Best choice for a 3rd smaller camera?

<p>I'm not sure that this is the best place to ask this question. But finding no other better site, here goes.</p>

<p>I currently have a Canon DSLR and 3 lenses covering most any situation that I require. I also have a Canon SX20IS for when I want to grab and go; having a camera capable of most any unknown (but well lit) situations. But now I'm looking for a 3rd camera, and have whittled down the choice to one of the Canon G-series cameras OR a m4/3rds camera system. This 3rd camera needs to be littler than either of my others, though not necessarily small enough for shirt pockets. In fact, a bit larger would be better(like the G-series sizes). The MFT camera(like the E-P1, etc) would also work with either one of those pancake lenses or even a small zoom lens.<br>

Do you see the value of one over the other for candid purposes and for situations where the size of a DSLR and even the SX20(almost DSLR sized) might be inappropriate?<br>

Comments please. Thanks</p>

<p>So, for candid purposes you're going to have a G12 and a 430 EX II on top? </p>

<p>[[i'd like a bit longer zoom]]</p>

<p>[[The MFT camera(like the E-P1, etc) would also work with either one of those pancake lenses]]</p>

<p>Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Rob,<br>

NO. The hot shoe option is for "just in case", but not as a rule. The PEN with pancake covers the size issue rather well, but doesn't do much for any zoom range. In fact VERY limiting in that regard.</p>

<p>So right now, the G-series is winning the "decision" contest. The size of the G-series is totally fine with me. </p>

<p>Yeah, I don't think the hot shoe <em>requirement</em> makes sense for this sort of a second/third camera. The G12 hot shoe makes sense for those who use the G12 as their only (or at least largest) camera. In your case, if you're going to bring a speedlight, bring the DSLR. (But a hot shoe isn't an anti-feature, of course.)<br /><br />You hinted that the SX20IS was capable only in well lit situations, so I assume you'd like to address that. The G12 will be better, but a 1/1.7" sensor is still no low-light performer. Hence m4/3. But m4/3 isn't really very small, is it, unless you put a pancake lens on it.<br /><br />I don't think the camera you want exists. <br /><br />And you're not alone. I know a couple of people with Canon G[n]s that would love a larger sensor, but insist on a smaller camera than what m4/3 has achieved.</p>

<p>Dan,<br>

Well, as compared to the DSLR, and SX20, I think something like the E-Ps even with a 14-42 kit lens, are smaller. Pop open the lens and it is a little longer, but still not as large as even the SX20, but getting there. And...maybe you guys are right about any sort of importance of the hotshoe for a "smaller" camera. I think I'll forget about that as a requirement. <br>

Too bad the pancake lens wasn't a zoom of sorts. But...nothing's perfect. <br>

Maybe I should be giving some thought to the S95. BUT....I really do like those exterior controls on those G-series cameras(and the Pens, too). </p>

<p>If you're happy with the size of the G12 you should definitely go G12 over the S95. The G12 has more convenient controls, more zoom range, and is easier to hold. The only S95 advantage is that it is smaller and thus easier to carry in pockets and bags and such. The G12 may have better battery life, too; it could hardly be worse. (My comments are really based on the S90 and not the S95, but I think they still apply.)</p>

<p>The rumor mill has a Nikon 2.7x crop sensor in the works. May just be vapor, of course, but you could wait and see if anything interesting is announced by Photokina's end.</p>

<p>And you don't have to get anything if you can't find what you want.</p>

<p>Robert, I recently bought a Canon G12 as a smaller alternative to my 5D. I thought about the S95 and by all accounts it is a very good camera, but decided on the G12 becasuse : optical v/f, swivelly back, longer zoom, Canon dslr-type controls. I have been surprised by how good the results have been even in low light - thanks to the excellent and relatively fast lens.<br />My only query would be whether you would in fact use the G12 given you already have the SX20 IS. There is a size difference but the S95 will go in a shirt pocket while the G12 will only go in if you are not bothered about stressed seams and unsightly bulges. I think the size difference you want may only be found with the S95 or similar. But its your pocket.</p>

<p>If you don't like me pointing out to everyone how answering your questions is a complete waste of time and energy, then perhaps you should follow your own advice and ignore me?</p>

<p>Anyone looking at your posting history or your classifieds history will realize that your question here is pointless. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'll second that one Rob.He keeps asking the same questions over and over.Robert,didn't you already have the Canon G10?You should be able or capable of answering your own questions.Why do you need to have everybodies approval of the gear you want.</p>

<p> Realy,check his posting history.You'd be amazed at the repeat questions he's asking.</p>

<p>OP: Are you the "BobT" from the m4/3 forum on dpreview?</p>

<p>There is no perfect camera. If you want smallness, you need to pay a price for image quality, handling, and lack of good option of "range." You already tried an EP-L1 and now own an EP-1. You gave up one and got the others for I thought to be trivial reasons — neither camera is perfect but they will work for you if you learn how to work AROUND their shortcomings. For candid purposes, the most used focal length is 28-40mm (in full frame terms). Paring your m4/3 camera with either a 14/2.5, 17/2.8, or 20/1.7 is a superb package for that purpose.</p>

<p> </p>