james phillips

I live where I am somewhat isolated from most LF photographers and

was wondering how much time most of you spend in your hobby or

profession? As an example I spent six hours in total yesterday in my

darkroom, two hours the night before and probably on the average

sixteen hours a month in shooting time. Adding to that at least

another sixteen hours a month on the net in photography related

sites, as well as reading two or three evenings a week, photography

related books and my time starts to add up.

Maybe I am asking� do I need to join �Photography�s Anonymous�

and can I be cured?

�She who must be obeyed� made me ask this. :>))

Hello Grey Wolf- it appears that "She who must be obeyed" needs more of your attention. Why not teach her how to make prints in the darkroom? At least take her along on shoots. Let her carry the tripod and set it up. That's what I did. Well,it almost solved the problem. She still wants my attention. Thank goodness!

I spent about as much time as you do, but I don't think it�s a problem. I could quit anytime I wanted to, really. Heck, all the kids are doing it. If it makes me feel good and I don't hurt anyone, why should I quit? It's no one else's business, anyway. I'm not like those other guys. They're the ones with a problem, not me!

I could spent more time rationalizing, but I need to go develop some film......

No matter what you do to interest your wife in photography, she'll almost certainly never become as involved as you are. In the last year or so my wife has taken an interest in photography, and, of course, I've been very careful to encourage her without smothering her. Although this has given us some common ground, it's still clear to me that my lf outings will probably remain solo affairs (if you will).

I think the answer to your problem is actually quite simple, spend more quality time with her. If you can prove that you can be a loving and supportive mate *and* a dedicated photographer, she'd probably be a lot more tolerant of it. And if you really want to involve her, why not take some flattering portraits of her and make a big framed print of *her* favorite. Enabling her to benefit directly from your interest in photography certainly couldn't hurt.

By the way, to answer your question more directly, I spend about four hours a week on photography-related pursuits. In good months the average might be double. I don't have a darkroom, so all of this time is spent out of the house or poking around this forum.

One last tid bit, I'd like to recommend a book I bought for my wife as an excellent and unintimidating introduction to photography: "101 Essential Tips on Photography" by Michael John Langford.

Starting at age 11 with a box camera I dug out of a trash barrel, I was "hooked," and was preoccupied with photo until my retirement 54 years later. I did do other things, like coin collecting, swimming, scuba diving, tinkering with hot rods, backpacking and camping, girls, flying, enjoying all the lively arts, etc., but my camera was EVER present. I turned pro in my late '20s, and spent even MORE time shooting and in the lab, and relished every minute of it. Whenever a group ofus got together, I was always the one with the camera. There are many rewarding professions and life styles, and photography is right up there with the best. Many people have no real interest in the arts, literature, sports, travel, history, science, and learning in general, but most everyone relates to photography in SOME way, either actively or passively. Photography is connected, in some way, with almost every human activity.....think about it!

"She who must be obeyed"?? I assume you have a good relationship in other areas, but she feels a little lacking in attention. I guess you have to decide what's most important to you. Your relationsip or your private pursuits. Once she finds ways to fill her time without you, you might as well through in the towel. To me it sounds like you are spending to much time away from your relationship. Obviously she thinks so, so it doesn't matter what we think is reasonable or not. Life is about compromises.

But you don't want to take advise from me. I determined that my photography and scuba diving was more important than my relationship. Now I'm free to do what I like, for as long as I like, and with whom I like. You'd be surprised how many gals are really into photography and / or scuba diving.

I agree in principle with the lines above stating you cannot be cured. Even if you run away it will become chronic denial and not good for your health. Some tips though on dealing with "She Who Must be Obeyed".

Firstly, I believe this term is somewhat outdated. I prefer "Minister for War, Finance & Entertainment". If anyone needs further explanation on this they can feel free to email me.

The following points assume the partner is a wife. I'm sure the other sex can use similar instances with different implementations

Do's

1. Bribe her. Bribe her again. This entails proper planning. I approach it the same way I approach software project management - always factor in all the costs. For e.g. my recent purchase of an Ebony 45s has cost me a new lounge / dining suite and two long weekends away.

2. Attempt to involve them in some aspect. I have gone to a couple of workshops with my wife.

Dont's

1. Insist she comes to all dawn shoots. From past experiences this may lead to obscene languages and even bruising. Come back, make here breakfast and show here the shots later.

2. Use her head as a tripod. Even though you are on a boat and she is standing in front of you and the lens is light it will not work. Camera shake actually increases along with acute pains & chronic hysteria.

3. Use good kithenware to hold photographic chemicals.

4. Run. They will always find you.

8^)>

@ndrewm