My next purchase...please help!!

lori_breyfogle

<p>I started my photography business about 2 years ago and it seems to be going pretty good. I have a D90 and a D40 for backup (which I have never had to use). I recently bought a 50mm 1.4G which I love and use most of the time. I also have a tamron 17-50mm 2.8, and a Nikon 18-200mm (thinking about selling??). I have a Sigma EF-530 flash. I do a few weddings, seniors, babies and families. I was thinking about purchasing the Nikon D700, I would like my D90 to be my backup camera and am looking for something better. I'm nervous about the price and my lenses working with the 700. If I did purchase the D700, not much money left for lenses so was considering the D7000. So I go from lenses to bodies and cant decide. I love the images I get from my better lense, 50mm but I dont like that I have to move around all the time and could miss a shot at a wedding if I'm too close. So... what would be a good lense for what I do and any recommedations on the body?? Also I do mostly outdoor photography but this winter plan on doing babies in a room in my house with lots of natural light. Thanks so much!! </p>

<p>Sit tight and wait for a D400. Keep your D90 as a back up and then sell the D40. When I looked at it, the D700 was cheap but the cost of getting pro FX zooms was huge. Don't spend big bucks on a D700 and then have to put cheap lenses on it. That's the classic beginner's mistake. Another way to look at it is if you spend the $$ on a D700 and the needed lenses, will you be making more money as a result? Highly doubtful.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>If your budget supports it, a D700 is very nice - but the 50mm is your only FX lens. A D7000 is almost as nice... but it's a step, not a leap, up from the D90. Maybe if you said more about <em>why</em> you want a new camera - in what ways is the D90 not meeting your needs? So you'll know what to look for in an upgrade.</p>

<p>Even when a D400 comes along, I would be very critical on whether it really brings something to your photography. Your original question to me shows almost no reason why you'd want to update your body. It sounds like updating for the sake of updating.<br>

Another route to consider is slowly getting seriously good FX lenses, and then when the D90 really runs out of steam, you got the lenses there to keep all options open (DX or FX). And you'd immediately have the benefits of the better lenses too. So, well, I would start looking at lenses more. Currently, your longest good quality is 50mm (the 18-200 is convenient, but not in the same league as the prime of the Tamron). I'd consider either something like a 85mm prime, an 80-200 f/2.8 or similar to extend your possibilities. Certainly during weddings, something longer can be most useful.</p>

<p>For the amount of disdain as I used to hold for DX bodies, I'm finally beginning to appreciate the benefits of the format. Instead of buying a pricey, new AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 for my FX body to shoot events, I'm planning to re-purpose my D7000 as a second body, with its lowly kit lens (18-105mm) for event shooting. I tried it, and it turns out to be quite a functional system for that purpose.</p>

<p>So, another option is to <em>only</em> buy DX--and build an awesome, two-body DX system. You keep your glass budget more in check, and you'll have two good bodies to shoot with (D90 + D7000). So, perhaps choose a D7000 instead, and opt for some "pro" DX glass. You'll have quite the outfit with the money saved from not buying an FX body <em>and</em> new FX glass.</p>

<p>Skipping the FX/DX debate (after all, it's what suits you best and what you can afford, more than anything!), I would definitely agree that waiting for the D400 is your best option and, contrary to what you may think, I truly believe it WILL help you, professionally, as it will almost definitely have better low-light performance than the D90 (whose low-light performance is, at best, sketchy), faster frame rate, better interface, better ergonomics, more expandability, etc, etc.</p>

<p>I would however see if I could get a second-hand D300s which, at that time (when the D400 is announced) will drop in price significantly. That would allow you to upgrade your 18-200 which is, let us face it, a lens lacking in so many levels...</p>

<p>Wow, lots to think about! I want another body so I dont have to swap lenses at weddings mostly. My D40 takes descent pictures but nothing close to my 90, doing weddings I think I should have better euipment. Also, I'm a women, I love to shop so yes maybe a little for the sake of updating to update :) But this is a competitive business and I want to give the best pictures I am capible of giving and can afford to give. I usually buy BHphoto but is there a good site for used?? photo.net? I've never bought used, a little scarey to me! Im probably going to wait on the D400 and see what it has to offer but I have a wedding in 2 weeks and would love to have another camera :) Thanks so much!! </p>

<p>If you need another camera quickly, I would get a D7000. It is about the same size as the D90 but is much better built and is heavier. The controls are similar. It can share SD memory cards with the D90 but uses the newer EN-EL15 battery. The D7000 has better low-light capability and can save images into two SD cards simultaneously, which is a pretty big plus for weddings. As a bonus, the D7000 captures decent HD video.</p>

<p>If you have money left over, I would upgrade your telephoto lens. The 18-200 is intended for casual photography. When you shoot weddings, you want something faster such as a constant f2.8 telephoto zoom. Moreover, you also want to upgrade your flash.</p>

<p>If you are planning to use your new camera at a wedding in two weeks, I would order it ASAP and spend a few days to get familiar with it and also make sure that it is not defective. Download its manual (in a PDF file) in advance to learn about it even before it arrives.</p>

<p>Lori - I've read and re-read your original post and I see no reason for you to upgrade your camera...it really seems like you should be upgrading lenses and maybe your flash. (I'm not familiar with the Sigma Flashes, so I don't know the full capabilities of your unit.)<br>

<br>

You already have a great mid-zoom in the 17-50mm f/2.8...how are your shots better with the 50mm f/1.4 (forgoing the obvious low light capabilities). If it's low light photography you're after, then lighting is the way to go. Learn lighting and how to use on-and off-camera flash and you'll see a vast improvement in your results.<br>

<br>

If you HAVE to upgrade now, I'll agree with Shun...get the D7000 and get it NOW if you are planning on using it at a wedding in a few weeks. RS</p>

<p>Lori the best site for used gear is keh.com. They are reliable, they have a large selection, their grading is very conservative, and they give a 60 day warranty. B&H is the next best followed closely by Adorama. It seems to me that the weak link in your arsenal is the D40. How about upgrading it to another D90. You can have a lens mounted on each and you already know all of its characteristics. You can get a refurbished one for $649 at B&H. When the D400 comes out you could probably sell the refurbished D90 for close to what you paid for it.</p>

<p>Another plug for keh.com, I've used them several times. The prices are higher than you may find locally but the 'guarantee' makes it as good as buying new to me. Pay attention to the details on what is included as some items have price savings but don't have key accessories you'd have to buy later - batteries, chargers, hoods and etc. </p>

<p>You mentioned B&H which also has a used gear shop kind of hidden within its site as well, less inventory than KEH but my father has had good luck with their used gear also. </p>

<p>Another used body to keep an eye out for if you are on a budget is the D300 (non-s), around here in the DC area they are going for around $800.</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for your help... Change of plans! I went to the church today that I am shooting a wedding in in a month. Pretty dark church, think I will be purchasing some lighting equipment and the camera might have to wait. Maybe I should check my lottery ticket and I can do both now :) I'll take all your suggestions on lighting too! I have alot to learn in a short period of time. Thank you all so much! I really appreciate all the time you put into helping all of us that need it!<br>

</p>