Manual Focus lenses on F4s

mtk

<p>Considering adding an F4s to my collection. Currently shoot with an F3 and an F100. I have been told that it is a great camera to use my manual focus Nikkor lenses on. I have never shot with one of these.....How is it to manual focus with this body?<br>

Thanks!<br>

Mark</p>

<p>Manual focus works brilliantly on the F4. Compared to most digital SLRs, peering through the viewfinder is like looking at a movie screen!</p>

<p>I've heard many people express the opinion that the F4 was Nikon's finest manual-focus camera ever--even with autofocus lenses, I quite often use manual focus as there is but a single autofocus point, and focusing manually is so easy.</p>

<p>The F4 is a joy to use MF lenses on. The viewfinder is big and bright and the ground glass has much better contrast than any digital SLR. There's also a focus confirmation light. I used the microprism/split-image K screen, which I preferred even when using autofocus.</p>

<p>As the others have mentioned, this camera is a joy to use with manual focus. I use the K screen also (split rangefinder) and whether I use the focus confirmation light or the split image it is far easier to use than D200 and no less easy than D700.....and if you don't like whatever screen is in it you can change it rather quickly. I was lucky enough to find an NOS in box MB-20 several years ago and that is how my F4 is outfitted. The camera is outstanding with manual focus and the latest autofocus "G" lenses.</p>

<p>The F4 works quite well with MF lenses. It has the " >0< " style focus confirmation lights, if you're not sure. It can also take a lot of different focus screens. I put in the grid screen, to make sure my horizons were level. I wasn't a fan of the split screen style, because you have to find something to put the split on, to check.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Mark, I'd consider carefully whether you really <em>need</em> that F4s. IMHO the F4 is a doorstop. Big, heavy, reliant on batteries, not particularly robust (plastic top-plate) and not offering all that much more than the F3 apart from autofocus - and if you ain't gonna use autofocus.....</p>

<p>I'm not sure why people are listing all the screens it'll take. The F3 offers all those screens, and so does the F2 for that matter. Also the screen brightness and size comparison to DSLRs only holds true for the dimly-lit world of DX cameras, and not Full-frame. I suppose if you want to use "gelded" modern lenses then the F4 is one option, but it's a very overblown one. </p>

<p>@Rodeo Joe....I most definitely DON'T need a F4s. LOL!... I shoot with a D90 and film as well. I simply am intruiged by the camera as I have a small collection of vintage Nikons. I was thinking of the matrix metering provided by the F4 vs the metering on my older stuff. If I want auto focus the F100 is more than capable in that department. I have a collection of pre ai lenses that work well on the F3 as well as my FE and FM.</p>

<p>I'll ad a postcript to my thoughts........<br>

I have a F3, F4, F5, FA, and a D-700. I only shoot the D-700 these days out of my still not being over the death of Kodachrome.<br>

Now this may label me as a nut, but I enjoy holding and "dry firing" my cameras (not the D-700). Nothing, and I mean nothing feels and looks as good as my F4s. I still can't believe a Company as conservative as Nikon could create such a beautiful camera. It's a masterpiece.<br>

And yes, it kicks butt with manual lenses. </p>

Have to take issue with Rodeo Joe's assertion that the F4 offers little more than AF compared to the F3. A vastly

superior VF display (try reading the sparse F3 display in dim light), matrix and spot metering, focus confirmation with

MF lenses. Is the F4 perfect? Nope. The plastic top and finder shells are a disappointment, the handgrip is too "fat"

and the RHS strap lug could not have been placed in a worse position. However, it is the Wurlitzer of MF SLRs and

arguably the most versatile Nikon SLR ever........just not quite as cool as my F3HP/MD4 ;-)

You're right, though - noone <I>needs</I> an F4......but so what? It's an awesome, impressive beast of a camera, something every Nikon user should experience.

<p>When I decided to get back into film some 3 years ago, the first camera I got without question was an F4.....actually and F4S. Absolutely every Nikon fan should have one.</p>

<p>I had problems keeping up with a fast moving kid using manual focus lenses, so I got TC-16A....now I get in the ball park and the teleconverter does all the autofocusing that I can't do quick enough with the MF lens I love. Superb results for action and as said before, when using a MF lens and I have the time to focus....wow!!</p>

<p>Get the F4!!</p>

<p>Bob E.</p>

<p>Gee I haven't had any trouble at all shooting MF lenses on my new (to me) Nikon F2 Photomic. And you can shoot the F2 wide open with pre-AI lenses.<br>

Sorry, but much as I thought I loved the pretty face of the Nikon F, I have to admit that I enjoy shooting the F2 intensely.</p>

<p>Whether it would be my "desert island" camera would depend on whether the desert island had power for charging batteries, I suppose. The F2 works fine without the batteries.</p>

<p>I am seriously proposing that a manual camera is a nice choice for manual lenses, especially if your MF AI lenses still have the prong on them. I hear good things about the F3 for those who are not committed to pre-AI glass (and I have a religious objection to circumcising my pre-AI lenses).</p>