Is Really Right Stuff AcraTech/Arca-Swiss compatible?

asimrazakhan

<p>I think compatability issues arose when RRS came out with their quick release flip-handle clamp. Since it has a pre-set tension, it may not clamp down hard enough on different brand plate profiles. Even if the tension is variable, a person may have to keep adjusting it between plates/brackets.</p>

<p>If you have a clamp that you manually tighten, I believe hand-tightening will work across various brands.</p>

<p>IIRC the same issue exists with Markins lever clamps and they fit a screw device to adjust the clamp size a little. The problem comes when someone uses a Markins lever clamp with non Markins plates of more than one origin. Then there's a chance that the differing plates may need the clamp to be adjusted differently and doing that repetitively is likely to be at least a major pain and potentially just unmanageable in the field. The answer is clearly either to use screw clamps, or to stick to one brand of plates and if necessary set your clamp to cope with those. <br>

I decided, as a committed lever clamp person, to just go with RRS for ballhead, lever clamp and plates. Works really well.</p>

<p>I should say also that the people responding to telephone and email queries at places like RRS etc answer this sort of question a dozen times a day and I found all the people I communicated with ressuringly helpful.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>IIRC the same issue exists with Markins lever clamps and they fit a screw device to adjust the clamp size a little. The problem comes when someone uses a Markins lever clamp with non Markins plates of more than one origin. Then there's a chance that the differing plates may need the clamp to be adjusted differently and doing that repetitively is likely to be at least a major pain and potentially just unmanageable in the field. The answer is clearly either to use screw clamps, or to stick to one brand of plates and if necessary set your clamp to cope with those. <br>

I decided, as a committed lever clamp person, to just go with RRS for ballhead, lever clamp and plates. Works really well.</p>

<p>I should say also that the people responding to telephone and email queries at places like RRS etc answer this sort of question a dozen times a day and I found all the people I communicated with ressuringly helpful.</p>

<p> </p>