Fuji G617 Panorama Camera

rashed_s

<p>I request some of the experts in the field of panorama cameras to look at my panorama images which I have captured recently in different places in Sri Lanka during my photographic trip last May and June.<br>

It was my first time to deal with this size of camera, the focusing was too hard to clarify distant wise or scaling wise, that why I had to select F22 F stop and focus almost near the infinity, I used hand held meter to determine the exposing factors and because I only had 4 shots per film, I had to load films in the field which might have effected my films because of the long run of film between the feeding spool and the receiving one.<br>

I given all of the 42 Fuji 100ASA films to a local shop in Colombo to do the processing for me and many of the films showed scaling defects, I am still not sure if the was because of the processing or is it light got its way to the film during the field loading.<br>

I appreciate your help any means of improving my use of this camera.<br>

Thank you</p>

<p>Your images look just fine, at least viewed as small web files. Only you can tell (with a 10X loupe) if the images will hold up to being printed at a size that would do the subject matter justice. I find landscapes require fairly large prints to bring out the awe factor, and the larger the better. To me 12x36 inches is a bare minimum to really appreciate 617, which is only a 5.5x enlargement.</p>

<p>Exposures seem correct, as does focus. No noticeable distortion or sloping horizons, so you got the camera level... that's good. Focusing close to infinity worked for these images, as there was no foreground to speak of. I can't tell on screen if the boat is in sharp focus, but the lower corners of that image look suspect.</p>

<p>I would try focusing using the hyperfocal distance for the lens when the fore-ground contains important detail. And generally speaking, it is best to HAVE a fore-ground with important detail. Here's a link to a good depth of field calculator... <strong>http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html</strong>. I would use the 6x6 film size to be on the safe side. Assuming you shooting the 105mm lens at f22, this gives you a hyperfocal distance of 35.9 feet, which would render everything from 18 feet to infinity in acceptable focus.... OR if you focussed at say 15 feet, everything from 10.6 feet to 25.5 feet would be in acceptable sharp focus, with the background slowly blurring away.</p>

<p>Hi Rashed. I don't think f22 is a bad aperture to be using. Since there is so much area on your film, f16 and f22 are normal apertures to use, especially when shooting landscapes. F45 would be a little much, because that would be about the maximum you would want to use for 4x5 film, but with a good lens, f22 is just fine. I've shot at f22 with a good lens on a 12 megapixel 1.5 crop digital camera, and when pixel-peeping the photos on a big screen computer, the clarity looked good. You can think of your much larger format photos as medium format, for the purpose of selecting apertures.<br>

-<br>

As far as your composition is concerned, I suggest studying this work:<br>

-<br>

http://dmwaugh.zenfolio.com/p601405606/slideshow<br>

http://www.peterlik.com/photography/vertical<br>

http://dmcooperphotography.zenfolio.com/p239168379/slideshow<br>

-<br>

You might like this too: http://www.betterlight.com/panoWideView.html</p>

<p>Thank you very much my friend Paul, you been very clear and I did learn a lot out of your detailed input.<br>

Thank you my friend Scott, I checked all of the links and I found them all interesting, I know now what type of views such cameras can work good with, thank you my friend. </p>

<p>Hi!<br>

I have a GX 617, I regularly go up to f/45 if my depth of field needs it. The lens (I have a 90mm and a 180mm) stays real sharp.<br>

If you focus hyperfocally, and use the DOF scale for the f/ stop you use (like using f/32 and using the DOF scale of f/32) then infinity is slightly fuzzy on your slide. You have to use the DOF scale for f/22 if you shoot with f/32. Then infinity is tack sharp.<br>

I print some of my good shots to 7 foot, these prints are unlike anything you've ever seen.<br>

I get all my good results scanned on a good flatbed, and that these scans are printed to 18 inches long. My photolab charges 12 dollars for scan plus print. The flatbed is good enough for those prints, and it's fun to be able to show your prints. I very much advise it. People don't know how to look at slides through a loupe. For the seven foot prints I get an imacon scan.<br>

I also make lots of vertical panorama's.<br>

I use Velvia 100F at night, no reciprocity or color casts with long exposures.<br>

Try to use the panoramic camera on fireworks: use f/8 with 100 ASA film.<br>

I also got some fun results hand holding the camera. Did shots of a flock of flying pigeons that way.<br>

Enjoy!</p>

<p>Dirk. </p><div>00ZIbq-396517584.thumb.jpg.4e52f6ac69a8da501e8dff9b8e68875d.jpg</div>

Thank you my friend Dirk a lot, your contribution is very much appreciated.

I like your vertical format a lot, I have seen some images with my friend here in Qatar Bader, he

do vertical format with his hasselblad xpan which I also have one, I always wanted to do the

same but in Sri Lanka I did not a subject which fit this format, I also been very sick at the time,

the first 5 days in Kandy I could not leave the hotel because of the sever pain I had in my heart.

I noticed my friend most of my films having distortions like lines running through from top down

wards.

I thought it has some thing to do with the slide film processing but the lab in charge denied this.

Then I thought it is light getting through. possibly from the camera back or because I of me

loading the films in the fields, as you know the film loading run log way from one end to another.

The films I used are all Fuji Vilvia 50 AND 100ASA, I ordered them from b&h in the state and I put

them all in x-ray bags which also ordered from b&h, unless when the travelled from the state to

here they been scanned.

If you don’t mind my friend I will post one of the defected images for you to see,please.

Thank you again my friend and wishing you all of the best.