Correct Film Insert for 1000s Camera

jerry_plemons1

<p>I would like to purchae an additional film insert for my Mamiya 645 1000s medium format

camera. I noticed that a number of Mamiya 645 120 and 220 are available on the well-known auction

site. Is there any way to tell which insert can be used with the 1000s? For example. one of the

offerings on the auction site listed this item, Would it fit work in the 1000s?<br>

<strong>Mamiya 645

MF 120 Film Insert Medium Format 184723</strong></p>

<p>Thanks, Jerry<

<p>If it's marked either "120" or "220" on the place you hold/squeeze when inserting it, it will fit your M645 1000s or any other manual focus M645.<br>

If it's marked "645" on that place, and has electronic contacts at the side, it's a dual 120-220 insert which will only work with with 645AF(D) line.</p>

<p>Depending on what you shoot, (type film and subjects). A 220 insert may be of little use to you. As of now ,there are a little over a half dozen great color negative emulsions available in 220. But sadly no B&W or reversal (slide) films are made in this roll size. A side note: if you want to buy a few inserts. Purchase some of the little plastic carry cases too. These allow pre-loaded inserts to be safely carried, and will greatly speed up reloading on the go.</p>

<p>As already said, all the inserts for the Mamiya 645 series cameras will fit into and work with a 1000s, apart I think from the 35mm insert which needs a format mask. The later inserts made for the Super and Pro/ProTL cameras have plastic side-plates and are a bit lighter in weight than the original all metal inserts for the 1000s, but they can all be used interchangeably.</p>

<p>Things to look out for in used inserts: Make sure the pressure roller spring is still in good shape, because for some reason the chrome leaf spring tends to get bent back and no longer applies sufficient pressure to the film. This can usually be sorted by simply bending it forward again, unless it's been badly distorted and has a permanent kink. Another thing is the condition of the film metering roller (the little rubber tyred wheel on a spindle). Check the rubber isn't shiny, cracked or split, and that the toothed cog on the other end of the roller is in good condition and its teeth aren't worn. Also make sure the insert fits squarely into the camera. If one of the all metal inserts is dropped it can distort and not clip properly into the camera.</p>

<p>Don't let the above put you off buying second-hand inserts. The faults and damage described aren't common, but they are things to watch out for.</p>

<p>The black "keeper" boxes for the inserts are nice to have but not essential and unfortunately faults with them are fairly common. Most of the ones I've seen offered for sale these days are in poor condition. One of the little closure clips is often broken, the lid is split, a chunk of light-trap is missing or the foam pads inside have turned to sticky mush.</p>