Seeking advice on portraits in Santa Fe

hal_kahn1

<p>Hello, I just joined and am interested in advice on learning portrait photography, specifically online courses. I have been shooting for two years and would like to get better. I am disabled and attending classes in the community is difficult at best. I would be interested in suggestions on finding online or DVD classes for lighting and Photoshop Elements. I would especially be interested in guides to sites that exhibit portraits.</p>

<p>I was a newspaper reporter and editor for 25 years before being disabled in 1997. <br>

I started doing macro images of flowers a few years ago and more recently turned to people. I am trying to put together a book on Faces of the Elderly. I am having a hard time getting variety into this series, i.e., something other than having the subject sit on a stool in front of a backdrop. Visiting their homes is very hard because of my walking limitations.</p>

<p>I use a tungsten-power softbox with a constant light. I would be interested in suggestions for easy-to-use off-camera flashes.</p>

<p>Whoa, that is a lot. Too much, I fear. But I am happy that I have discovered this Web site and look forward to learning more.</p>

<p>Hal, there is a series that I have greatly enjoyed, the DVDs from Photovision. Initially they are expensive but if you keep an eye on their site and watch, they do run specials. In the past I have got the previous years complete DVD set for as little as about $40. I have subscribed for three or four years and always look forward to receiving the DVD. Once you get started the renewal subscriptions are considerably less. Google or Bing Photovision 2011.</p>