an M8 and an M9. The M8 had to be serviced twice under warranty and still produces a nasty little streak at ISO 2500 when shooting in low light. So far the M9 has be as good as gold.</p>

<p>But frankly the poor man's M9 is a film Leica. You get full frame and you do not have to worry about sensor cleaning.</p>

Have you tried rangefinders before? Some people get into Leicas without trying RF photography first and are shocked to find out there are no auto features.

If it's your first, get the M8. What focal length are you after? On my M8, I'm perfectly happy with the 50mm summarit it came with. It's a very compact lens that most people do not seem to like.

On my M9, I use the 28 Elmarit ASPH which is very sharp.

I'm happy with both combinations and though I have the 35 cron and the 50 lux, I find them too big and heavy. My neck and shoulder are sore when I have these lenses attached. If you want to carry it all day, go for a small kit.

Good luck!

It think that a large part of the M8/M9 choice depends on the lenses you want to use. If you like extreme wideangles, the M8 will limit your choices, while the M9 is more limited in long lens choice.

Decide the lenses you'd like to end up with, and pick your camara based on that.

Example: my most used lens is a 50mm, followed by a 21mm, while I don't much care about the focal lengths in between. So I chose the M3, since no Leica has a build-in 21 frameline anyway, and the M3 has the best 50mm finder of them all.

<p>I would definitely say the M9 over the M8. I have had both, and there is no comparison. Also, Leica doesn't make many (or any) "bad" lenses. The 35mm f/2.5 Summarit for example is fantastic. And of course there are Zeiss and Voigtlander lenses.<br>

Cost aside, and in terms of shooting experience and image quality, if you gave me an M9 and a choice of 3 voigtlander lenses, versus an M8 and 3 Leica lenses, I would take the M9! The advantages of having the full frame sensor, better ISO performance, no IR filters, dedicated ISO button and quieter shutter (versus the M8.1) are all a huge benefit to your daily shooting experience. The difference between the best Voigtlander lenses and Leica lenses is something more subtle in most situations. </p>

<p>If Leica is going to be your first rangefinder camera, then would suggest to get familiar with the rangefinder system. Rangefinder is quite different from let say "SLR", you may/may not like it. If you would like to get hang of it, then, try M2/M3/M4. I know they are film cameras, but offer essentially same operation. If you happen to like it and move to digital. Sell the film body and keep the lens. M9 will give you the same field of view. BTW, I do not believe film M is poor man's M9. They have just different image capture media.</p>

<p>I just test drove a leica M9, never used a rangefinder before, the images presented on the screen are very average, I was told that they dont really depic what will come out of the camera. I also found it a little tricky to use, i guess it is just practice that is needed there, Loved the size of the lenses. Still tossing up weather to get one.</p>

<p>Jeff says he wants either an M8 or an M9. Two choices. These are digital cameras. I can't understand why folks keep suggesting film cameras. Jeff wants a digital camera and he wants a Leica. "A" or "B". I have an M8.2 which is perfectly adequate for my needs. However it seems that those who own both say to get the M9. The fact is, Jeff, you won't go wrong with either choice. Good luck with your photography.</p>