Panasonic 12-50 Zoom No Show?

wayne_murphy8

<p>No further mention of the rumored Panasonic 12-50 2.5/3.3 zoom lens it seems. It's well past time for a better faster micro 4/3 zoom than the slow 3.5-5.6 aperture zooms. Is this lens another myth or just production delay? It would be nice if Panasonic would at least state whether it is going to happen or not. Any thoughts?</p>

A standard zoom lens which has a 1 stop advantage at the short end and a 1 1/2 stop advantage at the long end, plus an attractive focal length equivalent to 24-100mm (full frame) would be a very attractive option. Perhaps manufactures are concentrating on first introducing more compact offerings (like Panasonic's new pancake standard zoom and the Olympus fast primes) to exploit M4/3's advantages of more compact optics compared with lenses available for the new APC offerings from Sony and Samsung.

<p>Where did you EVER see this lens listed as on the horizon by Panasonic? The answer to that question would be.... Nowhere.</p>

<p>Where have you seen it RUMORED? I have a feeling I know that too.</p>

<p>Now you know why you have not seen anything about it. It probably has never existed at all. Why should they make a comment about a rumor that never had any basis to begin with? They would be spending a lot of time doing that if they commented on every rumor started by someone about this system.</p>

<p>What I would like is a top quality "professional quality" zoom lens with a faster speed. Generally they go together, along with a higher price.<br>

Any search will reveal where the stories came from. Generally they appear to be reasonably credible. Greg, If you aren't interested, then why not just ignore my post? Why bother being aggressive and rude? People use these forums to seek information. I try to help if I can. I don't trash people's questions because I'm having a bad hair day. Thanks for the positive comments. </p>

<p>If thinking me saying too many people take rumors from four-thirds rumors and DPReview, turn them into reality and then wonder why Panasonic does not reveal their plans when the rumors never materialize is trashing your post, then I guess I'm guilty as charged.</p>

<p>My hair's doing just fine. How about yours?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think it is a problem with what the market demands, or what Panasonic think is being demanded. With their FZ series .... early on it was an f/2.8 constant x12 zoom with the FZ20 but sadly has degenerated to smaller apertures as greater zoom is demanded along with compactness. I guess Panasonic think the demand for the lens Wayne would like is rather limited. It would be nice if they brought out a constant fast zoom but I'm not holding my breath. They designed it for the FZ20 so one for M4/3 is half designed ... ignorance and wishful thinking :-)</p>