Quantum Qflash and Wedding Photography

susan_winn

<p>I have some questions about the Qflash but let me give you some background first before I ask my question. I am sorry if this is very confusing.<br>

I am photographing a wedding in two weeks. This wedding is an evening wedding at this funky fun retro hotel. I have photographed several wedding, not too many. Mostly during the day. I am renting the Nikon D700, my backup camera is my personal Nikon D200. I am renting the SB800 flash and I have backup flash. I am also renting a 24-70mm lens and a wide angle fish eye for fun and of course I have my 50mm. <br>

This wedding is at The Mangolia Hotel in Denver, really fun hotel. I have been looking at wedding photographs that have been done at this venue, researching, visiting the hotel etc etc. I am of course going to do take the normal photographs that work, but I also want to experiment. how could I not at such a cool hotel!<br>

I am going to have a friend help me at this wedding, she is new a photography. I want to rent a portable flash that I can have my friend hold somewhere around the subjects to give additional lighting or funky lighting. I just want it to be an on going light source. I have experience with studio lighting but that is not really portable (well at least what I have). I want it to do the same as the studio lighting but be portable. its going to be night time, i want to go out side and take pictures in downtown, alleys, stairways, etc. I don't care if it flashes with my camera, it just be on like a flash light. I was doing research and it seems the Quantum Qflash is what I am looking for. <br>

So if all of this make sense. Do you think this is what I am looking for? which one should i rent? or should I just scratch the whole idea and mess it when I am not shooting a wedding?<br>

I am going to get the photos first before I experiment. I don't want to mess up the wedding. just to make things clear. Experimenting will come after everything done and the bride and groom knows I am interested in playing. <br>

I was looking at Camren.com where I rent my supply's and they have many types, its a bit overwhelming. suggestions..anything...be honest please! here are some of the choices I have:</p>

<table border="0" cellspacing="2" cellpadding="2" width="95%">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td width="85%">QFT5 D flash w/ turbo battery</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">30.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">QFX2 D flash w/400B battery</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">30.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">QFT2 D flash w/ turbo battery</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">25.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">QF TTL & QTTL cords</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">2.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum Turbo 3 (1/2 price w/ rental of flash)</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">20.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum Turbo battery (1/2 price w/rental of flash)</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">15.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum Turbo 2x2 (1/2 price rental w/rental of flash)</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum battery II (1/2 price w/rental of flash)</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">10.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum battery I (1/2 price w/rental of flash)</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">10.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum Turbo Z (1/2 price w/rental of flash)</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">Quantum Battery cords (w/out battery)</td>

<td width="15%" align="right">2.00</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td width="85%">

<p>Quantum Q Flash Quick release Brackett</p>

<p>sorry about the prices I just copied and pasted. </p>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p><br /></p>

<p>Seems that except your D200 you will be renting pretty much everything. Rent well ahead of time and test all, including figuring out the best way to use them.</p>

<p><em>" I don't care if it flashes with my camera" </em>- this is realy confusing. You would expect any flash to flash together with your camera. Why do you need Quantum flash then, wouldn't the SB800 and D700 be enough? You need something for a specific purpose, not because you just read somewhere about it.</p>

<p>"<em>Experimenting will come after everything done and the bride and groom knows I am interested in playing." - </em>weeding is a serious business, and no time for playing.</p>

<p>Since you say: "<em>I have photographed several wedding, not too many"</em> - so perhaps you know what needs to be done ?</p>

<p>"<em>or should I just scratch the whole idea and mess it when I am not shooting a wedding?" </em>- seems like you are not sure about your ability to do it ? But when will you get another chance to shoot a wedding ?<br>

<em> </em><br>

I would not give up immediately, if you could "mess up" well before the wedding, learn, experiment with the camera/flash(es) and then you decide. Why didn' you try out everything already? Do you really find interest in becoming wedding photographer ?</p>

<p>Two weeks is a lot of time to learn and figure the best settings, approach etc.</p>

<p>I actually have Quantums and have used them at weddings. For on camera flash, there really isn't anything the Quantum can do that the SB800 can't, except make the camera big and heavy, and tethered to a battery pack. I only use the Quantums for off camera flash. It can either be on a stand, or a monopod your assistant carries, and triggered with radios. You can use on camera flash in conjunction with OC flash by using a sync cord from the body to the radio.</p>

<p>For nice portrait lighting you can fire the Quantum into an umbrella, or use a speed ring and softbox mounted directly on the flash. The Quantum works very well in auto flash mode so long as you have the flash sensor pointed at the subjects.</p>

<p>Based on your prices, I would bring three Turbo 2x2's and two turbo lights. I would also get the cord that goes from a Turbo to the SB800 (it will greatly improve the recycling time and you won't have to change the AA's during the gig.) For what you'll be doing the T2's are the lights to get. The X2's have bigger battery packs and the T5's don't put out more light. The only reason to get the T5's would be if you have an easier time setting them up, because they have have a better interface. (I never used the T5.)</p>

<p>Give yourself a day to play with all the gear and getting it to all play together. If you don't, you'll either waste a lot of shooting time at the wedding, or not make good use of the lights or both.</p>

<p>can the Quantum flash meter TTL or is it manual only?<br>

If it is manual only, I'd want to use a Nikon flash to simplify shooting. Photographing a wedding is challenging.<br>

