Quick Release & L-Plate for Arca-Swiss Z1 Ball Head plus Legs

stevejw

<p>As per title, I'd like to buy an Arca-Swiss ball head & was thinking of getting a different brand quick release system & L-Plate, any recommends appreciated.<br>

I was going to use the head on either Gitzo GT5531S or Really Right Stuff TVC-33 tripod legs.<br>

Any suggestions for either are welcome.<br>

<p>Thanks Mat, considering a few options at the moment & yes, RRS gear does seem to be top notch considering all the positive comments they receive.<br>

Are you using their heads as well, i.e. the BH-40 or BH-55?<br>

I'm also keen on their TVC-33 tripod legs, they seem to be excellent quality & worth the money.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>Arca-Swiss makes some excellent plates and the new quick releases are more compact and even have a level installed. The classic will take any manufacturers 'Arca' style plates and we have a new pair of L brackets with adjustments that are beautiful, very light, and don't need replacement when you change cameras. Some of the third party manufacturers quick releases And plates etc are 1mm larger and so some other manufacturers plates won't work in each others and they can't clamp down as the true original plate specification is 1mm smaller.<br>

We also now offer 'Monoball fix plates which are lighter and more compact and the classic QR can take these as well because it has a dual channel. The monoball fix QR, and the classic QR, also have safety stops so those who are concerned will never have to worry about losing a camera with a slide-through plate.<br>

Look into the new, built in, Qr's we offer and you might save some money and your camera.<br>

Rod Klukas<br /><br />US Representative<br />Arca-Swiss International<br />PO box 28450<br />Tempe, AZ 85285<br /><br />(480) 755-3364<br />(480) 206-4770 Mobile<br />Skype: rod.klukas</p>

The standard Arca-Swiss clamp works just fine and is plenty robust for a locking clamp. I don't happen to like lever

locking clamps (all of the ones I've tried except the Arca-Swiss literally lock you into their system) and prefer screw

drive clamps.

I use the Really Right Stuff "L" camera plates on Canon and Nikon bodies but have a semi large collection of non

camera make/model dedicated flat plates from different manufacturers (A-S, Benro/INDURO, Foba, Kirk, as well as

RRS) that I use for lenses, macro and panoramic gear.

<p>Thanks for the input fellas.<br>

I have actually considered the Arca-Swiss QR and L-Plate, I probably would prefer the lever type but it's my understanding that the screw type is more user friendly. If anyone has tried both I'd like to hear about your thoughts on the two.<br>

Sticking to AC for everything, i.e. QR & L-Plate would make ordering a heck of a lot easier as well.</p>

<p>So Ellis, it isn't that the screw type is easier to use, it's just a compatibility thing for you?<br>

Rod, is Arca-Swiss planning on ever creating a web site? It would make life a lot easier for those interested in making a decision on their gear. So far I've been going by <a href="http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/">Robert White UK</a> shop site, it's pretty useful for Arca-Swiss stuff & they even have YouTube videos showing & explaining the differences in the Arca-Swiss heads.</p>

<p>A Z1 mounted on either TVC-33 or GT5531S legs I think would be an excellent set up.<br>

I Still haven't decided on the legs but leaning more toward RRS at the moment, the TVC-33 legs look rock solid and are pretty light for their size. The Gitzo legs look great as well, it's just they would cost me a lot more to ship over to Australia.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

<p>I have RRS ballhead/ lever QR and L plates and I'm very happy with my choice. For me after years using Manfrotto lever -type qr systems, a lever type is faster. I find screws slower and less obvious in reaching a view that its tight enough, and the way forward for me was the discovery that the lever should be facing away, meaning that you operate the lever with the left hand whilst guiding the camera with the right. This type of QR does lock you into one brand of plates though- which doesn't bother me. </p>

The underlying problem I have with lever locked QR clamps is that the are essentially binary: the clamp is either

locked tight or is completely unlocked. Which is good if you have a big heavy fast telephoto mounted but not good if,

as I frequently need to do have the clamp slightly open so that I can make a small change in where a rail sits in the

clamps jaws. You do have have to think a little more about whether the clamp is fully locked or slightly unlocked with

a screw drive mechanism but I've never, in over 20 years of using open ended Arca-Swiss based QR systems had a

camera or a lens fall out old even start to slide out with a screw drive clamp.

And yes I have tried both the RRS lever and screw drive clamps as well as the Arca-Swiss lever and screw clamps. Also the SlideFix system from A-S.

The SlideFix system works very well for most purposes with every camera I've used it including PaseOne medium format systems and my 1Ds Mk IIi bodies and lenses up to a 70-200mm f/2.8- but I wouldn't recommend it for use with a 400mm f/2.8 or larger/longer/heavier lens. The obvious reality is that the older/wider/bulkier/heavier Arca-Swiss based system is to be blunt, the standard for QR systems for still photography.

