More time travel with Soviet gear -- the Zenit C

<p>This is a bit of a continuation of my last post featuring my first experiments with the Soviet rangefinder family. Along with a Zorki 1 (identical to the FED 1), a FED 2 (very handsome camera), and a Zorki 4 (probably the last interesting RF from the era), I acquired a Zenit C (first released in 1955). The C was essentially a Zenit 1 (which was based on a Zorki 1 with a prism added to the top). This camera was first produced in 1952 (a full 7 years before the Nikon F!) Because of its RF lineage, the Zenit is super-compact -- smaller to hold than an Olympus OM-1 from 1972. But the number of m39 lenses is limited and it won't even take the same lenses as the RF cousins. Nevertheless, I was extremely impressed by the handling and the quality of the glass. And in real-world conditions, the camera is quite a capable shooter (even with the pain of being a bottom loader). </p><div>00ZBxB-389981584.jpg.a18675b8854c1f4a48a2d3d7852f6034.jpg</div>

<p>For those of you ho may no t know, Toronto in the summer is full of festivals and events. One of the lesser known non-mainstream events that have been running for many many years is the Muhtadi Drum Festival, held every year at Queen's Park in June. Here are some images taken of the Brazilian percussion troupe, Maracatu Mar Aberto. Fantastic performance that had the crowd on its feet! </p><div>00ZByU-390005584.jpg.31b57faad4b4b66e79878500ec8ab0ca.jpg</div>

<p>Cliff, I see a pattern of diagonal stripes across the bottom of the image. I've never seen lens flare that looked like that, but I think that's what Capital Q was referring to. (I'm no expert in these things, so the fact that I've never seen it doesn't mean it's not lens flare.)</p>

<p>(Edited to change a mistake in user names. D'oh.)</p>

<p>Heh heh.<br /> What we have here is what the Leicaflex would have looked like if the USSR had occupied <em>all</em> of Germany at the end of WWII, and not just Dresden in the East.</p>

<p>I have never found these Soviet SLRs to be 'easy' but, as I've said before, 'easy' is not all there is.</p>

<p>Nice work with it.</p>

<p>By the way, you are aware that the shutter can be left slightly open at the end of a roll on a number of these Soviet "Leicas", and if you rewind without the lens cap on, you can get anywhere from major catastrophe to minor light leaks?</p>

<p>Nice work <strong>CQ</strong>, the Alfia Drummer is beautiful. As you mentioned, I also found that the flares in the FSU lenses can be controlled to good effect by positioning the camera angle and the perspective. Also beware of shooting into the Sun directly, as in the last picture. It could cause burn- holes in the shutter curtain! That is something we all tend to forget when changing from an SLR to a focal plane cloth shutter Range Finder camera. Thanks for the post; will expect more. sp.</p>

<p>JDM and SP - thanks for the advice on the peculiarities around the shooting into the sun and rewinding. i shot a test roll on a zorki 4 and it had light leaks all over it after i rewound it without a cap. perhaps this was the problem. </p>

<p>RvanN: thanks for the encouragement, comrade. what can i say about the newton rings? the inexpensive apx film i use curls horribly when it dries (unlike ilford or kentmere). it only flattens after i place it under some heavy books but who can wait that long to make scans? at least you know that i'm actually shooting real film and not passing off digital as film... </p>