Canon Thursday Photo 2011: #33

nathangardner

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Hi folks. Another week of fine photo contributions to the Canon Thursday thread. Here's my take on some of the more notable (good and bad) photos from this week.</p>

<p>@ Nathan - I like the shot; technically good, but the colors look very flat. These little guys are typically so irridescent green.<br>

@ Jeff Spirer - Harsh lighting, but then I suspect you intended that given the subject matter.<br>

@ Lupo - If Food Magazine isn't calling, they should. I'm going to print this photo and eat it.<br>

@ Vladimir Wegner - Nice macro of the thistle. Lighting is good.<br>

@ Mike Dixon - I like the composition with the steeple framed under the bridge.<br>

@ Dean Schreuder - Good lighting. Like the model's pose.<br>

@ Tony Leinster - Nice eagle shot. How would this look with a little less space above the eagle's head?<br>

@ robert colameco - Unique pose. Good reflection.<br>

@ Lee Derrickson - I like this time of day. Sky colors can be quite magical.<br>

@ Louis Meluso - Love the backlit "weeds". </p>

<p> </p>

<p>@ Bill K - Nice capture! Feather (?) drifting down is a bit of distraction.<br>

@ William Kahn - Not a bad shot at all. Good exposure.<br>

@ David Cavan - Easy pickin's. Needs a bit more contrast since you are shooting through glass.<br>

@ Rob Bernhard - I like the colors in this shot. I might have moved the fly (via cropping) to a point closer to one of the rule of thirds points (bottom left maybe?).<br>

@ Jeff Backer - Nice composition. Terrific sky! Exposure is very well done.<br>

@ Laura Weishaupt - you are increasing my fungus vocabulary. Good lighting. Almost looks like a cavern with stalactites and stalagmites.<br>

@ Yianni Papadopoulos - Great triptych. Lighting is perfect. Your "first foray" is quite well done!<br>

@ Pete Ferling - I end up with really weird (for me) photos when I get bored. I can't begin to tell you how many photos I have of a favorite light stand. I like the lighting in this shot.<br>

@ Shawn Shawhan - Great stop action. Really conveys the sense of motion.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>@ Marcel Romviel - Nice DOF for the rose. Even though I normally dislike square crops, this one works well.<br>

@ Rick Janes - Rick, I like this one, but the horizon splitting the photo dead center puts me off a bit.<br>

@ Adrian K - That's the nice thing about going back to a location; I always see something I had not seen the first time around. <br>

@ Randy Cooprider - Randy, you caught some nice expressions on the faces of the three that are visible. The cut off fourth person is distracting. A great way to get better shots is to keep practicing and browse the galleries here. Look at photos you like from other photographers and analyze them to discover why you like them. Keep shooting!<br>

@ Gene Spearman - Flash is a little harsh. A diffuser would help soften the light.<br>

@ Nimesh Patel - no such thing as being too late as long as you get the photo in before the next Canon Thursday starts. I'm not sure this chap wanted his photo taken. Looks a bit controntational.<br>

@ Mark Keefer - I looked at the larger shot in your portfolio. Amazing detail in the larger version. Lighting is very good.<br>

@ Alicia Miller - Awwww...<br>

@ Phil Richardson - Expressions of riders are such a contrast with the backdrop. Love it!<br>

@ Randall Farhy - Perfect timing. I like the post work on this one. Great composition.<br>

@ Philip Wilson - Okay, you are officially the "Iron Man". 1/20 sec? Really? How did you get rid of the blue around the perimeter?<br>

@ Tuan Hoang - I love the colors in this shot. I would have preferred to see just a bit more DOF, but that's a minor nitpick. Very nice.<br>

@ Juan Hernandez - Welcome to Canon Thursday. The 7D and 100 mm macro can produce some stunning results.<br>

@ phil Marion - I think I woud like this better without the dark horizon at the top. </p>

<p>Okay, that's it for this week. And thank you all for the nice comments you have steered my way. </p>

<p> </p>

<p><strong>GE Building seen from Rockefeller Plaza</strong></p>

<p>Canon 5D MkII, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS at 24mm, ISO 100, f/4 and 1/800 (it was gusty and the flags were flapping vigorously):</p>

<p><a title="Rockefeller Center (GE Building, actually these days) by dcstep, on Flickr" href=" Rockefeller Center (GE Building, actually these days) src="http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6071351889_4a1e775313_z.jpg" alt="Rockefeller Center (GE Building, actually these days)" width="427" height="640" /></a></p>