ViewNX2

jerry_curtis

<p>Jerry, you don't need it to work with RAW, but there are advantages, and many folk believe that Nikon's software gives the best rendition of NEF files.</p>

<p>I like that I can easily reproduce/change many camera settings in post production.</p>

<p>ViewNX2 will display the NEF with all your camera settings carried across. For example: if you take a picture in "Standard" picture control; ViewNX2 will apply the "standard" settings to the image it displays on your monitor. If you then decide you should have used "Vivid", or you want to turn it off altogether it only takes a couple of clicks. Same with white balance etc.</p>

<p>Also, you can try out various picture control settings in ViewNX2 and then duplicate the one you want in the camera. This helps me to get the effect I want straight out of the camera when shooting jpegs (where the settings can't be altered as easily). </p>

<p> Hope this helps.</p>

<p>Chris</p>

<p>Nikon's software will apply the in-camera settings when rendering RAW files. Some people see this as an advantage. To me, it's a Rube Goldberg deal, since one could get the same result by shooting in jpg. YMMV. I've tried Nikon's software, but I generally use Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop, and sometimes DxO. I think they all have free trials so you can evaluate them for yourself ans see what you like best.</p>

<p>I use all three, I find that importing into Lightroom and grading my photos is a lot easier than trying to use Capture NX2 or View NX2. I use photoshop for more complex edits, layers, special effects but find if there is a shot I really like and want to print I tend to use Capture NX2. Its basic and a requires a high spec PC but just loves the way it handles files.<br>

So basically there is no right and wrong answer here, just install it and try it. But I would say I always shot raw as its easy to process the raw files and get a jpeg but you can't turn a jpg into a full blown raw.</p>

<p>Just for the record, using ViewNX is nothing like shooting JPEG. Yes, until you change anything within the program, the image initially opens up using the same picture control settings as you used in the camera, but that's just a convenience... and the raw is not baked in any way. It's all changeable, and as I said, beyond the usual sliders, there is a lot more capability in the included picture control utility. There, you can easily create your own custom picture controls which can be re-used in future images.</p>

<p>Rather than being a throw-away freebie, I think it's a very capable, very useful program.</p>

<p>Adobe Camera Raw is much more versatile, and also applies most of the camera settings by default. If you incorporate PS into your workflow as a matter of course, then it makes much more sense to use ACR as your RAW processor, rather than chopping and changing between programs.</p>

<p>OTOH Nikon's Capture NX2 is another matter entirely.</p>

<p>Jerry...I use Capture NX2 for editing 95% of my files including scans of 35mm and 120 film. Every image I print is printed from NX2. Downside of NX2 it requires a lot of Computer to run it (I consider 4GIG RAM a minimum number). I also use Adobe Photoshop (for some of the color enhancing tools, clone tool, distortion filter and for the border tools) and I use Picassa as a general easy editing and review tool. But Capture NX2 has some unique tools that work well for me. The sharpening, cropping, highlight tool, shadow tool, selective area tools in NX2 are easy to use and for me give the best results, not to forget the NEF files become life-like in NX2.</p>

<p>Ray made a good suggestion.</p>

<p>One reason for the endless discussions if Nikon software or PS and Adobe Camera Raw (or other brands) produce the "best" results are due to the fact that different people get a better grip at one or the other software. There is a lot to learn before you get to the limit of the particular software. At first the operator is the limit :-)</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"...be sure NOT to have Active D-Lightning ON when shooting, otherwise the NEF files will not open properly in those softwares."</p>

</blockquote>

<p>What is the meaning of not properly? Are you referring to in camera settings not being applied? ACR does not apply <strong>any </strong>in camera settings to NEF files including sharpening etc.</p>

<p>Walter,<br /> I am not talking about applying any in camera settings. I you take pictures with ADL on (NEF-Raw Files), then you will notice that if you will open them in Lightroom or CS5 they look "pale" with no vivid colors, contrast and soft. If you open them with ViewNX2 it's fine. That doesn't happen when you shot NEF with ADL off. Then you can open them normally in LR and PS. Cheers!</p>

<p>Panayotis that's interesting information. I wonder if that is the case for all cameras using NEF files or just this model or a few models.<br /> I never used ADL (with the exception of a quick test when it first was available). So I could not say.<br /> Perhaps one can create a camera profile with "ADL on" for Adobe Camera Raw and apply this during import of NEF files. That should compensate. I made a set of camera profiles for a few typical light situations like bright sunshine at noon or heavy rain etc. or for lenses with particular color casts.<br /> Of course the preparation and use of color profiles is an effort that not everybody needs or wants to go through.</p>

<p>Hi Walter again,<br>

I can not say about another models since I upgraded from D80 to D7000 and D80 was not supporting Active D Lighting (ADL). The ADL information is put into the NEF as metadata, and you need to use NX2 or Capture NX to be able to apply the ADL adjustment afterwards.<br>

If you use a non-Nikon RAW converter like Photoshop or Lightroom, it won't know about ADL adjustments/parameters used, and that's why it can't open the NEF-RAW files properly as I mentioned earlier. This is the reason for getting the "pale" with no vivid colors, contrast and a bit underexposed results in the non Nikon RAW converters.<br>

From the tests I am doing currently I can say that it seems to work best in bright sunshine, contrast situations, in general during daytime, and it's better to have it Off during late afternoon or night. Sometimes it gets tricky and underexpose so I would say that if you don't get familiar with it in the first place, it's better not to use it. Take care!</p>