1Ds Mark II (used) vs. 7D

j_hickton

I worked as a newspaper photographer for about six years until about seven years ago. I used Canon film bodies about six or seven of them and a variety of lenses. The one consistent lens is a 70-200 2.8L that I bought in 1997 and that I still own and use. It still does a great job with sports. I did the job with all of those bodies shooting general news and a lot of sports. My editor never complained about my work and never asked what body I was using. Newspaper picture quaility is not that critical IMO. My advice is that the best camera for the job is the one you own. IMO changing cameras does not make one a better photographer. It may help with capability like low light performance but it never made me a better photographer. If the equipment does the required job it is good enough in my opinion. I always have tried to do as my editor required in sports; that was get a local face and get the ball in the picture. Added to that I worked hard to get agonized expressions on my subjects and to shoot tightly and to make politicians look ugly and venal. Image quality in papers is better today with digital and one, I think, should have a minimum level of gear to achieve the assignment. I don't think it makes a bit of difference whether you have a 7D or 1 series it is what you do with it that counts.

Just to caveat what I said having had water damage to cameras, if you do lots of outdoor stuff like shooting soccer in a rainstorm weather sealing both lens and body may be important. As I said, I think one needs to use equjipment adequate to the job at hand. You could also use a garbage bag as well. I always carried one in my bag. Still do. Not owning a 7D I don't know how effective weather sealing is on it.

<p>1ds2 is an old camera. It was great in its day. But today, I'd rather get a 5d2 for FF work. You will miss the large LCD screen of the 7d. Speed is also something you will miss. In terms of sealing, according to Canon the 7d has similar seals as the EOS 1N. I don't know, do you take pix in war torn Sierra Leone? Or visit the frozen Antarctica to capture penguin mating?<br /> Any 1ds2 on the ads will be heavily used. I really doubt the IQ advantage off set the other benefits that you will likely lose from the 7d (fps, lcd, sensor cleaning, MA, flash control, advanced AF, full HDSLR, customization etc...). 5d2 or the 1dsIII is great.<br /> If you just want FF capabilities, look to the 5d. IQ should be just as good as the 1dsII.</p>

<p>A lot of people seem to be recommending the 7D over the 1Ds II. I personally chose to go with the 1Ds II for a couple of reasons.<br>

#1. FF for the FoV for my 17-40, 50, and 100mm lenses<br>

#2. Weather sealing so I don't worry about going to grab plastic bags in the rain.<br>

I would say they are two very specific cameras for two different purposes. I didnt go with a 5D II because I was able to pick up a used 1Ds II for < $1400 where as even a used 5D II is considerably more than that.</p>