Rollei 35 problem

eric_s7

<p>Hello forum members, I need some advice from you on whether my German made Rollei 35 had been serviced improperly.When the camera returned from repairs I noticed that it worked in strange ways. I found that after releasing the shutter, the lens tube could still be rotated anti-clockwise (with the lens facing me) even if I do not pull the film winding lever. It cannot, however, be retracted, and winding still had to be done to get it retracted into the camera body. This was not the way that my Singapore made Rollei 35 (Tessar) behaved. On this unit it is not possible to both rotate and retract the lens tube if film winding is not done after pressing the shutter releasing button. Does anyone know whether the German Rollei 35 behaved differently from the Singapore one, or that it had indeed been serviced in an improper way? Thanks in advance for your input.</p>

<p>I had a Rollei S, Singapore made, that worked the way your serviced German Rollei does now. Never knew if that was normal but the camera worked fine otherwise. Looking in the back of the camera you can see what happens when you rotate the lens to retract it. There was nothing in my camera to prevent this rotation even with the camera not advanced but advancing the lever pulled a little piece out of the path of the lens tube and then you could push the tube in.</p>

<p>I have an original German made Rollei 35. I do not believe it's ever been serviced. It works just fine in all respects. To open I pull out the lens tube and turn clockwise until it clicks and locks (to insure infinity position). To collapse you must advance the film, press the lens lock release button to turn lens tube anticlockwise and subsequently collapse the assembly flush with the front of the camera. I just tried this moments ago, by the way the lens release lock will not engage, the lens tube will not turn at all until the film is advanced. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>I own two Rollei 35 cameras made in Germany. After releasing the shutter it is not possible to either turn the tube or push it in. Pushing the tube release makes no difference. Only after transporting the film and pushing the tube release it is possible to turn the tube and retract it into the body. This is how they should work. It is not uncommon for the tube lock to be damaged after force has been applied to the tube. At least one camera was repaired: the dented top cover was replaced. This is just a minor repair. </p>

<p>Ferdi.</p>

<p>Hi everyone, from your responses it seems that my unit had indeed been damaged by the repairman. He insisted that this behavior was normal, and I don't think it is possible to seek redress from him. It is my misfortune that this happened. Thanks again for your responses.</p>

<p>Eric, call Dave Feely at (303) 772 7690, he was a top Rollei repair technician for Rollei USA for many years and later for Marflex when it had the contract for all Rollei USA service. He is knowledgeable, he communicates well and he can repair just about anyting Rollei has made, as he inherited a vast array of Rollei parts when Marflex shut down. I have a large Rollei collection and he has refurbished all my cameras, not just the Rolleis.</p>