Nikon D200 Raw compared to Nikon D700 Raw

susan_winn

<p>I have a Nikon D200 I use when I photograph weddings. I photographed a wedding last Saturday and I decided to rent to D700 as my primary camera for the wedding and use my D200 as my second camera. For all weddings, events, portraits etc. I photograph in Raw format. <br>

When I got home and uploaded the images to my computer I noticed the Raw images I shot with the D200 saved around 15 MB while the D700 images saved around 10MB. I thought this was odd and wondered if anyone knew why there would be such a gap?</p>

<p>I thought it would be compression since on my D200 I have the RAW compression set to Optimal Quality, however, with the D700 I was unable to find this setting. I checked the Owners Manuel and asked the company I rented the camera from and was unsuccessful! If anyone knows how to access this feature on the D700 that would be helpful since I will be renting it again soon.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>on my D200 I have the RAW compression set to Optimal Quality</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, there is no such setting on the D200. "Optimal Quality" is only available as a JPEG Compression option, not RAW compression.<br />On the D200, go to the Shooting Menu -> RAW Compression, you have two choices:</p>

<ol>

<li>NEF (RAW)</li>

<li>Comp. NEF (RAW), that is compressed RAW.</li>

</ol>

<p>On the D700, again go to the Shooting Menu -> NEF (RAW) Recording, you have to sets of choices:</p>

<ol>

<li>Type: 3 choices: Lossless Compressed, Compressed (lossy), and Uncompressed</li>

<li>NEF (RAW) bit depth: 12 bit or 14 bit</li>

</ol>

<p>If you choose the combination of 12-bit capture and lossy compressed RAW, you will end up with smaller image files.</p>

<p>I typically use 14-bit capture and lossless compressed on the D700. In the D200 generation, lossless compressed was not an option.</p>

<p>Shun,<br>

Now I am really confused. On my D-300s, I normally shoot NEF 12 bit. Howver when shooting H.D.R. I switch to 14<br>

bit. Looking at my menu, I never considered shooting TIFF RGB. What are the advantages of shooting in this format?<br>

I print my own work and normally print above 8"x!0". As always, thanks in advance. Joe</p>

<p>A TIFF file is just like a JPG except there is no compression, so the file is very large compared to a JPG and there is no loss at all in detail. That is the only advantage. Like a JPG file, you loose all the advantages of shooting RAW.</p>

<p>Sorry, I never mentioned shooting directly in the TIFF format in my only ealrier post in this thread. The term "TIFF" is not in that post at all. I wonder why this thread turns into that direction all of a sudden.</p>

<p>I almost never shoot TIFF; the resulting images files are usually much bigger and of course you don't get more information than what you can get from RAW. A few years ago, that was still a major issue due to the high cost of memory cards. Today, memory is so cheap that it is not really an issue any more.</p>

<p>Just to add to possible reasons: noise levels can significantly affect RAW file size - the noisier the image, the larger a RAW file has to be to contain all the high frequency noise detail. The improved low-light performance on the D700 might well be making its files substantially smaller in similar conditions. The D700 also has quite an aggressive low-pass filter - I don't know what the one on the D200 is like, but if it's weaker, this might also make for larger files on the older camera. That may be a red herring, but it's a thought.<br />

<br />

FWIW, the primary reason to shoot TIFF is if you want losslessly compressed image data but you don't have access to software which can read a proprietary RAW file. TIFF is standard, so it's more likely that arbitrary software can read it. Since the software I use can process RAW files directly, I don't think I've ever used TIFF in the camera. There may be a day when I need it.</p>