Low budget copying & landscape lenses for 5D Mk2

sunny_alan_alan

Scott, my suggestion that the K5 be considered was as an alternative to the 60D or the 7D, which another poster suggested as a

budget approach. I suggested the K5 not only because of It's ruggedness but IQ,as well. The K5 has superior noise performance,

color bit depth, as well as dynamic range, when compared to any of the Canon cropped bodies.

As for going with a FF sensor if at all possible, I couldn't agree more. I found my 5D2 lacking in some areas and for some of my

needs, which is why I moved to a Pentax 645D. It was a doable solution for me whereas the Mamiya, Hasselblad, Leaf options were

not.

<p>A good way to think about the effect of MP increases (isolated from other issues) of sensors is to look at the sensor dimensions. Pick some resolution value for printing - just to pick a number, lets use 200 - and figure out how large the print would be for each.</p>

<ul>

<li>5D2: 5616 x 3744 - at resolution 200 the long dimension of a print would be about 28 inches</li>

<li>5D: 4368 x 2912 - at resolution 200 would be about 22 inches</li>

<li>7D: 5184 x 3456- at resolution 200 would be about 26 inches</li>

</ul>

<p>In most cases, you will be surprised at how small the difference will be when you compare print size at the same resolution - even between cameras as different as a 12 MP and a 21 MP camera. The difference between, say, 18 MP and 21 MP or between 21MP and 24 MP is truly trivial. This is even more true if you are not printing at the upper limits of print size.</p>

<p>Dan</p>

<p>(A couple of important points. This comparison is very limited and most certainly doesn't tell the whole story - there are other significant differences between cameras and between format beside the MP count. Second, disregarding all of those other issue and thinking only about MP comparisons between cameras of the same format, my general rule of thumb is that a doubling of MP is almost always significant to those whose work is large enough to be affected by this and that smaller increases in MP count are much more rarely significant. Going from 12 MP to 21 MP could well be significant for those pushing the print size boundaries. Going from 21 MP to 24 MP almost certainly would not be.)</p>

<p>As an alternative, you could look at how much the resolution value changes at your likely print sizes. For example, at 20 inches wide</p>

<ul>

<li>5D2: 5616 x 3744 - resolution would be 5616</li>

<li>5D: 4368 x 2912 - resolution would be 218.4</li>

<li>7D: 5184 x 3456- resolution would be 259.2</li>

</ul>

<p>Dan</p>