Built for each other-The Ms

travis1

Dear all,

WOuld you use a FM3a body with a 35 summilux?

would you use a M6 with a nikon 85/1.4?

would you use a Canon D60 with an elmar?

assuming they are all compatible of course..

Don't you find that, leaving aside image qualities, the M bodies need

the M lenses and vice versa to really work for us?

So, which would you part with, the M bodies or the M lenses?

Or you can't?

Travis, I get what you are saying.

For me, it's mostly been the body (M bodies anyway, I don't care about the R). It offers something that no other camera can offer. The only reason that I'm a fan of the lenses, is their small form factor. But that is an extention of the design of the body.

While your questions make for interesting conjecture, Travis, I don't think I could separate the body/lens issue. I bought into the M system for both the quality of the Leica lenses and the difference in shooting style and vision afforded by the M rangefinder body. Notwithstanding that, however, I haven't sold any of my Nikon gear, and still use it for applications that require a high-quality SLR or digital.

I like the "taste" of M & Ms, and don't think an M & N combination would be the same. ;-)

Although I must admit that an autofocus Noctilux on the F5 would be interesting.

I agree that Leica M lenses and M bodies work best together. If they didn't, I wouldn't be interested in Leica. Having said that, there are exceptions. Some lenses have been built by other companies that work very well with Leica cameras, e.g. my C/V Heliar 15mm f/4.5. However, I don't know of any non-Leica lens that I'd rather use instead of a Leica M lens where such exists.

I would certainly NOT be attracted to a system with great lenses but crappy bodies (e.g. Contax G) or one with great bodies but crappy lenses (e.g. Olympus OM, which I used to own but got rid of).

Johnson, you have answered the question. The M lens is more important to you. You seemed to be willing to part with a Leica M body to use that M lens.

The question was basically asking you what was more important, in Leica context, the Lens or the Body?

I don't understand why so few people can understand that.

The body of course! I use a 21mm Super Angulon, and it is made by Schneider. Before that I had a 19mm Canon. For some things I prefer my 85mm f/2 Nikkor to my 90 Elmarit. I miss the 50/1.4 Nikkor I once owned. The 15mm Voigtlander has no competition. Leitz/Leica has produced some great lenses (and a few dogs). The M body lends itself to a style of photographic shooting. Each lens design has a unique "signature" of contrast, bokeh, sharpness, etc. Choose what works.