Freelance photographer/portrait business.... HELP?

kate_husa

<p>So I've been in the commercial photography business for 10 years. I recently left a studio I was working at for 6 years on salary. I'm searching for work as a freelance photographer at several commercial studios, in addition I'm starting to do portraits to supplement my loss of salary at the moment. So... now what? Before I get myself into a hard situations, I feel flustered!<br>

I would bill freelance photography and portrait photography thru the same business, so should I file as a sole proprietor or an LLC.<br>

I also have collected images I've shot over the years for my website. A lot of them were friends, family but people I don't talk to anymore. Should I track these people down and get model releases? </p>

<p>What else am I forget? What are some other things I need to do before I get myself in trouble by starting this business?</p>

<p>Thanks for any advice<br>

KHP<br>

Wisconsin</p>

<p>Start with a visit to a CPA. It shouldn't cost any more than one of your portrait client's visit to you. The CPA isn't going to be the one to ask about model releases, but that's a good place to start on issues like whether or not to incorporate, or how.<br /><br />If you're stomping around people's houses and events shooting portraits, there's a lot to be said for limiting your personal liability in case you knock over a potted plant, which spooks their Great Dane, who runs into the Steinway, which shoves into the priceless 18th century grandfather clock. To say nothing of some kid tripping on a light stand and then getting clunked in the face with your hairlight boom arm counterweight, and wrecking his $4000 orthodontic masterpiece.<br /><br />Yes, if you're going to use other people's likenesses to promote your business, it's a good idea to seek out releases. Of course, I'm a caveman, not a lawyer, so you might want to talk to one of them, too, which is a lot smarter than getting legal advice on a photography forum!</p>

<p>You can get free publications from the IRS on small business record keeping. The IRS web site has a number of little booklets on taxes: a small business can be started with your Social Security # -- and if you become a multi-studio operation in time, you can go the LLC route.</p>

<p>After your first year, you can look forward to being a quarterly contributor to the IRS: nice folks they are, they want to hold your estimated income tax, your self-employment tax, and your Social Security tax amounts -- so at the end of the tax year, you have a little nest egg built up to tinker with at Federal tax filing time.</p>

<p>The Federal Small Business Administration also has a web-site and a few booklets on starting out in the business world. Again, free information.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>As Matt mentioned, consulting a CPA is a good idea for starter. Then, although you may not need it as a Sole Propriator, it is a wise idea to have EIN (Employer Identification Number); in case a client asks for it. As far as I know (I am a caveman too!) It won't add any burden. Make a trip to your local library and borrow a couple of books on small business start up. Startup will feel daunting at the beginning (first 6-12 months) but becomes rewarding after that. <br>

Good luck (you need that too!)<br>

Hadi</p>

<p> </p>