Nikon F75 flash compensation

Ian Rance

<p>I picked up an F75 for free and have been getting some very good results and the metering is first rate. I sadly don't have the manual but usually studying the camera for a while yeilds the answer - but not in this instance.</p>

<p>Is there a way to reduce the ratio of the in-built flash to ambiant exposure? I was doing some portraits and wanted -1/2 stop, but could not see any button or mode that offered this. Is it there but well hidden?</p>

<p>Thank you for any help</p>

<p>I bought an N75 a couple years ago and one of the first things I looked for was flash compensation. Of course it can be done with an external flash, but that defeats the purpose of carrying such a small, light camera.</p>

<p>I realize that the N75 is intended to be a "point & shoot" SLR but it's a feature that would have been nice. </p>

<p>With the camera in aperture priority (A), and with the built-in flash popped up, the camera is always at 1/90 (you'll have to cancel rear/slow). There's an exposure meter scale in the viewfinder to help set the aperture for correct ambient exposure at 1/90. Once the correct aperture for ambient is set, then if you adjust exposure compensation now, the flash exposure changes (along with the exposure compensation dialed in) but not the aperture itself and the 1/90 speed..<br /><br />It's limited to 1/90 only, and one has to stick to the aperture that goes with 1/90 for ambient, but it does allow a fill flash different from 1:1..</p>