First Wedding?

k_michael

<p>This is going to be my first one. It's not taking place in a church or chapel But at a music venue club in NYC. I plan on using a Nikon D700. And will bring along an SB 900, 20mm f/2.8, a 28-70mm f/2.8, 70 - 200mm f/2.8 and a 50mm f/1.8. Will I be OK with this equipment? Ant recommendations on an other equipment I should use?</p>

<p>Probably not, since the D700 is capable of good high ISO response, and you will feel the want/need for f1.4/f1.8 lenses, meaning primes. If you are using flash all the way, then the f2.8 lenses will be fine.</p>

<p>If it were me, I'd be using off camera flash anyway. Would recommend it if you are comfortable with it.</p>

<p>You will need back up gear for every important piece you will be using. In this case, I'd be renting f1.4/f1.8 primes and using the zooms with flash as back up. You will need another camera body that you are comfortable with.</p>

<p>Depending on the lighting used during the ceremony - you may or may not be okay with the D700 - I've used it and f2.8 lenses for ceremony shots in various churches since I got it. </p>

<p>The key is going to be exposure - get it right, don't be afraid to go up to 3200 or even 6400 iso. Invest in a good noise reduction program / plug-in. Noiseware Pro is my personal favorite. </p>

<p>I'd second Nadine's comment about getting backup's of everything - body, lens, cards, battery, etc... </p>

<p>Plan on bouncing the SB 900 - or diffusing it somehow - don't just point it at the subjects and fire. </p>

<p>Dave</p>

<p>I use both cameras with different lenses. The second camera is not only the backup but used as equal as the main camera during the time of wedding. May be I use the main camera more often, but switch and use both cameras frequently, all the time.</p>

<p>What good would be your backup camera if you would not use it during wedding, and only used when main camera fails ? - or you discover later that in your camera memory card failed and there are no pictures ? - this would be already too late.</p>

<p>In fast paced wedding perhaps there is no time to setup multiple flashes. In this case, when ambient lighting level is too low, I use one flash (if allowed) on the camera with Stroboframe and SC29 flash extenstion cord. With most churches and D700 I find tripod use not necessary, but keep one in my car, just in case is too dark.</p>

<p>In clubs there should be enough SB900 flash power to bounce off the ceiling. Raise ISO to recycle faster. When ceilings/wall are very dark and colored, then I would use flash on the camera. Rotate the Flash on Stroboframe arm, so is always on the top of camera in vertical and horizontal camera position. Supplied dome diffuser helps take better pictures.</p>

<p>For outside pictures, even if there is no need for flash, you have excellent tools to use the flash for automatic fill-in or balanced lighting, You may need to practice flash fill/balanced lighting technique before the wedding.</p>

<p>For 800 ISO SB900/SB800 has enough power (subject of ISO used and aperture) to balance flash light up to 20 meters (66 ft) in iTTL/BL/FP mode (even though the CLS rmax range is only 10 m or 33 ft - is single flash there is no need for commanding). Use a bit less flash power compensation to avoid washed out pale faces.</p>

<p>I find SB900 too big and heavy for placement on the rorating arm of Stroboframe, and SB800 is smaller, with a bit of more power yield.</p>

<p>Have you been to the site? Have you tried to shoot in similar lighting conditions? If it's as dark as it sounds like it's going to be -- especially if the ceiling is painted black/dark, you will need something faster than f2.8 <em>and</em> you are going to burning up the batts on your flash. Also, you'll need some sort of diffuser because you may not be able to bounce effectively (though a site visit will tell you for certain) (so you can shoot directly & drag the shutter)...</p>

<p>good luck because you're going to need it!</p>