28 f2.8 AI wasn't supposed to be this good . . .

doug_nelson3

<p>I have always liked the 28 focal length and lenses with distance scales and am looking for a good one for my Canon 5DM2. My admittedly unscientific check of resolution at distance with a 28 f2 AI vs a 28 f 2.8 AI had an unexpected result. I shot my neighborhood from a high hill at f8 and looked at detail. Rather than bemoan the apparently bad sample of the f2 (can't focus at infinity?), I am astounded at the performance of the unheralded f 2.8 AI. Even at the edges, the little guy shines, only showing some fuzziness at the extreme corners. As I don't have the time or the money to chase better samples of the f2 or the f 2.8 AIS, I think I will stick with this AI. Chasing down the newer Leica f 2.8 or a new Contax 28 f2 would probably be an exercise in diminishing returns, like Canon's L's. I won't be trying to push this particular 28 f2 off on my friends here at P.net.</p>

<p>My results are so inconsistent with what I've read that I am inclined to take another look at it. Different adapters were used, the cheaper Fotodiox on the f 2.8 and a Leitax noted for precision on the f2. Will recheck using the same adapter on the f2. The f2 is a bit of a beater, but nothing that would look like it was dropped. Will take vonW's advice when I can put up some 100% crops. Thanks to all for your feedback.</p>

<p>I can echo Vilk's response and say that I was more than disappointed with an Ai-S 28mm f/2.8 and delighted with the f/2 version. However, having recently bought a 28mm f/3.5 P-C Nikkor, I think that it even beats the f/2 for all-round sharpness when unshifted. Obviously it doesn't cut it for convenience or for low-light work though!</p>

<p>Nikon built their reputation on optics.... I have 2 different 28mm F/2 AIS Lenses. It's one of my favorites. One of the first wides to have Close Correction lens element. It gets VERY interesting wide open and Up Close. My first copy is a beater too with deep scratches in the front element. Can't say it has ever really showed up in normal shooting.</p>