I just got the 5D and need a macro lens, I was in love with my 60mm for my Rebel what should I get for the 5D?

sarah_crank

<p>I would recommend the Sigma 70mm f2.8. Exceptionally sharp with nice color rendition. The screw-driven AF is a little on the slow side, but I manually focus closeups anyway. Plus the M/AF switch at the base of the lens is quite ergonomic.<br>

It also works on cropped sensor bodies too.</p>

<p>ME</p>

<p>If you liked the field of view with the 60mm on the Rebel, you will need roughly 100mm to duplicate it on the 5D. The Canon non-L and L 100mm macros are quite similar in optical quality, from all the reviews. I have the L because I find the IS useful, but it is a costly addition. Just as 60mm is short (but usable) on a Rebel for bugs, 100mm might be short for bugs on a 5D. I use a 100mm for bugs on a 50D (same FOV as your rebel) but usually use 60mm for flowers.</p>

<p>I disagree with the comment that AF is unimportant. I think that overstates things a bit. There is a lot of macro work for which AF is completely irrelevant, but there is some for which it is useful, and in addition, a 100mm macro lens can be used for non-macro uses as well. I find USM with full time manual focusing valuable for macro work in reasonably bright light. I put AF on the back button so that the shutter button will not trigger it. Then I can leave AF turned on, use AF to get approximate focus if I want to, and use manual to fine tune if that is off.</p>

<p>Dan is right about the autofocus but for macro IMHO it is no show stopper. Besides that, most 3rd party manufactureres offer autofocus as well. In the end it depends on the other options/lenses you may have already.<br>

Michael: Canon does not have screw driven AF. Focussing may be a tad slower than with Canon's USM but I doubt the difference will be important for portraits, etc. For sports, that's a different issue.</p>

<p>If you like the angle of view of the excellent EF-S 60/2.8 macro on 1.6-factor, then you should, as other posters have suggested, be looking for a macro in the 90mm to 105mm range for FF use. I had the EF 100/2.8USM for many years, and when the L IS version came out I upgraded to it. The two lenses have slightly different profiles of strengths and weaknesses optically, but that is to quibble about minor differences that are in any case largely ironed out by the aberration correction capabilities in DPP; both lenses are outstanding optically.</p>

<p>In terms of handling, there are some real differences, with the L version being clearly superior (as it should be for the price!). The IS makes it a much more useful general purpose lens, but it is also specially designed with linear movement compensation as well as angular movement compensation, and if you need to do hand-held close-up work this makes a significant difference. On the other hand, if you are working from a tripod, the Tripod Ring D (handcuff type) for the L lens is better in all respects than the Tripod Ring B (puzzle type, cannot be fitted/removed with the lens mounted) with its plastic spacer, as used by the non-L lens. If you are doing work on a tripod under possibly awkward field conditions, as I do in botanical work, this is a real benefit of the new lens.</p>

<p>There are some differences over flash/filter arrangements. Neither of these lenses is as convenient in this respect as the 60/2.8, which takes a 52mm filter quite independently of the use of a macro flash (MR-14EX or MT-24EX) mounted on the rim built into the lens. The non-L 100mm lens takes a 58mm filter and has the flash rim, but you can't fit both a filter and a flash without a workround, which is to fit the filter first and then a Macrolite Adapter 58 to provide the flash rim. Unfortunately you cannot securely fit a lens cap to the Macrolite Adapter 58. The L lens takes a 67mm filter and has no flash rim built in, so you have to use a Macrolite Adapter 67 to provide the flash rim if you need it. You can put a 67mm filter between the lens and the Macrolite Adapter 67 without the setup producing any vignetting (even on FF), and the Macrolite Adapter 67 has a front 58mm female thread allowing a 58mm lens cap to fit securely. </p>

<p>Go for the Canon 100mm f2.8 USM, with or without IS, as your budget allows. The Tammy and Sigma macros extend on focusing, while the Canons are internal focus designs. This is a major advantage when shooting small critters or when the lens might shade its own light. I find the USM quite helpful my other main use for my 100mm macro: it's the best portrait lens I own. Focus is swift and dead on with my 5D. Background blur is beautiful. </p>