Certainly a multi-light setup can make some good photos, but for the bulk of a wedding, most wedding photographers use just a single flash with a simple light modifier like a Gary Fong LightSphere.<br>

You're also renting a D700 and some lenses. A fine camera, but it will be different than your D200. I upgraded from a D90 to a D3 about 3 months ago. While they are both Nikon and both introduced in the same year, it has taken me some time to learn the D3. Undeniably, the D3 produces finer images, but it is also more demanding. It has taken me three months of heavy shooting to really become comfortable with the D3. Still, I can't move the focus points as easily, so I am a little slower with my D3.<br>

A wedding goes "boom, boom, boom." Things move fast, so you have to be able to decide what to do and set the camera pronto.</p>

<p>I wouldn't use any piece of equipment for the first time at a wedding, much less a flash unit. A Q-flash is not nearly as automated as the SB-800 in relationship to a Nikon DSLR. It can be used, but you have to know what you're doing. An SB-800 is nearly foolproof.</p>

<p>A Q-flash is twice as powerful (i.e., only one stop!) and can be flashed as fast as it recycles (1-2 seconds) continually without overheating. In terms of automation, though, it's "back to the future" by 30 years or so.</p>

<p>A second SB-800 would do everything you're talking about, and serve as a backup for the one your main flash unit. Nothing will perform out as you hope unless you work out the details ahead of time.</p>

<p>I am looking for a constant light source for some particular photo ideas. I would like the portable light to be hand held and battery powered. That way I can or my friend can go to different areas around the B&G: lets say above the B&G on a stairwell and have a light source from there or have the B&G backlit. <br>

I am thinking that I should go ahead and shoot the wedding as planned and at a later date rent the Q Flash and experiment then. After reading all your comments, I think I should stick with what I know and I don't feel like two weeks will be enough time for me to feel comfortable experimenting with new equipment. I am familiar with the equipment that I am renting and am confident that I will get some good photographs. I think I might go ahead and rent a second SB800. This seems like it will be beneficial.<br>

I am comfortable with my studio lights and umbrella. Would it be ridiculous for me to take these with me? I am able to have them in one bag I can set aside and use if needed. </p>

<p>If you aren't familiar with shooting a manual flash, and not used to working with a handheld flash meter, I think sticking to the SB-900 type iTTL flash for a wedding that's in two weeks is a good idea. It took me half a year to really catch on to shooting with manual exposure monolights off camera. The SB-900 is a lot easier to use than the SB-800. The menu for switching to off camera use is a LOT less confusing. I assume you are aware that there are radio controlled iTTL triggers for using Nikon flash off camera in iTTL mode now.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Learn to use various modes from the booklet about SB800.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/SB800_techniques.pdf">http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/SB800_techniques.pdf</a></p>

<p>Learn about the flash from the SB800 Manual.</p>

<p><a href="http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-800.pdf">http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-800.pdf</a></p>

<p>Reset borrowed flash with 2 finger technique. Then set it to iTTL, iTTL/BL, or iTTL/BL/FP, depending where and how you shoot.<br>

<br />Perhaps set ISO on D700 to ISO=800 to allow faster flash recyckling? if necessary even higher.<br />Use the diffusion done on SB800, or bounce the light.<br>

<br />Make sure you do not invoke the keypad lock function.<br />Do not worry about SB900, is not as good as the SB800, just a bit easier to use the modes with a mechanical switch.</p>

<p>"<em>I think I might go ahead and rent a second SB800."</em><br>

<em> </em><br>

Just keep things simple. One SB800, one D700, is all you will need. (plus a backup camera and flash?)</p>

<p>If you add second flash (SB800/900) or Quantum flash, you will complicate your lighting, and that could possibly have adverse effect. You would need an assistant or two, and more experience.</p>

<p >If I may, I'd like to ask a question on a slightly different tack. I've been under the impression that Quantum Flash makes a head light that w/ the correct adapter will give full ittl (or whatever the latest Nikon full automation flash system is called) the same as an SB-800. </p>

<p >Have I been mistaken?JD</p>

<p>Oh! I want to make it clear, my question is not meant to contradict the above advice to keep it simple, & not change equipment just before an important assignment. It just raised a question of my own. I want to own & use a Quantum Flash eventually. And while I'm capable of shooting any flash(s) manually, I desire the speed of automated flash exposure.<br>

Thanks, JD</p>

<p>Quantums do integrate with Nikon's TTL system, which is different from their CLS system that puts camera and flashes into one unit, so to speak. Q Flashes have a TTL mode and when you use a Quantum Trio -- the hot shoe-mounted version -- it works with the Nikon TTL system just like a Nikon flash (OK, not <em>just </em>like, but let's take a broad view) and takes it's flash metering from the camera. It also has an Auto mode where it makes its own flash exposure metering.</p>

<p>You may want to visit the Quantum web site and download a couple of the manuals. They will give you the data you're asking about in terms of capabilities.</p>

<p>As a former owner of Nikon SB900s who switched to Quantum Trios for our event work, I can tell you you'll pretty much never have to wait more than a second for the flash to recycle, not will it overheat and shut down on you. Our SB900s routinely shut down at the worst times, but that's a whole other off-topic story, well-told in this forum.</p>