Hi -Res image from an achitectural shoot

bob_estremera

<p>Quick question about hi-res images- I make the assumption that from all architectural photography shoots, that the photographer maintains all rights to the photographs. But what I want to know is, typically, what is the arrangement made with the architect for the images of the shoot? Do they just pic the shots they want and you process them and deliver files or what?<br /> Thanks, Bob</p>

The sky is the limit. Licensing is all up to you. There are some "standards" but really, anymore, you can find just about any

kind of agreement being used. The key's are pricing the job right, and providing the most flexibility possible, meaning

give the client what they want, nothing less, and maybe a little more. . .

<blockquote>

<p>I make the assumption that from all architectural photography shoots, that the photographer maintains all rights to the photographs.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Why this assumption? If you are free-lancing, yes, up to the point of sale.</p>

<p>If you are working as an employee, or if you have a contract with the buyer, then whatever your terms of employment and/or contract say.</p>

<p>As a frelancer, you have full copyright of any and all images you take, ASSUMING you have not agreed to something different with the owner(s) of the building. It is them who have some control of how an image can be used (i.e. to promote a specific product - "commercial use" - you'd have to get their permission via a property release and so on and so forth), not the architect. S/he's their employee after all with no say as to how the building will be used later on.</p>

<p>As for post, it is down to your agreement with the customer. Licencing however is still yours to handle - even if someone else is doing the post (in recent cases, the courts have found that post processing an images does not consitute transformative work and thus the copyright remains with the original photographer - best to confirm that with your lawyer however to see how it applies to your case and country).</p>