<p>Acratech Ultimate Ballhead<br>

Hi all<br>

I have a Gitzo 5 series monopod & 3 series tripod. I need a new* ball head to use w/ both supports for a Nikon system of “Fs” & 1 digital FX. The longest lens @ present is 200mm, But I'm looking forward to 300mm & compatible telextender. Soon I will buy a new 2<sup>nd</sup> ball head. I would prefer an Acra Swiss. But 2 things are dissuading me from AS. 1. the fact that they can not be field cleaned plus the attendant cost & time to send one to the US repair facility. 2. The much higher initial cost. (I'm not questioning whether or not they are worth the greater $, I just have what I believe to be better things to do w/ that $ @ this time) I'm leaning toward a Acratech Ultimate Ballhead. Or maybe it's leaning toward me;-) Your thoughts / advice on this greatly appreciated.<br>

My 2<sup>nd</sup> question is a little more complicated. In studying the various ball heads & their quick release technology, I've noted that some will allow the QR w/ camera/lens attached to slide totally out of the head when loosened. Some seem to have a detent to arrest this disgusting development. (But how effective is this?) While others seem to have a way to make it impossible. Being very absent minded, the ability to stop a camera/lens to slide out is extremely important. But I'm not @ all sure I've read these descriptions correctly. Any input greatly appreciated.<br>

*I have & will buy used Gitzos due to their ease of home repair. But I will not buy a used ball head, due to their need for extream precision in the ball & cradle (saddle?). I can see buying one on Ebay & it appearing OK @ 1<sup>st</sup> & then not performing satisfactorily upon real world usage. And the repairs costing almost as much as a new one.<br>

Thank you. JD</p>

<p>In my search for a good ball head & tripod I stumbled across <a href="http://www.ronmartblog.com/2011/05/tripod-recommendations2011-part.html">this Blog</a> which has some decent reviews of both heads and tripod legs.</p>

<p>The Benro B3 is meant to be pretty good value for money considering it costs nearly half of what Arca-Swiss Z1's does.</p>

<p>Cheers</p>

I fully cop to having a bit of an obsession when it comes to tripod heads. Who would have thought that it is so hard to

get something so seemingly simple right?

I'm not a wildlife photographer so I don't spend days and weeks staking out rare fauna and avia in remote muddy

watering holes or in the Artic tundra, but I do a lot of work in really dirty , gritty industrial conditions as well as very

sterile clean rooms.

I've used an Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball for fifteen years more or less. I've never had a problem with it or cleaning it. The

real advantage of the A-S Monoballs over other ball heads is the aspherical shape of the ball. It is a design that firmly

and without creep holds more weight than heads with spherical balls and does not immediately go floppy loose if not

tight. There are now a great many heads that externally look like the A-S B1 / Z1 Monoballs but use spherical balls.

I also have the Acratech Ultimate head. It is an interesting design and seems best suited if you are looking to save

weight. It is reasonably strong but the downside is that it is either tight or loose with almost no drag setting that is in-

between

<p>Ha, I have to admit that I've become a bit obsessed with getting this upcoming purchase 'just so'. The A-S Z1 is looking like the winner for a head at the moment, the tripod is a toss up between two Gitzo Systematic models and the TVC-33.<br>

With the Arca-Swiss in the lead I suppose I'll probably end up buying their L-Plate for the D700.<br>

All up I'd say it's going to be around $1550 - $1850.<br>

That said, I'd rather buy well, buy once. :)</p>

<p>If you're going to buy the Z1 get the Wimberley C-12 screw clamp and the RRS L-plate for your D700. Just buy the Arca-Swiss ballhead and nothing else A-S.</p>

<p>Neil Rothschild's comparison between Gitzo & RRS is the only data-based one out there. You can read all the marketing flim-flam you want but there are very few reviews based on empirical data. They're both good but the RRS <em>is</em> pricey. You can get the 4 leg section Gitzo 3541LS for $635 with a $40 mail-in rebate, folds smaller than the 3 leg section and virtually indistinguishable in performance as you've probably read. The secret is in the Gitzo leg locks.<br /></p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated.</p>

<p>I ended up going with the Really Right Stuff D700 L-Plate, TVC-33 and bag which have already been delivered. I must say, it's all very nice!</p>

<p>I also ordered an Arca-Swiss Z1 with QR (screw type) and a Nikon MC-36 remote which should be here tomorrow.</p>

<p>Can't wait to get out and do some low light long exposures with the new set up!</p>